“Great position, good food, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dorsal Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Forster
Dorsal Boutique Hotel
You added Dorsal Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
1 West Street, Forster, New South Wales 2428, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Forster
Sydney, Australia
“Great position, good food, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

We spent one night in Forster at this beachside hotel. Arrived to marvel at a magnificent sunset from our balcony overlooking the beach and ocean pool. Dinner in the hotel restaurant with another couple rated excellent by all - mixed Turkish grill, with tender, well flavoured lamb done three ways was delicious, as was the sticky date pudding!
The room was spacious and simply but comfortably furnished, and the views great. Beds good but not excellent, and hotel very quiet (Monday night of a long weekend)
In the morning we stepped across to the beach for a swim - water still very warm and so clear it was delightful. Then back for a simple breakfast over newspapers on the sunny terrace in our costumes and towels, before heading off.
Quite pricey, but value for money for us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
avalon beach nsw Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

We booked last minute through Great Lakes and we were just happy to secure a room on a busy weekend when everything was otherwise booked. We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Our room was much bigger than expected, modern, airy with 2 balconies and very clean. The staff were very friendly. Our room was ready early and we were given a late checkout. The breakfast which was included was nice but nothing special. We ended up having dinner in the downstairs restaurant as it poured with rain as we went to leave. The food was great and reasonably priced. I wouldnt hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Never had my partner and I been so insulted by rude and patronising staff before. The woman who was behind the front desk for most of our stay was unwelcoming and offensive. We are very hassle-free guests; we make no demands, we ask for no favours.

However, from the moment we stepped foot in the front door of this hotel, we were treated like vermin. The Receptionist had a bad attitude.

Also, the driveway is so steep our car scraped (a regular family sedan) and it was obvious that many other people had too, on further inspection.

The included 'free' breakfast that we were offered was an embarassment. It was so paltry that you virtually had to pay their exhorbitant prices for something off the menu. They had two cereal options, white bread only and instant sachet tea and coffee. For around $400 per night you would expect a lot better.

Also, we only stayed there because they could guarantee undercover secure parking (I've had bad open air parking experiences in Forster before.) Well, well, well... what do you know. We return to the hotel after a bit of sightseeing and the undercover car park is choc full.

Save your money and and do not stay at this hotel. Especially during summer as the rooms overlook a car park near the beach where teenage thugs congregate late at night and you simply cannot sleep. When you ring Reception, nobody answers.

A truly awful and horrible experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

I booked a 'suite' online and had been hoping for something more than a room with a view. It was our 25th wedding anniversary at $200 per night was more than we'd ever spent on accommodation per night before. Great view yes, but the room was very minimal - but certainly ot zen like, one small bag rack, a TV on the wall and a narrow sidetable, 2 armchairs, a single and a king bed. The king bed was in-fact two singles held together with a king sheet.
dinner was a big disappointment - I ordered a seafood grill - thought it would actually be grilled - I don't like/eat batter. Prawns battered, calamari battered, muscles battered,
the piece of salmon (about 2"x3" and 1cm thick) was like eating dry cardboard - soo overcooked, barrmundi was just a couple of pieces that were dried out and super crispy on the bottom - how long had they sat on the grill I wonder!
husbands black chicken was good - I wish I'd sent mine back and had this instead.
breakfast OK except the sachets of powdered coffee - not even drip coffee
won't be in a hurry to eat there again
Great views of the beach but not anywhere the kind of weekend I had been hoping for.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
forster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Gail has to be the rudest person I have ever had the misfortune to deal with in business. Her attitude to me as a customer was appalling. My booking didn't actually happen because two times she quoted prices only to increase them on confirmation!!! and when I questioned the repeated error, she actually said to me "do you want the rooms or not, it really doesn't matter, we have the triathletes coming".
So if you want to avoid her attitude do yourself a favour, go elsewhere and leave her to the triathletes, maybe she is nice to them? HA HA, I doubt it! The other huge BONUS of going elsewhere is I actually saved over $800.00 and accommodated 20 instead of 15 people in my group booking!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

The Dorsal is located right opposite Forster's Main Beach and is ideally located to stroll to Foster's small shopping district, stroll along the beach or walk down to Marina or over the bridge to Tuncurry. lots of great little cafes & restuarnts with 2 to 10 minute walk. The hotel has a very good restuarant and throught the week has theme nights. The pricing is top end for Forster but staff and service are excellent. The Continental Breakfast on offer is a little basic, just small packets of cereal (limited choice), juice and self serve tea or coffee with toast. You can order hot food from the menu and this is plentiful and reasonably priced. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom studio style with a large balcony and views all the way along the coast north, bar fridge prices are very reasonable even if the choice is limited. Note no snacks in the mini bar but there are a number of shops nearby, grab some cheese, cold meats, olives etc, nice wine, sit on the balcony and watch the action on the beach and endless vista of the Pacific Ocean.

I would definetly stay here again and is a perfect spot for a weekend getaway or even a longer holiday stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Renmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

It was only after complaining about this 'Hotel' to friends that I found out about this website. The other reviewers are spot on.
The views are incredible (although you needed to stand on an open-air balcony and stretch your neck to see them from our room) but the service, staff and value is a downright farce.
We were promised an amazing beach view - but we got a partial view of trees and a grubby-looking ocean bath with old men in speedos.
We were promised an amazing breakfast - we got a tawdry school camp-style breakfast.
We were promised a romantic weekend - we got hoons in noisy cars on the street below all night.
We expected trendy, funky, professional service - we got staff who were rude, unpleasant and cranky. It was like they didn't want us (or other guests) to be there.
The website on which I booked this hotel promises 'a new hotel offering the best of facilities' - I queried this and the staff told me it is five years old. It shows as the slabs in the walls in our room were coming apart. The paranoid tourist in me had visions of a building collapse. The walls desperately need painting also.
The facilities were much more like a motel and furnished a bit like a gaol cell. They don't even have a swimming pool. As a cheapish-motel this would have been a very pleasing night's stay. But at $280 per night we expected much, much better. They falsely advertise and are grossly over priced. Steer clear!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dorsal Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!