“All round decent hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel

Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel
You added Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel to your Saves list
Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   144 Bathurst Road, Katoomba, New South Wales 2780, Australia (Formerly Central Blue Backpackers)   |
London
“All round decent hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Good facilities and reasonable location. Happy to recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Meet met at lot of friendly people there, and a very helpful staff!!! :-)

Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Worthing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

My friend and I decided in September 2008 to have a trip of a lifetime to Australia and decided that the Blue Mountains needed to be included in this following a high recommendation from a friend.
We decided to do the whole trip staying in hostels and after trawling through the internet for places to stay in Katoomba we settled on the Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel.
Compared to some of the other hostels I have stayed in I can say that I was actually pleasantly suprised by this one.
When you first walk in you notice how much space there is. Yes the building seems more "rustic" than other placed but that is its charm - it has a really nice historical feel to it, rather than a delapidated one, as though at one time it was an old manor. There is a lovely big common room, chillout area which at one time was a small theatrical stage (thought this was quite cool) and even a seperate reading room with comfy armchairs. There is a TV room and a seperate internet room too.
Outside there is a huge chessboard and even a fountain - it was very peaceful.
The bedroom housed 6 people but again it was a huge room and so everyone was spaced out well. Each room was named after a mountain or waterfall in the area.
I dont remember the bedding being dirty or anything like that - just kind of standard hostel bedding really!
The reception staff were friendly and helpful and there 24/7.
The hostel was fairly close to the bars and restaurants in Katoomba - its at the top of a hill so there was always a little walk back but you got used to it!
All in all, I would say that I liked this hostel. Perhaps my expectations were not as rigidly high as the other people who have posted reviews and I have stayed in more "luxury" hostels, but that said I have also stayed in FAR worse and it was by NO means a bad hostel at all.
I would definately recommend it to a friend :)
Happy Travelling!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

This is the most horrible place I've stayed in. It was so dirty my friends and I left after the first night. The toilets were covered in crap, looking like they hadn't been cleaned for months, and the bathrooms had hair everywhere. The bedsheets are old and smells dirty. There was a whitetail spider in one of the bedrooms and another bedroom had a dead, partly squashed spider on the wall next to the bed. I guess they had been opening the windows to get the smell of paint out of the rooms (the air was thick with paint smell and it was not nice to sleep in). The doors were partly painted, a work in progress I guess? This place looks nothing like the photos on the website. It is extremely badly kept and I will never go there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
HostelManager, Manager at Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
The Central Blue hostel has closed down. A new hostel has opened in its place, thankfully now under new management. It has all new facilities, linen and bedding, as well as proper cleaning staff
wolverhampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Let me start by saying that this was by no stretch of the imagination a "Luxury Hostel" or could it possibly have been built in 2005, both of these are claimed on the website. The walls and window frames looked years old. We had to ask for new sheets as ours were dirty and smelly, not unlike the room. The shower barely worked. And if you stayed out til after 9pm you had to enter all the way round the back, through the kitchens and the drunken students who were left to their own devices as there was no-one at reception, which resulted in alcohol and fast food spilled over the floor and the broken pool table. If you want somewhere half-decent, avoid this hostel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

This is just a heads up to anyone thinking of staying at the Central Hostel in Katoomba – DON’T!! Where do I start . . . well on check-in ( we made our booking online) we were told that we had not been booked in to our room, I then explained to the man on reception that I had my confirmation in paper, this gave him great amusement and his explanation was that the MANAGER had a problem with accents, he just couldn’t understand them (I am Irish) now this from a deemed International Hostel was just plain rude, I assured him that I had not spoken to anyone in person, he then solved the problem the manager had spelt my name wrong even though it was printed in black and white, he then nodded and told us the room is that way, great customer service skills. We got to our room only to find that it was not an en-suite double (which we had booked in the first place) but a family dorm; by this stage we thought its fine lets just leave it. The next morning my boyfriend woke to find his upper body covered in bites, we made a trip to the local chemist and spent a small fortune on medication, the pharmacist told us to inform the hostel as they were BED-BUG bites and that they should destroy the mattress and bed linen. On receiving this information the man (same as the night before) at reception said he would come down and look at the bed NO APOLOGY and NO EXPLINATION so he looked through the bed sheets and found bed-bugs which caused him great amusement – no reimbursement for the medication the only justification he gave it had happened to his girlfriend!! We then packed up and moved rooms, the second room was what we had booked originally a double en-suite, again we were assured that the room had been fully checked and was clean and bed-bug free, I couldn’t wait to get into the shower and while I was there the man from reception came back and told my boyfriend that he needed to check the bed again – and you guessed it he found bed-bugs, only for the fact that we had taken all our clothes to be cleaned and I was in a bath-towel I would have gladly walked out there and then!! So we moved to room number three – this was our last night and we didn’t even bother sleeping under the sheets. On check-out the next morning the relief on our faces was so apparent that we got chatting to other people who were also checking out we were all in unison that we could definitely not be recommending the Hostel to anyone or would never be back inside its doors again!! The other people had either been kept up all night, bitten as well or told they had to check-out a day early. I appreciate that when you book budget accommodation you don’t expect four star but we were treated horribly by this excuse of a Hostel – please don’t make the same mistake that we did and stay in this Hostel, the Blue Mountains scenery and people are worth the visit and we will go back but next time we will chose our accommodation more wisely.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

The Central Blue Mountain Backpackers has a really good location. It is is only a short walk from the train station along one of the main roads. The building from the outside looks nice enough and the kitchen/TV room facilities are of a good quality.

However, the room we requested (a double ensuite) left a lot to be desired. The ensuite can only be described as basic at best and on looking back it probably would have been wiser to have used the shared facilities. The walls were paper thin (which led to an interesting overheard night of what was going on in the next room between two consenting adults). The windows were poorly fitted and it led to a lot of noise, and cold, coming through from outside.

We discovered from our travel guide that it used to be nursing home and you can definitely detect this throughout the building.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ensuite facilities
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel? Share your experiences!