“What an amazing place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Crawley, United Kingdom
“What an amazing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed here twice recently, 3 nights last December and 4 nights in January 2011. We were given an upgrade to a seafront room on the 4th floor for our second stay as Priority Club members. Wow, what a room! Not one but two balconies, the huge one overlooking the beach and the smaller one overlooking the pool area. The weather was perfect so we made good use of the balconies in between exploring the area. The staff were friendly and very helpful, they went out of their way to satisfy our every wish. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and the sun-filled conservatory was great with its wonderful sea views. The area is full of restaurants so we had our evening meals at a different place each evening. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and would love to go back again sometime.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
sydney, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I stayed here for a night in June 2010 in a Village View Room, with a few family members. We drove a car to the hotel and it was a bit disappointing that there wasn’t anyone on hand to assist with the luggage, which in our case was quite substantial in quantity. The check-in process itself was friendly but there really should have been some assistance provided for the luggage, more so considering that the carpark itself also incurs a daily charge.

The lobby was very nice and spacious and fitted out well, with stone or marble being dominant. The room had two double beds and faced the side street, not Coogee Beach. It did not have a balcony but just the window. The room was about average in terms of its quality but it looked comfortable which was the main thing. Our room was clean. The bathroom was slightly small but otherwise quite nicely presented and there were the standard Crowne Plaza toiletries, which are of good quality. The room was quite well noise-insulated from the street.

The TV was a modern plasma and gave a good viewing quality. The internet in the room was not free-of-charge. The workdesk and seating were of a standard quality, as was the couch and overall the hotel looked comfortable but was not flash and did not have any wow factor attached.

The hotel is located close to Coogee Beach on a street which itself is about a few minutes walk from the beach. Some of the rooms in the hotel would have ocean views.

Our contact with the staff was mostly limited to the room service and Bluesalt Restaurant staff. The room service staff were courteous and friendly. The food itself was of a good standard but the menu selection was quite limited. The food prices, as expected, were higher than that of equivalent-quality fare in the local area. One of my party complained about the dessert because it seemed to be straight from a microwave. I thought the staff member handled the complaint well but there was truth to the complaint. I’m not sure exactly how hotels ensure that their entire menu is kept fresh and in top condition, especially if only occasional orders are placed for certain items but given the price of the items here, that’s what should rightfully be expected although at the same time, I’d be worried about food wastage if certain pre-prepared items on the menu are just discarded if orders aren’t taken (eg. cakes, fruit pies, etc).

The breakfast at the Bluesalt restaurant contained a reasonable selection and I thought the food quality was also quite good and fresh. They had freshly squeezed juice. The price was quite standard for hotels in the category and while it would be more than you could get for breakfast outside, it was still what could be expected of an equivalent hotel in Sydney. The views out to the ocean from the restaurant were quite nice as well.

After breakfast, we went for a walk on the beach and followed the jogging trail to the Bronte beach area. The hotel was located conveniently close to the beach. The trail itself did have some steps which could be quite difficult to negotiate.

Check-out was quite difficult because the children in our party wanted to play up and made a lot of noise. The concierge or staff member in that area didn’t seem too impressed but I think he could have handled the situation with a little more friendliness.

We had a brief experience with this hotel so I can only give an initial opinion. There were some issues but overall, it was still a good short stay.

Note: A video of the hotel room can be found on my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/AllHotelrooms

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I arrived Monday, December 20th, 2010 after a 20 hour flight from Toronto that threw me two days into the future. The check-in experience early in the afternoon was good. I had pre-paid for my 12 nights and left a credit card for incidentals. I immediately realized by power converter was useless but the desk provided me with a great little unit that was free unless I didn't return it.

The hotel is in a perfect location in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, on Arden Street across from the southern tip of the beach. I booked a King but it wasn't ready. The double queen was fine. 36 inch TV, in-room safe. Two bathrobes with slippers. Good bathroom. Great balcony with a fantastic view of Coogee Beach. The local transit stops right at the hotel and there's a great little convenience store just down Carr St. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff did a great job every day.

Tried room service a few times. Expensive and a rather limited menu that seems determined to live in The New Age. Took a few days to learn that "rocket" (ie: pizza topped "with rocket") was arugula. 24 hour room service menu limits you entirely to a couple of pizza choices or generic Thai.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was insanely overpriced: $20 for a continental buffet and $32 if you wanted to add steam table scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. The staff working the buffet were very friendly but it's just a ripoff. There's a card in your room to have it delivered in the morning in case you wanted to be robbed in bed. There isn't a lot of choice in the area, however, and the Coogee cafe menus weren't much better.

Fortunately the room has a fridge for the mini-bar (with the expected insane prices inside on beers, chips, chocos, etc.). You can smuggle some local variety store items in there and the staff are great about it. There is free in-room coffee and tea and at least there's real milk in the fridge.

The Oceans Bar is where you can go to for sidewalk cafe beer, drinks and some pretty good bar food. Again, outrageous prices but I can honestly say I didn't have a bad meal from the Oceans. Good, friendly staff and a some fun nights sitting around with other foreigners.

My biggest rant, and it's my fault because I brough my laptop and others have complained about this throughout Sydney: the daily internet charge of $30 is beyond belief. There are Crowne Plazas/Holiday Inns/Holiday Inn Express locations across the world that include wireless with the daily fee. My daily fee in Coogee (understanding it's super high season) was $360 a night and $650 on Dec. 30th and 31st. Adding another huge internet fee is just gouging. And the wireless is feeble...like dial-up. You WILL be disconnected if you move your laptop from the business area of the room. And if you use the ethernet connection you will be told that after 200MB of download, you can either be dialed down to a much slower speed or pay another .10 cents per MB.

That's just criminal. And it tells me that Coogee has an almost zero number of business people visiting. My bill, including room service and a daily internet rooting, after 12 nights was almost $1,000. That's on top of the $4,600 I pre-paid for the nightly rate.

Other than that: I will return to Australia and venture beyond Sydney and Coogee. You're much better off in the Coogee area than the CBD if you just there to relax. Transit is good, very nearby and not that expensive. But beware the Crowne Plaza if you make the mistake I did and plunk yourself down in a major world city location for 12 nights and assume it would be like an all-inclusive: Keep moving every few days! The Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach staff are amazing and should be commended. The owners, they should be running every deficit-stung government in the Western world!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We spent the 2 nights before and New Year's Eve at this hotel. It's in a great location if you want to see a different part of Sydney than the typical Opera house, Circular Quay, Rocks part of Sydney. The hotel is located across the road from Coogee and has it's own pool. Since we're Canadian, we are always shocked the first time we go into an Australian pool as they are rarely heated and are cooler than the typical Canadian hotel pool. Since it was Christmas vacation the hotel was full and the pool area filled up each day. All in all it was a nice pool experience. The best part of our stay was the fireworks at Coogee beach. Unfortunately, no one working at the hotel mentioned them to us. We had even asked the concierge for his opinion on where to watch the fireworks. He recommended taking public transit downtown to near the Opera House. Luckily we noticed the fireworks being set up and decided to stay in our room. Since we had an ocean view room we saw all the Coogee fireworks easily and simply. The fireworks were spectacular! Probably not as Immense as the downtown fireworks but to us they were awesome.
My last comment is the hotel room was very quiet. There was lots of street noise but we did not hear it from our room.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Arrived early but early check in no problem. Great room, very modern and clean. Not particularly cheap but that is due to A$ being strong.

Nice views of Pacific and beach. Well located for walking base. Plenty of buses into central Sydney just opposite hotel.

Will return at some point.

• Stayed December 2010
Nashville, TN USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

This location is quite unique. It is right on the beach road at Coogee Beach, about 15 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from downtown Sydney. Wow!
I was registered for a standard room and often get free upgrades due to my status with the chain, but in this case the very nice and very efficient reception person offered me a paid upgrade for a "special deal". So much for my status...., but I declined, which might have been a blessing in disguise. The room was very typical for a Holiday Inn, but maybe not to my expectations for a Crowne Plaza, but hey, it was at the beach so who cares.
After my business meeting I returned to the room to find water dripping from the ceiling due to an air-conditioning problem.
I prepared to move to another room and the staff was excellent. They offered me a suite facing the ocean and agreed to my request that expensive internet be included. Great customer service.
This room was large and comfortable. The bed was perfect.
Only negative was there seemed to be no directory of hotel services anywhere in the room.
My stay was very comfortable and the staff continued to make me feel very special. I was particularly impressed with the followups to ensure this room met my expectations. By chance I even got a new the flat screen TV - with a larger one, but honestly the first TV's programming was more user friendly. (all the rooms were getting new TV's).
When I needed to extend my stay, they allowed me to continue in the upgraded room and included internet which I had expected I would need to move.
Based on my tally , I encountered 13 staff and every one of them was above the norm for the hotel industry in Australia.
When my mobile charger broke, I asked to borrow from the reception. They did not have the proper one, but later they called me to advise that they have secured one for me. The remarkable part is I never asked for this nor did I leave my room number. I need to highlight Erin at reception in particular.
I did not have breakfast in the hotel, but other meals that I tried were quite ok. I think the focus of the hotel restaurants is casual dining for beachgoers and they have two nice bars that were lively throughout my stay.
There was plenty of covered parking, but there was a fee from what other guests told me.
Speaking of fees, there are two big grip with this hotel - the exorbitant cost for internet is one. In line with similar hotels in Sydney, but in this day and age, pretty much unacceptable for a business traveler. The other was the surcharge to use a credit card. I looked online afterwards and could not find any notice of this surprise extra cost which leaves me disappointed after the great experience at this hotel, but then I found it in the small print of the reservation confirmation. Still disappointing.
I have to recommend this hotel, as the good far outweigh the bad, but the internet fee is something I consider for future visits.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Spent two nights here, great location, lovely staff, rooms pretty basic but adequate. Will certainly be back soon

• Stayed October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#19 of 175 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 stars 2,598 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!