“Perfect location but that is where it ends” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Sydney
“Perfect location but that is where it ends”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 3 years ago and checking in again earlier this week for a 3 night stay it was a surprise to see that the hotel really looked run down.Our room had a fabulous view right across the beach and all the way to Clovelly but that is where it ends.It has been a long time since I have stayed at a hotel and sampled such bad food - inedible,tasteless and without love.The Staff here for the most part are really friendly - with the Room Service team being a stand out.Upon check in our room was not ready so we had a bite to eat in the foyer bar and this was the best of the 8 or so meals we had over the three days - chicken caesar salad ok and the smoked salmon bagel average.I wondered over to the buffet to see what I was missing and was dumbfounded at what was being served and how badly it was being presented - glad I gave that a miss.I decided to order a Peroni on tap at the bar -" Sorry Sir we don't have that beer today" - I go back the next day and am told the same thing - when I pressed the Barman on the reason he called the cellar and attempted to get someone to change the keg !
This hotel could be great -the location right on the beach is exceptional but I just could not recommend this place in any way - it needs an overhaul from the very top !

Room Tip: avoid eating at this hotel - around the corner there are many great/affordable restaurants
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear audist
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay. I sincerely appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. Comments such as yours are discussed at our regular meetings. It’s clear that we didn't get it right on this occasion and I have certainly shared your feedback with the team.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our location and room service colleagues.
Kate Gerits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Uralla, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We have stayed here quite a lot over the years and are IHG members.We booked an ocean view room,got a room with a partial(from the balcony) view and no IHG benefits such as upgrade,newspapers etc.We really like staying here but have found over the past few years that IHG membership is often ignored at IHG hotels.Perhaps it is time that IHG instructed front end staff in the aims of club membership.That being said,we enjoyed great breakfasts and the proximity to the beach and shops and IHG did apologize when we alerted them.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room facing the beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear 10Raindrops
Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to discuss further, in particular your experience with your membership. Our membership guests are our most loyal and I was disappointed to read your comments and of course would like to understand more so that we can improve for future.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location and its views. Most rooms have balconies and overlook the pacific; and most importantly, you're just minutes from the beach and the cliff walk . The rooms are clean, functional, and include a very usable desk. In fact, it's probably the best hotel desk I've had. The bathrooms are on the small side, but still adequate. The buffet breakfast was very good but on the pricey side. I probably would have gone out for breakfast, except it was included in the room rate. Finally, I kept the balcony door open and fell asleep to the sounds of crashing waves. Overall, a good experience and no complaints!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fernando D
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our location is enviable and I’m pleased to read that you took full advantage! The coastal walk from Coogee to Bondi is a must and to hear the sounds of the ocean in the evenings is very special.
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast and I appreciate that we are surrounded by alternatives. Our full breakfast however does include made to order items, a full selection of hot breakfast items, fruits, pastries, fresh juice and espresso coffee.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Karratha, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed at crown plaza coogee for a few days before departing on our cruise. Found it to meet the standards you'd normally expect from a crown plaza. Only downside was that it was slightly dated and workout facilities were extremely limited.

• Stayed December 2013
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear MKAdventures22
Thank you for posting a review and I hope you’re having a great time on your cruise. We recognize that our gym facilities need improving and are in the process of this right now.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Overall the stay was pleasant. We had a king suite with an amazing ocean view and private balcony over looking the beach and pool. The rooms are dated but kept well, though a slight patch of mould in the bathroom let it down. The cocktails were below average. Room service fast and delicious. Parking is expensive at $25 per day and no validation discount so that was and extra $75 ontop of our room rate which was $270 p/night (and tht was a big discounted rate). I'd definitely go back to coogee... But would spend my money elsewhere unless I got a really good discounted rate.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Lovemcb007
Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. It’s hard to go past the view and the amazing location and I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed staying in Coogee. Thank you also however for your feedback regarding the room, cocktails and parking, all helpful as we continue to improve on the product and service we offer.
If you are a member of our loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, keep a look out for regular great deals that we offer periodically throughout the year.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach is a clean hotel at the south end of the beach, however it does not rate 4.5 stars and it certainly should not cost $300-400 per night for a basic room. The standard rooms are small, although each has a small balcony which is a good feature. The bathroom was VERY small, the shower is over a small bath tub and uses a shower curtain - something I loathe. Water pressure was really bad - it seemed to take a very long time to take a shower because there just wasn't enough water coming out of the shower head. The air conditioning was also quite poor - despite setting the thermostat to 21C the room always felt too warm and stuffy. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were like giant marshmallows; so soft in fact that they wrap around your face if you're not careful. Outside the room, the pool is again very small, and to describe the gym as tiny is being generous. While I stayed there, the treadmill was broken, making the gym next to useless for me. Food in the restaurant was very nice though, both at breakfast and lunch. And all the staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. The biggest disappointment for me was the price. At $300-400 per night, you should be getting a luxury resort experience; Crowne Plaza falls well short of that. To make things worse, WiFi will set you back another $9 for two hours, and breakfast (OMG it's not included in the price?!?) another $32 for the hot stuff. To me, this hotel is grossly overpriced for what you get. I'm not saying it's a bad hotel, just that the standard should be much higher if the room rates are any guide. I saw many other accommodation options around the same area, and I would be looking into those before staying at the Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Phil H
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m sorry to read that the hotel didn't meet your expectations and I sincerely appreciate the constructive feedback that you have offered. Feedback such as yours is helpful so that we may improve on our product. I also appreciate the positive comments regarding the service you received and the food and beverage offering.
Surbiton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

In our three week, multi location stay in Australia, we only stayed in one place where we had cause for complaint. In all other places service and standards have been outstanding. Unfortunately we were very unhappy with our one night stay at the Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. The following were of particular concern:

- Dressing gown cord had some undescribable filth on it
- room service meal - Mashed potato cold, mushroom sauce that was ordered, didn't arrive at all
- Room not ready on arrival, had to wait until 3pm. We arrived with two exhausted children having just come off the early flight from Noosa, and had wanted to put them down to bed straight away. Unfortunately only one of the two interconnecting rooms were ready so we would have had to sit in the dark with them. A 10% discount was offered, and accepted upon complaint to manager, but it should not have come to that.
- Refusal by concierge to wash up our baby feeding bottle, either through dishwasher or giving it to the kitchen to wash by hand, citing health and safety. When pressed, he agreed to provide washing up liquid - then left us a thimble full which was not enough for our 24 hr stay. We complained to the manager who subsequently agreed to wash up whatever we needed and also to microwave the bottles in our steriliser for us.
- Refusal to warm baby food in microwave, again citing health and safety. The food was in a plastic bowl which would have taken forever to warm by putting it in a bowl of boiling water (which is what was initially suggested). My baby was hungry and crying for food. The staff member did eventually agree when I complained strongly. I am entirely able to test the temperature before giving the food to my son and of course would take responsibility for the temperature. There seems to be no recognition of the needs of families with babies, or with small children. Another example being the in room dining kids menu, having 4 out of 5 items served with chips.
- room keys stopped working hours before our agreed late check out
- wifi in room expensive - this is outdated as in many places it is now free
- $19 to watch in room movie - again inappropriately expensive
- I rang down to ask if the outdoor pool was heated enough for a two year old (as it was in the shade and a not particularly hot day). The concierge - same one who'd refused to wash our baby bottle - said 'oh yeah it's fine, there are always little kiddies in it'. Upon trying it we found it to be absolutely freezing.

On plus side, the hotel is in a fantastic location, right on coogee beach and not far from the airport (that being the reason for our stay). Our rooms had great views of the beach. The in room dining menu for adults was very good and the food well prepared and delicious (aside from part of my meal being cold and part missing, as per above!). The beds are large and comfortable, and the bathrooms adequate, albeit outdated and a little small. The manager was very helpful when we complained.

On balance I would not stay here again nor recommend it to anyone with young children.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, but go for the east end of the hotel as they have the fullest view of the be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear iamtigger
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. Of course we are all disappointed to read your review and agree that we could have done far better to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. Each of the items that you have raised has been discussed in our recent operations meeting and the wider team have been briefed accordingly. However difficult it may be to read and see this review on our site, I still appreciate the feedback and know we will improve.
Thank you again.
Kate Gerits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#19 of 175 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 stars 2,592 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!