“A Winner!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments

You added Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments to your Saves list
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 - 167 Dolphin Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Brighton, Melbourne
“A Winner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed 4 nights over late January 2013 and was very impressed! It's very hard in Sydney to find a room that caters to a family with two young children, but Coogee Sands delivers. For under $200 a night we had a king size bed and our boys slept together in an ample sized pull out bed. The room was great and the feature for us was the large window which could be opened. The location is brilliant - 25 metres from the beach (check out the insane beach break body bash!!) and 150 metres from Coogee's main restaurant strip. A large park is situated straight out front of the hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, the place was very clean and well run.

Only two minor complaints - when the car park was full there was no sign indicating this and we had to back our 4WD out of this very tight area which was difficult to say the least, and the TVs in the room only allow a volume of 30, which while I can understand the rationale is quite conservative - if someone is having a shower or the window is opened you couldn't hear a thing, which was annoying especially when watching the Aussie Open. But overall this hotel is fantastic and if the prices remain reasonable we will most definitely be returning.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear turns71,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review, It is wonderful to hear positive feedback and i am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you can understand we must me mindful of the noise that can carry from room to room, this is the reasoning behind our volume control settings on the television. Next time you stay with us, please feel free to contact reception and request to have your volume adjusted.

My sincere apoligies for the incovenience caused when you were made to reverse from the car park. Although our reception team are always vigilant and do their best to moniter the parking, this is not always possible. I Sincerely hope this does not deter you from returning to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the future.

Tracy Whitelaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here over the Australia Day long weekend. Loved the size of the room, the giant bed, ample pillows, good air con, good tv. The bathroom was reasonable size but no bath. Nice shampoo, conditioner, shower cap and fluffy towels. Pristine clean kitchenette area, with well stocked mini bar and snacks, (though we didn't indulge). Strange outdoor seating area totally enclosed by high walls, but the hotel is totally surrounded by other buildings so don't expect a view. There was some noise from residents above us, but the calmed down by 11:30. our room was next door to the stairwell leading upstairs, but no noise from there. I believe there is a viewing area on the rooftop, but people most likely took the lift. Wi fi was free. The free under cover parking was a bonus, but could be tight in spots for larger vehicles. Get there early for your pick of the parking spots. Reception took copy of photo I.D. and $50 credit charge, but this was returned on leaving. They were very helpful about buses to the city and generally friendly. This was very close to everything - the beach, the shops, pubs and restaurants. We ate out locally both mornings and one night and there is a great selection of places within walking distance. The bus was a scenic 30 minute ride to the city, and we managed to get a ferry to Manley beach easily and indulge in the great atmosphere of Australia Day, finishing at the Belgian Bar near The Rocks for great mussel dishes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bluesteel,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to post such a lovely review of our hotel.

It is wonderful to hear such lovely comments about our staff and facilities, i will certainly pass your thoughts on to my team as i'm sure they will be pleased to know they made a positive impact on your stay!

If we are lucky enough to welcome you back to the Coogee Sands i would suggest you enquire about our ocean view studios, this way you can ensure a veiw of the beach rather than having the private courtyard.

Edgware, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed in a courtyard room - no view but a with a private outside courtyard. Room was clean and quiet, and location perfect for the beach, shops, buses into town. Staff were charming and could not be more helpful. Continental breakfast at the nearby cafe (bought as part of the horel package) was excellent value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Edgware_13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, your thoughts and feedback are very important to us.

It is great to hear such positive things about our staff and facilities, I have passed your thoughts on to our team and congratulated them on making such a positive impact on your stay.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our central location as the Coogee sands is just minutes walk from the beach, shops and cafes!

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments.

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Hi I stayed at coogee sands for 10 days , had 3 different rooms and not 1 had a view. Rooms very basic and not all that clean. No resteraunt or room service.
Very expensive for the basic rooms. 1 minute walk to coogee beach and close to shops and resteraunts.

• Stayed September 2012
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Madigliana,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to post a review of our hotel, I greatly appreciate your honest feedback as it allows us to continually improve and better meet your needs in the future.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, the Coogee Sands is located just minutes from the beach, shops and various cafes and restaurants.

In regards to your comment about the view from your room, I would suggest that when making a booking with us in the future you enquire about our Ocean View Studios. This way you can guarantee a view of stunning Coogee Beach if you wish.

We do not have a hotel restaurant or room service as we have an affiliation with various local cafes and restaurants allowing our guests to eat at the restaurant of their choice at a time that is most suitable for them. It is also convenient for our guests as they can charge the bill to their hotel room and take care of everything when they check out.

I am very surprised to hear that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the hotel as the housekeeping staff are continually praised for their thorough work and efficiency. I will however pass your thoughts on to housekeeping management for discussion with the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your honest feedback, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the future.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I arrived from North America and stayed at Coogee Sands for about a week in December. The location is good, as it is located right next to the beach and nearby shops. My room contained a view of a wall but I suspect that some of the rooms higher up may have views of the beach.

The main issue for me was that there was no wireless internet in my room, despite that their website says that their rooms have a "high-speed broadband internet connection." You have to pay for that and I paid for it (though not charged in the end because it didn't work). I needed the Internet to communicate for business purposes and with my family.

Each day I complained that there was no Internet connection and each day I got the same response that someone would come that day to look into it. I never did get a suitable connection. I heard others complaining that there was no Internet connection, but each day the staff appeared surprise (feigned or not) that there was no Internet connection.

I ended up paying approximately $200 to my telecommunications provider to access the Internet instead of the approximately $20 that it was supposed to cost at Coogee Sands.

Room Tip: I hear that rooms higher up may have a view of the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear ideasurfer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel, honest feedback such as yours is greatly appreciated.

I am so pleased to hear that you were pleased with the location of the hotel; I myself certainly agree that Coogee is a beautiful place to stay!

The room that you booked was a non view room, when booking your next stay with us please enquire about our ocean view studios, this way you can ensure a view of the beach if you wish.

My sincere apologies for any issues that you may have encountered with the wireless internet during your stay, as we had just recently made the switch from broadband to wireless there were still a few kinks that needed to be ironed out. I am pleased to advise that these issues have since been resolved and our wireless internet is now up and running smoothly!

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

No in room breakfast a deposit is charged on arrival the bed was 2 beds stuck together to make a king size with plastic on the mattress, no toaster, the room was clean and the staff very efficient and helpful, for the price I expected it to be much better.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Jacquie004,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, I greatly appreciate your honest feedback.

I am so pleased to hear that you were impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of both the front office and housekeeping staff, I will be sure to pass these comments on to my team and congratulate them for making a positive impact on your stay.

In regards to your comment about the breakfast I would like to point out that although the hotel no longer offers an in room breakfast service we now have an affiliation with various local café’s and restaurants ensuring that our guests are spoilt for choice when it comes to their morning meal. Our guests can now attend the café or their choosing at a time that best suits them and charge the meal back to their room.

The deposit that you referred to as being charged on check in is actually not a charge at all but a pre-authorisation. We freeze $50.00 in your account to cover the use of any incidentals such as the mini bar or telephone, if nothing is used these funds unfreeze automatically after 3-5 working days meaning nothing is charged and nothing is refunded.

Lastly in regards to your comment about the king single beds being joined to make a king bed, this is a very common practice and also occurs in five star hotels. This allows the room to be more versatile and also allows us to better meet the bedding configuration needs of our guests. I sincerely hope this does not deter you from returning to our hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Great place, right by the beach, but off the main street, so surprisingly quiet.
The room was nice (if a little dated), and the services was excellent.
Hotel supplied vouchers for breakfast at Yeeros Cafe, which was also great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear MDEC_NZ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, it is feedback such as yours that allows us to continually improve the hotel and better meet the needs of our guests.

I am so glad to hear that you were impressed by the staff and facilities here at the Coogee Sands, I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to my staff members as I am sure they will greatly appreciate it!

In regards to your comment about the rooms being a little dated, I am pleased to advise that we have recently begun our 2013 refurbishment!

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the refreshed and refurbished Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the future.

Tracy Whitelaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
Coogee Bay Hotel
#5 of 7 in Coogee
3.5 of 5 stars 156 reviews
Adina Apartment Hotel Bondi Beach

Been to Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!