“Overpromised, Overpriced & Underdelivered” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

You added Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Lilianfels Ave | Echo Point, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780 , Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Katoomba
Clarence Point, Australia
“Overpromised, Overpriced & Underdelivered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel simply does not deliver. The rooms are pokey and whilst the view is unbelievable, the shared balcony is not my idea of a luxury experience. On the other hand, the restaurant (run seperately) is exceptional. My suggestion would be to stay somewhere else and dine at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Katoomba, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My goodness what an expensive mistake we made 11/9/12 by going to the Echo restaurant at the Echo Hotel. It promotes itself as "high end" but it was obvious from the off that it lacked polish. I do wish they wouldn't put your tonic in your gin with asking and simply drown it. For a ten quid G and T you might expect an olive or a nut but none were presented. The lady taking our initial food order asked us if we would like to order our dessert - very strange. OK, maybe that's a bit picky but the food was a huge disappointment. The scallop starter was nice enough but "ballotine of guinea fowl with mushroom duxelle" and further fancy description was just not that nice. It was simply a breast rolled, with palid rubbery skin wrapped around it, accompanied by a tiny, hard, chewy thigh which was pretty much inedible. The mushroom duxelle was cold, and the "heritage carrots" very hard even for someone like me who likes their veg on the crisp side. I opted to have cheeses afterwards as I was still hungry and the platter was huge with big pieces of 7 types of cheese, some of them rather odd choices, and it goes without saying, not enough crackers. The apple chutney and the quince paste that was meant to be the accompanyments were simply not there and when I asked for them I was told that there was no chutney left, but I did get two small pieces of the chewyest fruity matter I have ever struggled through (ie, the quince paste). With three of the cheaper glasses of wine between us (no coffee) it cost us about $250 (aussie) or 160 English pounds. OUFFF!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I feel very disappointed with the treatment received at a supposed 5 star resort. I booked a room for over $1000, which was charged to my card straight away. I then received a call later that day to say the room had not been booked and there was no availability the weekend that we wanted, despite it having been confirmed over the phone. The refund to my card has still not been paid and I have been offered no compensation, so I am effectively short $1200 for the month. The receptionist, Cathy, was incredibly rude and made no attempt to acknowledge how inconvenienced I have been. I cannot believe that a resort that claims to be 'luxury' and 'boutique' can have such poor customer service.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Luxury hotel. Very nice facilities, including the on-site day spa. Great restrauant with incredible views of the Blue Mountains. Nice room with plently of space. On-site parking. Walking distance from Echo Point. Some facilities like the pool are actually at the hotel next door, part of the same ownership. This means the property is not full of kids playing in the pool, but the pool is a short walk away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I booked a room here for my partners birthday. I loved the small hotel feel, the fireplace and the amazzzzzing views. The bed was comfortable and clean. Room service was good and overall service was friendly. The food we had at diner was really nice too, a little highly priced, but well worth it. Yes the rooms are small, and the bathroom too, but accomodation is cosy and most of all comfortable and clean. I enjoyed the stay I had experienced here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Went there for the night with my best friend who lives in Sydney as her treat. Really stunning. Great views. Very comfy bed and linen. Liked the small hotel feel. Only had breakfast which was great but for that price they could have offered a full breakfast. And a pet peeve of mine is staying at a luxury hotel and them charging for WIFI. But all in all a great stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here overnight for our first year anniversary. I have to say the entire stay way amazing from the moment we arrived. We happened to arrive early and they let us check in straight away without and waiting and without any issues and upon learning it was our anniversary staff arranged a free bottle of champagne to be delivered to our room- very nice touch! When we booked i specifically wanted a room with a spa bath and views and i was advised that the only room left with a spa didnt have very good views but i was pleasently surprised to find that this wasnt entirely the case- the window looked out on the neighbours backyard but then beyond that was enless valleys & mountains so sitting on the balcony was bliss :) The one thing i will say is that you pay for the service and the view as the room its self was just ok for the cost. Dont get me wrong the room was really pretty but NOT practicle- eg the only powerpoint for the kettle was in the bathroom, the bathroom was really really small, 1 of the lamps was MUCH brighter than the other (not really a down side but not perfection either) and the dodgy little tv actually put me off a bit considering the standard of everything else. We went for dinner in the resteraunt upstairs and i was blown away with the quality of food and again because it was our anniversary we were offered dessert for free which we were too full to eat but then they simply suggested it could be delivered to our room at a later time- WOW...free dessert... in bed....What more can i say!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!