“Good location needing a bit of an uplift” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   183 Coogee Bay Rd, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia (Formerly Medina Executive Coogee)   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location needing a bit of an uplift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in a 1 bed room. Room is a modern style however is a bit tired and needs to be renovated.

Sleep was fine, bathroom ok. Shower a bit small and there was always water in the grout of the bathroom tiles.

Have stayed before (many years ago) and must say I had better expectations before I arrived.

Service was good and the location for beach goers is fantastic. Only other thing is that I don't think I should have shared the room with the two cockroaches that were scurrying around.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
PiaNilsson, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear ramslee,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive Coogee.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised we are pleased to advise that we are in the process of updating some of the kitchens as well as replace some of the beds as they were a bit tired from normal wear and tear in order to improve our overall guest experience. We further have an external pest control company attend to the site on a regular basis, which is especially important with all the bushes and trees in the courtyard and around the hotel.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We took 2 x 1 bedrooms on a recent 1 week business trip to Sydney.
I’ve stayed in other Medina’s so was expecting decent (not luxury) & comfortable business accommodation for myself & family.
Other than roach holes I’ve stayed in backpacking (at least then I knew what I was getting) this is the worst accommodation I’ve been in given the high price & that it’s hilariously described as “executive”.
- rooms are grubby and showing wear. Clammy carpets I shuddered to walk on barefoot i.e. after a morning in the apartment my kids bare feet were black with grime from the carpets.
- terrible beds, seriously, my matress was unbelievably dented and bumpy. I cannot beleive I stayed in the same accomodation as other reveiwers? Perhaps the 1 x bedrooms are reserved for the hooker trade on the wekeends?
- pitiful standard of cleaning and room service such as no extra toilet paper, no teaspoons, courtyard weed infested with complementary overflowing ashtray, windows jammed shut with grime, sticky & stained kitchen floors that needed room service to mop after the roomed was 'cleaned".
- worst was the disgusting smell, despite keeping all windows & balcony door open the smell of pee & accumulated grime wouldn’t abate. Instead of a place where we could chill in between meetings we spent all our spare time avoiding the place.
And it’s not just me; on 2 separate occasions at reception I heard other guests making exactly the same "stink" complaint. Management know all about it and were not surprised which really irritates me cause they're taking us for mugs instead of just fixing it!

This is seriously crap accommodation which is a pity given the lovely staff & great location and decent room size. Unless they renovate and get some basic cleaning standards in place it’s a toxic fallout zone to be avoided.

And I wondered why it was so easy to get 2 x rooms at such short notice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
PiaNilsson, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Mrs Jacobs,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive Coogee. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

After reading your review I am disappointed that you feel that your feedback whilst at the Hotel wasn’t taken seriously or actioned. Once you reported these issues to us we promptly addressed and actioned the items you had raised. At the same time I also personally acknowledged your feedback and agreed that it wasn’t up to our usual standard. We then also reduced the room rate for both rooms resulting in a discount of over $1000 for the weeks stay.

When I spoke to you on check out and also the day after departure, I felt that we had come to a resolution for our previous shortfalls and that you were happy with this outcome. In reading the above it would appear that this is not the case and would dearly love to discuss this with you further, or have you speak with our Area Manager. My contact details are pnilsson@medina.com.au. I look forward to discussing your recent stay further.

With kind regards
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed inthe Medina Executive Coogee this February for a week and a half whilst visiting friends who live up in Randwick. The room was fantastic in that you have a large sitting room with dining table, kitchen, bathroom and seperate bedroom. It meant that people could come and visit us in the room. It wasn't plush, but had everything we needed and was comfortable. We didn't find it noisy at all, if anything we noticed that it was very quiet.

The location is fantastic and allows easy access to everything in Coogee and is close to the beach. Great restaurants locally and lots of choices for a good location to have a pint.

The only downside was the cost of internet access. We paid $66 for a week of internet access, but only afterwards did we find out that only the first device that logged onto the network got the access. So if you have two mobile phones and a laptop then only the first of these will get access. To allow another device access then you needed to pay another $66, which is a bit of a swiz!

Other than that, I would recommend this hotel especially if you are using it for a base to get out and about and do things locally. It's only 30 mins on the bus to Sydney and the bus stop is not far from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
PiaNilsson, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
Dear Ciaramangan,

The team at Medina Executive Coogee are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. We work with an external company for the internet and movie services and we will pass your feedback to them in regards to the pricing. Please also be advised that we have the option of providing you with wireless connection for 15min, 1 hour or 1 day if you don't want to connect the second computer for another week.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Medina Hotels in the near future.

Kind r egards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed at the Medina in Coogee recently and while the hotel provided basic needs, I would look elsewhere next time. The furnishings were tired and worn and dirty - especially the carpet. The place needed a good clean. We booked a 2 bedroom with four adults but only 2 chairs on the balcony. It seemed that if they could get away with 'good enough' they would. There was nothing delightful about this place - nothing that gave pleasure. Location was good but noisy. Good size fridge and dining table. We cooked one night but the cheap kitchen equipment made it hard work. It was great being able to locate a hotel we could stay at with friends but for the cost - we would go elsewhere next time we stay in Coogee.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
PiaNilsson, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Dear travMJSM,

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and in relation to the points you have raised we would like to address the concerns with our team. Summer is our peak season here at our great beachside location and we always try to meet and exceed guests’ expectations. I am sorry that this did not happen on this occasion during your stay. I would dearly love to hear from you directly further about your stay so that we can improve on our overall guest experience. You can reach me directly at the hotel or through mecg@medina.com.au.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and I hope that we can discuss this in more detail soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Stayed with my spouse 5 days in December before Christmas. Good location, beach is lovely, 300m distance. Good size 1bdrm apartment with facilities within, 2lc'd, full kitchen. Easier to stay in Coogee for us than on busy Bondi. Great for meals around, beautiful choice of healthy brekkies nearby, dinners too. Internet connection was very disappointing as instead of free wi-fi, which you would expect for the money, you get paid service 11$/hr or 25$per day. Pool was bit chilly for us and gym basic but sauna in lovely state! Generally recommended but bit pricier than elsewhere similar kind I guess.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
PiaNilsson, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear dizbQ,

The team at Medina Executive Coogee are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. We would also like to advise you that we updated our gym equipment just before Christmas last year and we now have a new treadmill, cross trainer and exercise bike. We do hope that all guests will enjoy these new and updated facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Medina Hotels in the near future.

lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I usually love staying at Medina properties but was very dsappointed at the high cost of this low level apartment for 5 nights. Asked for quiet location on top floor with opening window-given dark damp very noisy apartment on ground with window that could not be opened for 3 days. Shower fixed over bath difficult to use. Unsympathetic reception staff who basically said that the reaussurances given for quiet accommodation should never have been made in the first place. At 205 dollars a night Corporate rate it was a rip off. So unlike the other accommodation I have used in Sydney and the rest of my stay in Australia.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Anne2121957,

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and in relation to the points you have raised we would like to address the concerns with our team. Summer is our peak season here at our great beachside location and we always try and meet and exceed guests’ requests. I am sorry that this did not happen on this occasion during your stay. I would dearly love to hear from you directly further about your stay so that we can improve on our overall guest experience. You can reach me directly at the hotel or through mecg@medina.com.au.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Overall the room we stayed at was ok. Staff were friendly but slow to serve and a bit clueless. The room we stayed in was over priced not good value for money at all. Location was good but we will never stay here again. The gym was not very big but very cosy. I enjoyed working out in the gym. The pool was heated and good but not very big. The pool is in the basement so it feel weird to be swimming in the basement and not outside. It seemed they only had the pool, gym and sauna in the basement just to get the extra stars. Our stay here was very pleasant but I do not think very good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PiaNilsson, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Dear Katie8565,

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and in relation to the points you have raised we would like to address the concerns with our team and would love to hear from you directly what they were so that we can improve on our overall guest experience. You can reach me directly at the hotel or through mecg@medina.com.au.

We are glad that you enjoyed our gym and pool facilities, and we can understand that it may feel somewhat unusual to swim inside, especially since we are 300m from the beach. But with the proximity to the beach, the owners thought it best to place the pool indoors as our guests then can use it all year, regardless of weather. We are also in the process of upgrading our gym equipment, and in the new year we will have a new treadmill, cross trainer and exercise bike, as we are aware that these facilities are something that our guests appreciate.

Hotel Manager

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee? Share your experiences!