“Limited view - comfortable room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coogee Bay Hotel

You added Coogee Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Coogee Bay Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   253 Coogee Bay Road/9 Vicar St, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Sydney, Australia
“Limited view - comfortable room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very convenient location, close to Prince of Wales Hospital where a new grandchild was being born, hence our stay. Spacious, comfortable twin-bedded room, good sized bathroom with very good shower. No noise problem, considering it is in the grounds of a popular hotel. Check-in was quick and efficient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stay at the boutique hotel about 3-4 times a year. We are from the western suburbs of Sydney so it's a close weekend getaway destination.
We always stay in the ocean view rooms and get the romance package which includes a nice bottle of sparkling and chocolate dipped strawberries on arrival.
The rooms are clean, modern and spacious. The ocean views are ok, the only downside is the view of the pub loading dock which can get noisy with the sound of trucks and such during the day. At night, you can't hear any noise from the busy pub. The staff are quite friendly and usually allow for a late check out if you ask. The rooms can be a little pricey but they do have good deals on wotif.com.
Overall I think it's a great place to stay, I hope you enjoy it too :)

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Beachfront, thats where the positives end. Its noisy, weathered, rude bar staff, rooms dated, far too expensive for what it is. I stayed for a romantic weekend and was so unhappy when we opened the door for the first time. Upgrade needed. And stop hoodrats from drinking there.

• Stayed February 2013
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I feel bad giving this place a poor rating, but I can only review the room that I was given. If I was given the room across the hall, the rating may have been 5 stars.

I read the reviews and checked out the website. Pub noise was not an issue for me. I love hotels with character and I love a good view. So I booked an ocean view room in the heritage hotel.

First impressions were very good - just what I expected. Old, a bit run down, but full of character and an awesome view of Coogee bay from the large terrace. I was disappointed to find that the "wifi" included in the room rate was deemed "wifi is available at a cost" by the receptionist. Other than that, I was very happy enjoying the atmosphere, the view and the pub food & drinks.

The noise problem started after I closed the doors leading out to the balcony and noticed that the volume of the outside noise stayed the same. This wasn't pub noise, but street noise. My room (219) was on the corner of Arden St and Coogee Bay Rd and the walls & windows provide no sound-proofing whatsoever. I felt like I was sleeping on the roadside! There are so many buses and trucks driving past and around this intersection all through the night. It was one of the worst night's sleeps I've ever had.

If only they had out me into room 220, this review may have been glowing! And I was the only one there as far as I could tell. More thoughtful staff may have given me a much better experience.

Overall it's a great location, great atmosphere and although the heritage hotel is a bit run down, it's pretty cool. A fan in the toilet/bathroom would have been nice. Along with some sound-proofing.

Room Tip: To avoid overwhelming street noise, do not take a room along Coogee Bay Road, which on the second fl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mount Barker, Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was more than we really wanted to pay, but there was a music festival being held nearby that weekend, and most other accommodation was booked out. The rooms are very nice, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was quite small though, and very cramped. It's almost impossible to have a shower without getting most things in the bathroom wet. Continental breakfast was included, but it was quite unpleasant. Nothing was very fresh, and the bowls were quite dirty. It took me about 5 different bowls before I found a clean one. We only ate breakfast once, then went elsewhere for the other days. The location is great, with the beach just over the road and the cafe strip right at your doorstep. Overall, the hotel was decent, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I came up to sydney to attend a friends wedding. We chose to stay at the Coogee Bay Boutique Hotel on the recommendation of a family friend. Wow!! the rooms were really nice , the beds were great, loved the spacious bathrooms. The included breakfast was average , could have been better. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. Cant wait to come back to sydney to stay at this great hotel

Room Tip: We got a better rate by calling hotel direct
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at coogee bay with my girlfriend for 4nights in total. The we didn't know where to stay and were tmjdwtgd craic would be good at this place. We could only get the boutique room for the first two nights and a crazy mid week price for about 400dollars. It was nice and clean but a crazy price. The second two nights we stayed in the rooms over the bar for about 150 a night. The rooms were terrible and bathroom was looking old and dirty. Clean however. The receptionist wit glasses and brown hair is the most ignorant and arrogant lady. Not one bit helpful. Any questions were like i was ruining her day. The security staff are bullies, arrogant, and not helpful. Location is great though. I will never go back. This place is always busy because of the great location. Very expensive.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
Royal Hotel at Randwick
Royal Hotel at Randwick
#3 of 15 in Randwick
4.0 of 5 stars 40 reviews

Been to Coogee Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!