“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Newcastle, Australia
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've stayed here several times and each time I come away very impressed. The last two visits I've been checked in by Chloe, who even when extremely busy, is efficient and makes me feel welcome. I've got several bookings coming up and I've just got off the phone from Margaret from in-house reservations, as I had to change a few things around, and even with me doing my best to confuse her, she was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach meets the highest standard of customer service in all aspects, and the amazing location & views are a bonus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear lindat44
Thank you for reviewing Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach and most especially for mentioning Chloe and Margaret. Both are invaluable members of our Front Office team and were delighted to read your review
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Kate Gerits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony. It was a very comfortable and quiet room with a great view. The hotel is just across the road from the beach and there is nothing to obstruct the seascape. It is also just one street over from several good restaurants and shops. Guest services were very helpful and prompt in fulfilling requests. Overall it was a very pleasant area and very relaxing stay. I have stayed at this property twice now and these are the reasons I will keep coming back.

The only drawbacks were not having a guest laundry and the bathroom looked outdated. The fixtures were worn out gold metal that didn't seem in keeping with the rest of the decor and there were places caulked in the shower tiles where you could tell fixtures had been moved without replacing the tile.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear zion4mybackyard
Thank you for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. We do have an enviable location and many of our rooms enjoy spectacular views over Coogee Beach. Thank you also for your feedback on the guest room bathrooms; we are currently in the process of working through a bathroom upgrade plan and feedback such as yours is very helpful.
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is my third review of the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Coogee Beach. Why three reviews? This would be because of the ongoing story of their journey towards doing "the right thing" needs to be told. Please indulge me if you are interested in both a true and genuine attempt by a hotel to actually listen to their customers, and a post-script on the power of the consumer and the "Trip Adviser" website!

My wife and I first stayed at this hotel back in 2011. It was perfect, and the 5 "circle" rating we gave it was well deserved. Great location, wonderful views of Coogee Beach in Sydney's Eastern suburbs, excellent service and a staff that really cared. We went away from our stay very satisfied and vowed to return and use this place as our "base" whenever we visited Sydney. Yes, we had been "won over" for life! You can read this review and see what I said about the place for yourselves. It was great.

However, when we returned in 2012, we found that with the hotel being full, our room we had booked and confirmed with a WRITTEN confirmation had been given to someone else. The term I used was that we had been "gazumped". This was particularly annoying as my written confirmation was very clear insofar as we had a King Bed room facing the beach. One would think that this was pretty well clear, but apparently "no such confirmation existed". At least that's what the girl behind the desk told me. She then spent an hour trying to find "evidence" to back her claim that I was actually "lying" about my "confirmation". However, my evidence was clearly scribed on my booking that I had pre-paid. Yes, that's right, they had already taken my money so I could just go and "phht". There was nothing that could be done as they already had taken my money.

I was pretty annoyed about the whole sour deal and the review I wrote for my second stay can also be read on the Trip Adviser website. As you can see for yourself if you read it, I was brutally honest about my experience.

However, it is at this point that the extraordinary kicked in. The Manager of the Hotel (who, I should add, was NOT the person who told me that they were the "Manager" on my second "gazumped" stay) wrote a genuine, apologetic reply to my second "one circle" review. Yes, I had been brutally honest, and yes, they regretted this, and I was urged to contact them and talk about it personally. When I actually DID make the call, the "real" Manager was quite surprised that I would even bother! Apparently not many people actually take up such offers to "make good". I took her offer at face value and decided to see what would happen.

What happened was quite frankly remarkable. I was immediately sent a gift voucher for two nights stay with breakfast included. My wife and I were once again to stay in Sydney this February 2013, so I thought I would give them a chance to redeem themselves. I pre-paid for the third night myself and off we went.

We arrived with a special welcome from the front desk staff, who were obviously expecting us. Our room was lovely, facing the beach with a king bed, just as we had ordered. A card wishing us a pleasant stay and a box of chocolates was awaiting us in our room. The card "thanked" us for allowing them a "second chance". The service for the three days was excellent, the breakfasts were great and the hotel was everything it was in my first "5 circle" review from 2011.

The moral of the story? I reckon there are a few.

Firstly, the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Coogee Beach is an excellent hotel. There is no doubt about it. The location, the service, the rooms, the views and the general amenities are first class.

Secondly, there will always be some recalcitrant staff member no matter where you stay that pops up from time to time and does the wrong thing, no matter what the hotel is like. That's life I guess, and one should not judge the entire hotel by a single person's actions. Albeit it may be hard to do when they hold the key to your world for a few days but it happens and that's life I guess.

Thirdly, you should ultimately judge hotels (and people in general as well I guess) not by the mistakes they make from time to time but what they actually do to try and FIX them. Mistakes happen, that's life. Blaming the paying customer for them is not cool, but sorting them out and making true amends is.

Fourthly, never underestimate the power YOU have as a customer. There has never been a time before when the customer has so much power. Once upon a time only professional journalists could write reviews on hotels for widespread publication. Nowadays, every Joe and Josephine Blogg can do it. And the hotel actually takes note, as they now understand that travellers like us actually DO read and make judgements on our discretionary holiday spending based on things we read right here on Trip Adviser.

So, Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach Hotel, you have taken your really "bad rap" I gave you, sucked it up, and went out of your way to show the world this was a once off and will never happen again. I believe them too. It's a great hotel with great staff and now I actually do know for sure that when it comes to their customers and their reputation,

They actually DO give a "sherbet" !!

Room Tip: Ask for a room "facing" the beach as some of the "ocean view" rooms actually hav...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear EljayAdelaide
Thank you for taking the time to post a follow up review after your recent stay. The team and I do care very much about each guest stay. We sincerely appreciated that you gave our team a second chance and are really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay this time around.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Sydney and thank you again for the follow up review.
Kissing, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a nice stay in that hotel with a beautiful room with ocean view. Great beach (family beach Sydney) nice long distance walking area to other beeches and beautiful places in the cliffs.

A nice small shopping road, where you can buy everything you need as well as can have good food of all kinds.

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and the restaurant as well as the ocean bar can be recommended. 35 - 40 min. by bus directly into the heart of Sydney with a bus stop in front of the hotel.(by the tickets in the convinience shop across the street before you travel). Disabled people will find it great too, because everything is layed out for disabled people too.

We enjoyed a great stay having a fine seafood buffet with all seafood you can find in the Pacific.

Room Tip: Chose the ocean view rooms with direct view from the bed to the seaside
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HaraldW969
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. It sounds like you really got to enjoy the very best that Coogee has to offer; a great beach, coastal walks, close to the city and great restaurants.
Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back again.
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Proximity to Sydney Children's Hospital was our priority and why we chose this hotel. The front desk staff were extremely efficient and friendly, as was the concierge the night we arrived. We only stayed one night but if we had stayed any longer I would have asked for another room as the fan or a/c was extremely noisy. Concierge on duty the day we left could have been a bit more efficient! Fair amount of choice for eating in other cafes outside the hotel.

Room Tip: The A/C or fan in our room on the 4th floor was extremely noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear fundi8
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. We often have families stay that need to be close to the Children’s Hospital and I’m pleased we were able to accommodate you during this time. I’m sorry to hear that the air conditioning was noisy in your guest room. We will endeavor to ascertain which room you occupied to ensure this is fixed for the next guest.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Welcoming, clean and modern. Standard size hotel rooms but you can't beat the view from your balcony.
Large choice of food options for breakfast. Bit more pricey than other hotels but that goes with the Crowne brand.
Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear LiggySydney
Thank you for recently staying with us at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. I’m pleased we were able to upgrade you to one of our Ocean View rooms, the view is certainly spectacular.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here, "Per" at the front desk is so efficient and welcoming with great personality which is a refreshing change. Great buffet breakfast and large rooms. Very pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Suzytymay
Thank you for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. A great first impression is very important and Per and the team really appreciate your kind comments. Thank you also for your comments regarding breakfast, the breakfast team is very proud of their offering!
We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you visit Sydney.
Kate Gerits

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!