“Old-world feel with modern amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

You added Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5-19 Lilianfels Avenue, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Bega, Australia
“Old-world feel with modern amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for three nights in a top-floor, valley-view suite. It was worth the extra to get a room which allows you to watch the evening light transform the sandstone cliffs of the national park, from the comfort of your own room. Our rooms, like the resort in general, were elegantly furnished, generous-sized and charming. The resort itself is recently-built (so you get modern plumbing), in a style which echoes the 1930's, when the Blue Mountains were many Sydney-siders' preferred escape. The bed was comfortable and sound-proofing excellent.
The staff were all welcoming, efficient and friendly. The grounds were manicured and beautifully-planted. Given the crush of tourists outside, it was a relief to have a quiet, comfortable, place to recover.
The Blue Mountains themselves however do offer wonderful landscapes to explore and the public gardens in the area are justifiably famous. Katoomba is a disappointing, rather shabby, town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at Lilianfels for a short weekend break just to refresh our very stressed lives of late and boy did it achieve that. My husband and I were extremely impressed before we even left home as the resort called to ask what time we would be arriving and if they could do anything for us before check-in. Even Darleys restaurant rang to ask if we had any special dietary requirements when we were on the way up there and confirmed the time of our dinner for the first night there.

I had mentioned VERY briefly when booking the accommodation over the phone that it was our anniversary and there was a lovely written note on the desk for us when we arrived, nice touch! The trip up was rather stressful up there (roadworks, school zones, heavy traffic) and I mentioned to my husband that I was hoping to arrive in paradise to forget the awful trip up there - well we arrived! Check in was fabulous, staff extremely courteous and the car was whipped away by valet parking before I could blink (valet even asked do I want car underneath the building or outside!). We felt immersed in this heavenly place from the minute we arrived, the historic place gives off such a homely and caring environment and we both felt that. Up to our Deluxe Valley View room - very nice largeish room with great views of the valley with a lovely bathroom also. The seat in the corner was the comfiest place to just relax and read the paper or a magazine - I could have slept on that all weekend, but I have to admit the bed was to die for, so luxurious. Champagne arrived within 5 minutes of being in the room and there were some handmade chocolates on the desk for us which were amazingly tasteful, made in the kitchen.

I must admit we spent a great deal of time in The Lounge which we adored, it was so nice to just sit there, relax, chat, drink, eat and enjoy time together and also just watch the other couples having a lovely time also - a wonderful pianist played in the evenings and you could see people just put their heads back on the chairs, shut their eyes and relax with the music. Simply heavenly.

We explored the resort several times finding the most luxurious and decadent gardens you've ever seen - it was like being back home in a grand manor in England for me, they only have 2 gardeners and I don't know how on earth they keep up with it, but everywhere you turn there are stunning flower beds, fountains, places to explore, its wonderful, bit like Alice in Wonderland.

Impressed that they had indoor and outdoor pools, didn't use either but they were lovely, especially indoor pool which was heated and seemed quite hot in there, very nice wicker furniture scattered around the pool which you could quite happily chill in and unwind.

In our eyes staff could not do enough for you throughout the entire resort, you were made to feel special, if your water was getting low they were right there to top it up without being in your face, they were willing to chat with you when you wanted to ask them things, I really could not fault the staff at all. An extremely big thank you to all staff who looked after us for the weekend, they were amazing!

We dined at Darleys (separate review) the first night and really had a nice meal there but we did prefer Echos (another review) on the second night. The food choices at Darleys had less variation I thought but all in all we had great meals at both restaurants and I would highly recommend them both. Wine choices were different at both restaurants and reasonably priced. I gotta mention have the Paris Mash at Darleys - its to DIE for! We could have eaten a bowl of that each.

I would also highly recommend Deluxe High Tea in The Lounge, warning though - make sure you book in advance because staff did advise us that it can be extremely busy on the weekends. It runs from 11am-5pm. You can have High Tea for $55 or Deluxe High Tea with champagne for $65, my initial thought was it was overpriced but if you compare it with other hotels/resorts its actually quite reasonable and the amount of food was quite a lot, so we thought it was worth it. The sandwiches, scones, cakes etc were so scrumptious.

Breakfast in The Orangery was great, a good selection of eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms and whatever else you could possibly want for breakfast from cereal, yoghurt, French pastries, homemade breads, salmon and a cheese platter. The stupid thing about breakfast is that the cost of tea/coffee is NOT included in the price, personally for a 5 star resort I think that is ridiculous. I have spent a lot of time overseas in many types of hotels etc and I've NEVER paid for tea/coffee at breakfast. They need to change that, but when you want a tea you want a tea so you have to pay for it!

My only complaint would be that they could do with sign posting things a little better around the interior of the resort, I couldn't find the spa for example for my Royal Temple 2 hour experience which I highly recommend.

All in all, a wonderful short stay which refreshed us and left us with extremely fond memories of a wonderful place with VERY few flaws. We will return. And once again, thanks to the wonderful staff

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We only got to stay there one evening, but would love to return for a longer stay. The view is terrific as you would expect from the location. The rooms are very well appointed in a historic sort of a way. Huge bathroom and gorgeous grounds that include parking which is important in this town. I'd suggest a drink on the patio to soak in the view. Cost is subjective and it would be up to each individual to determine if they received enough value for their money. If you tend to go for modern over historic, this might not suite you at all.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last weekend for a quick getaway without the little one. The hotel has a gracious old feel about it but let's itself down in so many ways. Paid extra for the valley view room only to get a room with a view of an old rusted roof and the side wall of another wing of the hotel. After we complained they did move us to a room with a better view but still the beautiful vista is through quite a modest window. At $500 per night a room you'd expect that would cover most things but no, Internet access costs extra and that's not wifi, to use the phone for a local call costs extra ($10 for a 10 minute local call), to pay by credit card (including visa and MC) costs 1% extra and a decent coffee with breakfast costs $5.50 extra. They do throw in a free paper. Had dinner at Darley's and again quite disappointing, really not doing anything interesting on the menu to reflect the prices. I understand it is probably difficult to recruit and retain good chefs up there but adjust your prices accordingly and there would be nothing to complain about. This review might make me sound like a tight wad but I actually like spending money on things that are of a good quality. Unfortunately Lilianfels is not. It's strikes me it's a hotel struggling to stay afloat so management are tightening the belt at the expense of the customer's enjoyment. It's a sure way to send the hotel broke. Good luck guys, we won't be back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at Lilianfels in June for three nights. We booked very last minute and so there was only a room with 'resort view' I was a little worried that this would just be the car park but it was absolutely fine. I didn't feel cheated out of the view at all as you get to enjoy the mountain views from the lounge and everytime you step outside. The room itself was gorgeous. The decor was traditional yet still retained a modern, clean feel. My only negative was the bathroom was a bit dated- but it was fine. Breakfast was lovely. A nice choice of items. All buffet. My only gripe at breakfast was we ordered coffees each day and then at the end of the stay we saw we had been charged $3 or $4 for each coffee(I can't recall the amount now as it was a few months ago). We didn't mind paying but felt we should have been told by someone over the three breakfasts that coffees were not included. We dined at Darleys which was a lovely meal. Friendly, warm service and a great standard of food. It was a really nice atmosphere to dine by the fire in the middle of winter. We had afternoon tea in the lounge which was lovely. It was a nice relaxing area but we didn't realise you had to book couches if you want to sit in the lounge so reserve to be on the safe side as we couldn't get in one afternoon. Again- this should be explained at check in I feel. I also used the spa facilities and had a pedicure. The spa was very nice and the standard of the treatment was also very good. All in all we had a lovely stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here on a busy Saturday night with one or two weddings being held at the resort - to be expected on a weekend in September. This is a very historic residence in the area and it is very cosy in a very old fashioned kind of way, combined with the sense of grandeur it must have once had. Could do with a refresh, considering the rates charged.

I requested a quiet room and got what they considered one of their quietest - on the far end of the resort but unfortunately eyeball to eyeball with anyone parked by the side of the road that runs along the resort. Hard to reconcile the lack of privacy when paying $500 a night for bed and breakfast. I requested and received an alternative room which was situated above the indoor pool - much more private, with a hedge obscuring parked and passing cars, and I didn't mind the constant hum of the pool below - no sounds of people using the pool at all.

Service was OK, staff seemed a bit weary, but still friendly.

Overall I would probably prefer Echoes over Lilianfels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Maroochydore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a special anniversary trip away to the Blue Mountains for my partner and I. We booked a special midweek luxury indulgence package which included, two nights accommodation, breakfast, 3 course dinner in the fine dining restaurant (Darleys) on one night and two 60 min relaxation massages. The weekend was a great success the resorts spa is lovely, we used the indoor swimming pool, our room was very well presented and very clean, the bed was 'heavenly' and the bathroom was old world luxury charm. We also really enjoyed the High Tea on one afternoon. The property is perfectly located to experience the best of the 3 Sisters and Scenic World. We enjoyed the walks and will do a positive review of Scenic World, Katoomba township on the other hand was a little disappointing.
The staff were very polite and professional and best of all they left us alone to enjoy our time together. Overall our stay was fantastic and my partner she absolutely loved her stay which is the most important thing.

Room Tip: We paid extra of a 'Scenic View' but in reality this was not worth the extra expense as with...