“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

You added Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5-19 Lilianfels Avenue, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I recently stayed at Lilianfels in the Blue Mountains and I must say that I was impressed. There were the occasional small things that could be improved, but that was generally more me nit-picking than anything major.

First, the location. Lilianfels is a short walk from Echo Point and the Three Sisters. Some rooms have a view into the valley, which I am sure would be amazing. Even the views on the other side of the hotel are rather nice. By close, the car park for Echo Point is attached to Lilianfels Park. This is across the road from the hotel. In essence, you only save a few meters if you drive.

Lilianfels takes up an entire block, and consists of several buildings, most of which are used for things such as the restaurant and the like. The hotel itself is a large modern ‘country house’ type building with lots of gables and looks amazing. Parking is available in front of the main entrance. The parking is a bit limited, but I am sure there is more available somewhere. There is also street parking available if the car park does fill up.

Check In was simple, although I was slightly surprised to be given a key. Yes, a real key. This is unusual these days. Most places have key cards, and I suspect that it will not be too long before this place upgrades too. We were on the first floor so took the lift up one floor. The lift looks elegant, and well maintained. We were given the option of paying for breakfast on check in. This would have been $28 per person, which is cheaper than the $38 per person for a cooked breakfast if you have not pre-paid. We declined as we were not sure we would be up in time.

Finding our room was a bit of a challenge. The corridors are a series of decisions. Left at the lift, then left again, then right then left and that is your room. The corridors are beautifully presented.

Getting into the room was great. The room is wall papered to match the curtains and the valance around the bed and the curtains. Actually, the walls are covered with the fabric from those items. The bed is a real double bed, and although it was slightly harder than I am used to was more than comfortable. The bed has a brass and steel bed head. A nice feature was the ability to turn all the lights on and off from bed. The air conditioner remote was next to the bed too, and was rather modern.

The air conditioner was quiet and warm as needed – just as required in the mountains in winter.

The bathroom has a sunken bath just large enough for two people. The spout swivels out of the way to make it easier on the second person. There is also a separate shower, although the shower head design makes it difficult to keep your hair dry without wearing a shower cap. It seems to be a bit high up the wall. The whole bathroom is marble which is a nice touch, and there are enough flat surfaces to put things.

They provided two towels per person, and they are nice and large. The two things that I would change would be to add under floor heating and a towel heater. Not that either were needed, but they would have been nice.

The big let down was the TV. Most modern places are moving towards plasma screens. Unfortunately at Lilianfels, we are left with a 53cm TV/VCR combo with separate DVD player. The picture on the TV was not great, even from DVD, indicating that the TV has seen better days. Even worse was the picture from free to air and cable TV. The picture needs improvements. There were no pay per view movies, but I must say that the provision of the DVD player was one of the reasons I chose this place. Basically, the TV needs to be upgraded.

In room dining was good, although the menu was a bit limited. My girlfriend has an allergy meaning that we needed to send her meal back when they added pepper to her meat. Even with a $10 service charge for room service, the room service prices are cheaper than the restaurant. A dinner for two without drinks cost $90.

On our second night we went to Darley’s which is in an old house on the property. It was really really nice. The house has separate rooms, so you may be able to ask for a separate room if you have a special occasion. I don’t know, but they seemed to have a can do attitude. I should warn you that the food is not cheap, and they have moved to a ‘two course minimum’. This is something that I do not really like. It is $85 for two courses, and $105 for three. The food was really nice, but do not go here if you want large portions. You will not be hungry afterwards but the portions are not large. Surprisingly, mineral water was not bad at only $5 for a 750ml bottle.

The hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool, and an indoor one too. There is a billiards room with full size table and a reading room with a collection of books. And to top things off, the ground floor lounge area has two open fireplaces.

Oh, and the rooms have solid walls so you tend not to hear other people in the hotel. This is a novel feature.

All in all, I loved my time at Lilianfels. It is worth the money, but it is not cheap.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
snelly123
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Nice stay at this hotel . We found the rooms spacious and staff helpful. As one previous reviewer mentions this place is not cheap but does not deserve the last review. We found it in all a nice stay.

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend 18-21 June as a quick getaway from the city. Whenever we stay in the Blue Mountains we always choose Lilianfels, except for that one lapse in judgement when we stayed elsewhere (never ever again).

From the minute we pulled in we felt as though we were special guests. Our checkin was seamless and even though the receptionist had a "trainee" badge on, we didn't niotice anything out of sync. Reception was crowded with guests checking out and although we were slightly early checking in, we were given our room and escorted to the lift. We were greeted cordially by everyone we encountered and wished a good day. Very friendly but not overbearing staff.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and had a fabulous unobstructed view of the valley outside. It's the small personal touches that made us feel comfortable and welcomed. A lovely card welcoming us back to the hotel and plate of sweets welcomed our entrance. There must be a record of our preferences as my husband had very firm pillows on his side while my side had the pre-requisite 4 pillows that I prefer.

The room was spotless and we can't fault one thing in the bathroom or separate lounge room.

There were 2 highlights to our stay:
The first was our dinner at Darley's. While some may find the menu limited and the 3 course requirement arrogant, it is faultless. I have a number of food allergies which are strange to say the least, but the most troublesome one would be an allergy to onions. As most restaurants, and indeed French style cooking, tends to rely heavily on shallots, onions and the like, I was a bit nervous about approaching the menu and wondering if there would be someting suitable. When mentioning my allergy to the waitress, she reviewed every selection on the menu for me and indicated which would be allergy free for me. Unfortunately, I had my heart set on the lamb dish and I was doomed to disappointment as she explained even the jus had been cooked with shallots. However, she went off to speak with the chef and on return, confirmed that he would be able to cook a special dish for me of lamb, root vegetables and potato mash. I was given a specially made appetiser and entree as well.. The service was absolutely impeccable, the food divine and much to my husband's disappointment, the best potato mash I have ever tried (including his). I have stayed in 5 star hotels and eaten at some of the best restuarants and this has to be up there with the food quality and service. I have had others claim onion free food only to suffer for the lie it was later on but Darley's chef and wait staff are to be commended on the outstanding service they provided me that night. Oh and my husband (who can eat anything without recourse and does) was over the moon with the venison dish.

The 2nd highlight was the spa experience.
The ladies in the spa are thoughtful, professional and friendly. The massage was so relaxing I did fall asleep for a spell. The spa at Lilianfels has never failed to live up to the best massages ever and this time I indulged in a facial as well. The atmosphere and the soothing tones was just what I needed to get over the stress of the past few months. The only thing I would say about the spa though was there was a moment when another guest brought a child in that decided to have a tanty. I couldn't tell if it was in the locker room and the sound carried or if it was just outside the door. Unfortunately, my lady needed to excuse herself to quiet the guest but as I was in such a deep relaxation, it didn't phase me as it may have done others.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the mountains.

Sydney, Aust
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I was worried things might have changed since this hotel changed hands in Jan 2010, but there was no need. After checking TripAdvisor and seeing some recent good reviews, I found a good, discounted room rate and booked a two night get-away. We have stayed here four or five times before and love the location, the ambience of a small, unique hotel, the rooms and the service, and little has changed. Still the same warm, low-key, Aussie welcome and service. Some familiar faces, always a delight to see, and great rooms. Yes, things have changed, but they are minor. I have seen on TripAdvisor complaints about the loss of the a la carte menu for in-house breakfast, but noted on the first morning people were ordering whatever they wanted, instead of helping themselves to the buffet. This is a five-star establishment, and so you can ask for whatever you like - access to the steam room before 10am during the week? No problem, just ask. Poached eggs for breakfast? No problem, just ask. And if you arrive by 5.30pm on a Friday night, you can have complimentary drinks with the Managing Director and have a frank discussion with him about his hotel, his wonderful staff, his plans for the Hydro Majestic and who he thinks will win the World Cup. He is a very clever person who has great vision for the hotel and believes in the personal touches a small hotel can provide. Expect to see some wonderful ideas come to fruition over the next year or so. This is a great place to rest, get some wonderful mountain air and leave the city version of yourself behind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

check your credit card statments as they charged me without authorisation and no information at all. Got no answer on my written complaint. They also messd up our reservation and we got not the room we have paid for. The ownership has changed and you can feel it - service is below average and compared to the price paid not worth the money - never again and defintly no recommandation

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed at the Lilianfels for two nights on our honeymoon trip to Australia. We arrived in the evening when it was misty, which is not the weather you want in the Blue Mountains!! But in the morning, when the mist had cleared, it was clear just what a stunning location for a hotel. We were upgraded to a corner suite which was simply perfect. The hotel is lovely all around, the concierge is super helpful, the staff are all very pleasant, its got a fab pool and just has a very calm, welcoming ambience. The restaurants onsite are great, we had a steak dinner which was great Aussie food and the breakfasts were extensive. The hotel even packed us a picnic for our morning adventure down into the valley. All in all a terrific hotel, probably the best we stayed in during our trip. Not a cheap stay but worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I was thrilled that we chose our 3 day break to be at Lilianfels. What a lovely, relaxing experience. The hotel has a beautiful ambiance, the service was very good, rooms very comfortable , valet parking and my husband even had a massage which he enjoyed. It was beautiful to sit in the loungeroon next to the fire place listening to the pianao and drinking lovely coffee. We look forward to returning for another great experince soon. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
3.5 of 5 stars 310 reviews
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!