“Good hostel but...” 3 of 5 stars

Surfside Backpackers
186 Arden St, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
“Good hostel but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

I originally planned to stay here for 2 weeks but ended up getting trapped in coffee and stayed here for around 2 months. The price of this place is way to high for what you get and the management are useless, one manager stole my iPod and refused to give it back for a week because he didn't like the music we were listenening too. I ended up leaving because I was kicked out and banned from the hostel down to the pure fact the management didn't like my group of friends. BUT as much as I hated te management and the way this place is run I would still recommend it, hands down the best days of my life where whilst I stayed here

• Stayed December 2010

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We could have stayed in the crowne plaza for the same price- i was told the error in charging would be refunded but the member of staff able to do refunds wasn't there. Now they ignore emails and surprisingly I have seen none of the money. Locked out on arrival due to office times. Shower had no lock. Disappointed really.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dirty.....yes, not the best service....true enough.....best times of my life......definitely! Come on people it's a HOSTEL not a HOTEL. I will always look back at my time with real affection and a fondness for the memories that are up there with my wedding and child being born! Surf side rocks!

• Stayed December 2010
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Hostel at 9.45pm. Upon arrival we soon realised that we had been locked out of the Hostel and were left waiting outside for 20 minutes. Luckily another guest arrived who let us into the building. Furthermore we were left to wait another 20 minutes as we were informed that the receptionist was "getting pissed" at the bar across the road. Finally we were given our room keys but told that we would have to check in in the morning as the receptionist was eager to return to his bar. We walked into our room to find filthy, slept-in bedding on both beds (They actually had flakes of skin in!!!!). In addition the room was boiling hot and combined with the lack of cleanliness in the room - it made it completely unbearable. There was the smallest windows and no AC or fans on a 30+ degree day!!!!
We attempted to have a shower but the bathrooms were even worse than the filthy room. Inevitably we left the hostel without even staying a night but were unable to check out properly as the member of staff had headed straight back to the bar.
We lost all our money and have recieved the worst customer service from the manager since!!!!!! RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!!!!

Photographs to follow...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Please do not stay here. It may have a good location but that is where the benefits end. Just to give you a picture of the place. You arrive at the entrance door and there is always Mcdonalds rubbish lying there with cockroaches rummaging through it. There are then 59 steps up to the reception area as there is no lift. The receptionist will then ask you for a $30 key deposit each and then inform you that this is not fully refundable as some of this goes towards paying the cleaning staff. We opened the door to our private double room and found sand everywhere, the rooms are not clean. There was huge luminated exit sign in our room, this indicates that the room was recently converted from a corridor space and they have not bothered to remove this sign. The exit sign lighted up the room at night and it was very hard to sleep. The main dorms look like prison cells, people have to resort to getting extremely drunk in order to sleep in the rooms. The rooms do not look remotely like the photos on the website. I hope this gives you a truer reflection of the place. It was so bad we did not bother to stay for the last night of our trip and moved elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

This isn't a hostel to stay at if you want peace and quiet. People are running around all day and night being social. Most of the rooms are pretty big although the one I stayed in (mixed 6) was quite small, but still fine. The common area is great for meeting people - it's very open and there is a big dinner table to gather around and play cards etc. The view is great - right across from coogee beach! The bathrooms are fine too - I never once had to wait for a shower, and I woke at pretty normal times (9a, although maybe that is early for backpackers!). I would come back and stay here. I read all of the bad reviews and I think people need to understand that it's a hostel - it's not supposed to be luxurious and quiet. It's where people who want cheap accommodation go to and also where people meet, so yes, it's going to be loud.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at surfside only because I made a lot of really great friends but the staff are rude and check your receipts cos you'll find yourself being charged differently one wee to the next! The owner was taking peoples key deposits off them right, left and center for menial things (took $30 deposit off my mate for throwing playing cards about) and don#t bother asking for change for the washer/dryer, cos they'll never have any, anytime! Too many people taking drugs also, which the management turned a blind eye to, even the receptionist was on it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Surfside Backpackers? Share your experiences!