“Get into the belly of the blue mountains!” 5 of 5 stars

02 47821271
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: One hundred kilometres west of Sydney, NSW, Australia lies one of nature's most magnificent creations, the World Heritage area of the Blue Mountains. Endless stretches of sandstone cliffs, dramatic waterfalls and hidden canyons, a landscape of stunning natural beauty. It provides a fantastic environment for the thrilling adventure activities of abseiling, canyoning, rockclimbing, mountain biking and bushwalking - a lifetime's worth of adventuring is to be had in Sydney's backyard!check out our website for the best fun you can have in Sydney: your next Blue Mountains Adventure!
london
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Get into the belly of the blue mountains!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

These guys provided top notch service from beginning to end, giving great info and being accommodating with times due to my train from Sydney.
The trip was exceptional and if you want to truly see the BM you need to get "in them" via the canyons! Matty my guide was slick and adapted to my ability keeping the trip exciting.
Pick a level of difficuilty to match your experience to get the best enjoyment.
Cheers guys!

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thanks for your comments. We love to try and match people up with a trip that is best for them and I'm glad we're doing a good job.
Hope to see you for another adventure!
Cheers

Sheffield, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Exhilarating trek through breathtaking scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

WOW. A word which finds itself uttered time and time again by all members of the group as it progresses through Yileen Canyon. And the biggest 'wow' factor doesn't even arrive until the canyon is done and all that awaits you is a stunning abseil down a waterfall.

The day started early, leaving Sydney at 6.00 a.m. for the 90-minute drive into Katoomba. Then it was a case of getting fitted up for wetsuits, packing your daysack with dry clothes, gloves and a windbreaker and fixing up your packed lunch with a selection of meat, cheese and salad made available to you. The group set out at 9.00 a.m. for the 45-minute drive out to the canyons.

Our guide, Paddy, was fun, friendly and supremely knowledgeable, comfortably talking us through the fauna, flora and geology of the Blue Mountains. The beautifully fragrant tea tree plant, the razor-sharp sword sage and the intelligent little trigger plants – Paddy knew it all and relayed his knowledge brilliantly.

The route included a 30-minute walk toward the canyon and then a wetsuit-clad wonder down into the canyon. Then there are two abseils, a lengthy walk through ankle-high water and a few patches which require a short (2-metre or so) paddle. It is challenging, it is exciting and it is absolutely beautiful.

Exiting the two-hour canyon route opens the group up onto a view straight over thousands of acres of foliage. This is the top of the daunting sixty-metre waterfall abseil. To say that anything preceding this becomes worthwhile when you embark on this descent is an understatement of offensive proportions – the abseil is absolutely breathtaking. Lean back, relax and enjoy the real wilderness of the Blueies. When the overhang comes, turn around and just look out over the valley. It is astonishing.

What follows is a tiring 90-minute walk out of the canyon over a rough-and-ready 'path'. This includes sliding down rocks, climbing over fallen tree trunks and accepting the fact that bare legs will be scratched, tickled and cut by the undergrowth – though there is nothing in there that gives any cause for concern.

I booked with Blue Mountains Adventure Company as opposed to local competitors because Dylan and Kieron were exceptionally helpful throughout, offering up knowledge, advice and leeway in order for me to delay booking the trip until just 36 hours beforehand. The staff here are second-to-none and Dylan and Kieron's hospitality and helpfulness was followed through perfectly by Paddy and Eric.

Do it. If this is an activity in which you are interested or a company with whom you are considering heading into the Blueies, know that both warrant a fervent recommendation. Trekking Yileen Canyon with the Blue Mountains Adventure Company was one of the best expedition days one could hope for.

Visited December 2011
Dyl_jo, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Thanks for the great feedback and glad we could help out in your planning stage. Hope to see you again for another adventure sometime!
All the best
Dylan
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Adventure Options, excellent instructor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My friend Pauline and I were able to do a 1/2 day canyoning tour with Blue Mountains on our trip to Australia. We are both adventure girls and definitely like to enjoy our time when traveling. We lucked out in that we were the only ones on the tour with Paddy, our guide. This was our first experience canyoning. Customer service was great and they gave lots of options based on our needs vs sticking with the set tours etc. Paddy was great, very knowledgeable, friendly, easy to talk to. He was patient and would make sure we were feeling comfortable. To have an awesome guide to really show us how canyoning is so beautiful and make it a great experience, was incredible. It was probably one of the best adventure excursions I've ever done in all of my travels.

Visited February 2011
Dyl_jo, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thanks for the great review, Paddy is a fantastic guide :)
Paris, France
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

excellent rockclimbing's instructor by far the best I have ever had

Visited December 2010
Los Angeles, California
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 283 helpful votes
“It is much harder then it looks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

ahhh, if the only the weather was better....it was about 63 degrees when we went and the company provided us with wetsuits and thermal underwear. We hiked down a fire road for awhile before turning onto a trail. Lots of bushes and brambles.

TIP: Wear pants and long sleeves

We hiked down and down and down the trail. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the area and quite a nice fellow. Then we arrived at the very hard part. We had to scramble down a steep rock ledge.

TIP: Got gloves? Bring them, will make this part easier. Wear sneakers.

Then we got to the water after an hour or so. You can Jump off a rock or scramble another 30 feet. I scrambled, my honey jumped. The water was freezing cold. 55 degrees.

TIP: Wear gloves in water

We had air mattress' that we blew up and sort of floated on when we could. Parts of this small river has rapids and large boulders that you must scramble over. You can swim or stay on your mattress as long as possible which is what I did. This part is 3 hours long. At one point the guide will try to take you into a side canyon - had there been full sun and 20 degrees warmer, it would have been cool. But we were FREEZING and just wanted to get out of the water. The scenery is gorgeous and there is absolutely no one around. Nature included birds, spiders, and crayfish.

When we finally got out, we had to change out of wetsuits and put dry clothes on. There isnt really privacy so I left my suit on. No real place to sit so we ate standing. Lunch is not fancy. Water, sandwich, candy.

TIP: If you have room, bring a towel. and 2nd pr of dry shoes and socks.

Then was the big hike out. We had to scramble up a rock face which is VERY steep. The website mentions the hike out, it's very physically challenging. It was drizzling when we got out of the water and by the time we were back to the car it was raining.

An hour back to the hotel and I was happy for a hot shower. Til I discovered 4 leeches on my legs. My husband pulled them off as I screamed away. I called BMAC right away to find out if they were bad or not. No one called us so after 2 days I emailed. Another day passed before anyone responded and by then I had full blown rashes in all of the bite spots. Would have been nice if they got back to me sooner.

All in all it was an adventure. Do it when it is way warmer, bring the stuff I mentioned, try to go with a bigger group, and be prepared for the physical challenge.