“fantastic day” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Activities in Katoomba
13 attraction reviews
“fantastic day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had a great day on the explorer bus and at scenic world. Well worth it and well managed professional tour and friendly informative drivers.

Visited February 2014
Jason C, General Manager at Blue Mountains Explorer Bus, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your feedback, so glad you had a great day.

Regards,

• Indonesian first
london
5 attraction reviews
“If you are fit and active and not on a day trip; you don't need it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I bought the three day train ticket and bus pass combined from Central Station in Sydney. The bus ticket proved to be a total waste of money for me for several reasons.
As it was summer, the days were long and hot. On the afternoon I arrived the bus arrived back in town by 5pm, as there were still hours of daylight left I ended up walking back from Leura.
The ticket doesn't include transport or even a discount to the Jenolan Caves, which is where I wanted to go on my only full day on the mountains, so it didn't get used. On the third day the bus didn't start running until nearly 10am, by then it was hot and as I only had half a day left, I wanted to start early. In the end I decided to walk to the three sisters from Katoomba, it only took 15 minutes at most. I had been out walking for nearly four hours before the bus had even started running, so again it was not used.

At nearly 40 dollars- i used it once, on the first day to get to Leura Cascades, this tool around 20 min, so it was a very expensive journey.
The commentary was informative and the bus drivers very pleasant and the map they give you is also good.
However, unless you are in a hurry and on a day trip, have small children or struggle to walk long distances, it isn't worth it especially if you are staying overnight in Katoomba and it is good weather.

Visited January 2014
Jason C, General Manager at Blue Mountains Explorer Bus, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Hi Traviesa123,

Thanks for your review, sorry that you did not feel you received value for money out of your three day pass. I can understand that you were disappointed that the bus did not service Jenolan Caves which is 75 kilometers from katoomba, it is just too far to try and offer a hop on hop bus this distance.

It is a shame that it seems you also did not make use of the unlimited train travel from Zig Zag station to Wentworth Falls station, the two main stations and attractions being Blackheath for the Grose Valley and Wentworth Falls for the walks - both these locations have the largest and second largest waterfall in the Blue Mountains and seeing you were a keen walker this would have been perfect for you.

As for the buses not starting until 9.45am, yes sorry if you were up and about by 6.00am wanting to get going however we have tried earlier and later buses and the vast majority seem to want to sleep in and enjoy breakfast before getting going so again sorry for this.

I am sure if you had of used the hop on hop bus fully for all three days you would have been slightly happier but appreciate you wanted to go to Jenolan.

Again, sorry that you felt you did not receive value for money but thanks for the good feedback for our driver and their commentary.

Regards,

Singapore, Singapore
“Good if you are there for a few days”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I bought the explorer bus tickets from the guesthouse which I stayed in and paid AUD30 for the length of my stay. The duration of the ticket can actually be stretched up to 7 days. The first bus leaves stop 1 at 9.45am and it takes an hour for the bus to get back to where it started. Last bus leaves at 4.05pm, so do plan your time well otherwise you might need to get back to town by foot. There are local buses but service might end early too, do check it out.

So if you are staying for more than one night, the bus ticket is value for money. I should have saved the AUD$30 because:

I started my walk at 8am and walk till stop 7 on my own. From there, I did the mountain trail all the way to stop 14, echo point. From stop 14, I took the explorer bus to stop 18, the Gordon Falls. From Gordon Falls, again I did the bush walks all the way back to stop 14, echo point and took the bus back to Katoomba town. The 2 rides cost me AUD30 – If you are the budget traveler, save this AUD30. If you like the experience different stuff, go ahead for the experience and scenery from the bus ride and also, you’ll get to meet the cheerful, friendly and humorous driver, Jimmy.

Visited February 2014
Preston, England, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“good way to get around”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

although your limited to were you good we felt that it was good value for money and we liked it as there are a lot of hard walks up and down steepish roads

Visited December 2013
Jason C, General Manager at Blue Mountains Explorer Bus, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your review and I am glad the bus made it easier for you than walking the steep roads.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic drivers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was here for 3 days and made full use of my bus ticket. The drivers, Jimmy especially, are so helpful. As the bus was practically empty, he took a detour to take me to where I wanted to go quicker.

They are full of really useful information and every 'tour' is different.

Hi Rufus,

Thanks for your review and glad that you made good use of your ticket over the three days. Enjoy the rest of your travels.