“Unclean & Noisy” 1 of 5 stars

186 Arden St, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Unclean & Noisy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I did not choose this hostel myself-I stayed as part of a group tour organised by Ozintro, a company that gets you started on a working holiday in Oz.

We stayed there for a week, all of us solo travellers and we were all desperate to get out by the end of the week!

The main problem was that it simply wasn't clean- I did see the cleaners coming in on a daily basis but I think they must have done the minimum. The bathrooms were not clean and there aren't enough for the number of dorms they have.

Dorms themselves are not actually cleaned, the only thing is a linen change which is done at the end of your stay when you take your used linen to reception.

No air con- I know it's a hostel but there are many others in central Sydney for the same price that have this!!

No lockers in rooms- again other hostels of similar price have this.

I didn't realise this until I got there, but Coogee is a very noisy, party suburb of Sydney, so it was noisy at night with drunk people shouting etc, and as there was no air con we had to leave the windows open ALL the time.

Would not recommend as there are so, so many other, much nicer hostels in Sydney for the same price. If I had know this was the kind of place I would be staying I wouldn't have booked with Ozintro either!

Room Tip: There are no lifts and no ground floor rooms so be prepared to lug your bags up a few flights of sta...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This place was awful! not clean and the 6 bed dorm was the entrance to 2 other dorms so in reality a 14 bed dorm with one bathroom! Blankets and beds were taken in the middle of the stay! could not wait to leave this terrible place...worst australian hostel I've ever stayed at!!

• Stayed March 2012
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Bed bugs, cockroaches and no proper staff it appears, just backpackers doing the cleaning, odd jobs and reeception in return of a free bed! As a result the dorms are filthy and the kitchen is pretty gross too! There are lots of other places in Sydney that cost around the same, try somewhere else!!

• Stayed November 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I originally planned to stay here for 2 weeks but ended up getting trapped in coffee and stayed here for around 2 months. The price of this place is way to high for what you get and the management are useless, one manager stole my iPod and refused to give it back for a week because he didn't like the music we were listenening too. I ended up leaving because I was kicked out and banned from the hostel down to the pure fact the management didn't like my group of friends. BUT as much as I hated te management and the way this place is run I would still recommend it, hands down the best days of my life where whilst I stayed here

• Stayed December 2010
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We could have stayed in the crowne plaza for the same price- i was told the error in charging would be refunded but the member of staff able to do refunds wasn't there. Now they ignore emails and surprisingly I have seen none of the money. Locked out on arrival due to office times. Shower had no lock. Disappointed really.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dirty.....yes, not the best service....true enough.....best times of my life......definitely! Come on people it's a HOSTEL not a HOTEL. I will always look back at my time with real affection and a fondness for the memories that are up there with my wedding and child being born! Surf side rocks!

• Stayed December 2010
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Hostel at 9.45pm. Upon arrival we soon realised that we had been locked out of the Hostel and were left waiting outside for 20 minutes. Luckily another guest arrived who let us into the building. Furthermore we were left to wait another 20 minutes as we were informed that the receptionist was "getting pissed" at the bar across the road. Finally we were given our room keys but told that we would have to check in in the morning as the receptionist was eager to return to his bar. We walked into our room to find filthy, slept-in bedding on both beds (They actually had flakes of skin in!!!!). In addition the room was boiling hot and combined with the lack of cleanliness in the room - it made it completely unbearable. There was the smallest windows and no AC or fans on a 30+ degree day!!!!
We attempted to have a shower but the bathrooms were even worse than the filthy room. Inevitably we left the hostel without even staying a night but were unable to check out properly as the member of staff had headed straight back to the bar.
We lost all our money and have recieved the worst customer service from the manager since!!!!!! RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!!!!

Photographs to follow...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
Coogee Bay Hotel
#5 of 7 in Coogee
3.5 of 5 stars 155 reviews
Meriton Serviced Apartments Zetland, Sydney

Been to Surfside Backpackers? Share your experiences!