“No peace and quiet!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Coogee
melbourne
“No peace and quiet!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a one night stay - the first night away from our kids in 5 years, so we were looking forward to a long and uninterrupted nights sleep.

The check in was fine and the fact there was 2 weddings in the hotel that night seemed like just a nice addition to the things on offer to look at as we wandered around the foyer on the way out. We also had a small but nice room with wonderful sea views on the 7th floor.

Regrettably, it all went wrong around 11.30pm when the room next to us became the 'after party' venue for one of the weddings. They were loud and obnoxious and obviously drunk. We did call downstairs and the night porter did make a visit to them to try and quieten them down - but to little avail.

Perhaps its unfair to blame the hotel on other guests poor but unfortunately it ruined our stay. And once something like this happens all the other minor things you may perhaps overlook became black marks as well - old cigarette butts on our balcony that hadn't been cleared up, no newspapers available in the morning and a surcharge to pay by credit card.

Perhaps if its a hotel that hosts many weddings, and its obvious that some guests are going to want to keep drinks and play up, then perhaps all the wedding guests staying in house could be housed on a floor together so they annoy the hell out of each other rather than ruin other peoples stay.

Room Tip: The rooms not next to drunk wedding revellers are probably quieter!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear MelbourneChina
Thank you for your review and I apologise that your evening was ruined by the actions of others. We do try and place wedding guests on the same floor as each other however I’m sure you can appreciate that this is not always possible. We will however review our policies and actions to ascertain if we could at all improve the situation for future guests.
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Was Great! Stayed with Hubby and two kids room was great beds were great had a goodnight sleep views were fantastic breakfast was awesome and included in the price kids had a double bed not a crap fold out bed like most hotels.

Room Tip: Ocean views are a winner
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Holly S
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

You expect a certain standard when staying at a Crowne Plaza that this hotel just did not meet.

No valet parking (not that I would ever use this service but something that is normally on offer at a Crowne). No concierge - well there is apparently one there but was no-where to be seen on check in or check out. Unfortunately reception staff are untrained and could not understand that we had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and 1 room for only 1 night and that we wanted to pay for the 3 rooms total in one transaction - this concept seemed to be beyond comprehention. Also despite 3 rooms being booked in the same booking we were placed in opposite ends of the hotel - admittedly we were advised on check in that we should have requested rooms together when they were booked.

Ocean View rooms were clean and tidy and all linens were clean, soft and fluffy. Bathrooms re tiny and have no ventilation so once 4 girls had showered bathroom mirror was totally fogged up and entire bathroom was wet - with no ventilation the room just wouldn't dry and by the end of the first day the room smelt musty.

The aircon in the room didn't seem to cool the room at all and after being on for more then about 10 minutes smelt like something was burning and condensation started to drip out of the vent - when I looked up at the vent it was convered in mould!

Volume on the TV could not be turned up or down so was way too loud at night when everything was quiet and you couldn't hear it at all during the day.

Block out curtain was broken so could not cover the window and when the sliding door was closed the wind was still whistling in.

Views from the room however were fantastic and could not ask for any better - also looked straight over the pool. According to reception spa is not heated and there is no indoor heated spa or sauna.

Staff in bar next to reception were fantastic and very knowledgable - even checking with the bar staff downstairs to see if they had a particular beer we were looking for. She couldnt do enough for us.

Staff in the bar downstairs were extremely rude and ignorant. There were about 10 people in the bar at the time and 5 of them were us. We stood at the bar waiting to be served for over 5 minutes while the boy on the other side of the bar was mixing drinks for another order - he was quite literally on one side of the 40cm wide bar and we were all standing on the other side face to fac however he did not look up once, did not acknowledge any of us, not even to say "I'll be with you in a minute". The girl behind the bar just seemed to be walking around doing nothing until one of us spoke up, then she begrudgingly served us with the kind of attitude you never want to receive from a person who works in the service industry. Then after taking our order forgot one of our drinks and when asked for it - I could have sworn I had actually asked for her first born child! None of us could actually believe how bad the service was!

Having read the other reviews for this hotel I could swear that is not the place that we stayed. The issues we had with the room I would believe could have just been our bad luck in room 308 and the others might not be the same and maybe all the staff were having a bad day or weekend!

Room Tip: Request that you don't get given room 308
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear anneastascia
Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback. While its not easy to read, its obvious that we didn’t get everything right and for this I truly apologise. You should expect better than what you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that your comments have not passed un-noticed and have been discussed at length with the departments concerned.
If you would like to discuss the matter further please don’t hesitate to make contact with me directly at the hotel.

Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have written about this hotel previously and gave it 5 stars. It is a beautiful property with lovely ocean views of Coogee Beach in Sydney. Everything was wonderful, so my wife and I decided that we would return. We booked through "Hotels.com.au", and this was the first time I had ever used that website.

So, what does one do when you pay for a room in full prior to arriving, receive a confirmation for a King Bed Ocean View room from an "agent", but when you turn up the hotel has given your room to someone else?

Well, there is NOTHING you can do as they have your money already. I understand this practice is called "Gazumping". There was both a wedding and another function on in the hotel and obviously someone else decided that the two small beds was not to their liking. They got there first and were given our room! By the time we arrived, there was only a room with two beds, each of which was not much bigger than a single.

My wife and I have been married 30 years and we sleep together. This is why we made sure we had a CONFIRMATION for the king bed. WRITTEN confirmation. Apparently this is STILL not good enough.

The Hotel Manager was the smiliest person I have ever met. It was really nice when she smiled sweetly as she told me that I was lying as I could not have possibly been given such a confirmation as it was only ever a "request" and they do not "confirm" such things. "What the . . . . ?"

Here's a tip - when you are accusing REPEAT guests of lying, the smile only makes it worse. The search for evidence to refute their claim instead of trying to sort out the problem sealed the sordid deal.

I have since re-checked my confirmation from hotels.com.au. There is nothing in it about a "request". In fact, my documentation says "Confirmation" of a King Bed Room. That seems pretty clear to me, as in fact what I actually booked and paid for had never been in doubt to my mind.

So, I do not know who is to blame, Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach for giving away our room or Hotels.com.au for confirming something they never should have confirmed. One thing, however, is certain. I will NEVER again trust either of these two companies again. I will not use the Hotels.com.au website again as they cannot be trusted with my money.

If I ever stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach again, I will NOT be paying in advance, so that if they "Guzump" me again at least I will still have my money and argue the bill. Or walk away and stay somewhere else, which sadly, was not an option available to me at the time as they had already TAKEN MY MONEY!

Room Tip: Do not pay in advance as they will "guzump" your room for a better offer!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EljayAdelaide
Its disappointing to read your review especially since you chose to return to Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach and I value return patronage. I haven’t had the opportunity to speak with you previously (I’m unsure who you are referring too as the Hotel Manager however that was not myself). I would very much like the opportunity to discuss the matter with you and can be contacted directly at the hotel.
I don’t believe in the practice of ‘gazumping’ and would like to understand further how we can come to a resolution.

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Perfectly located across the road from Coogee Beach (one of Sydney's best), the Crowne Plaza is ideal for a holiday in Sydney based around time on the beach. Aside from afternoon blue bottle invasions, Coogee is a long, pleasant beach, although it does fill up over weekends and holidays. The hotel looks across the sand and out to sea (provided you have a sea view room - highly recommended), and has much to recommend it. Like almost everything in Sydney, it's not inexpensive, but offers large rooms (ours had a balcony overlooking the ocean vista), big bathrooms and a well-positioned location. Taxis come quickly, buses into the city centre leave from the road outside the hotel, and there are plenty of nearby restaurants and cafes to enjoy. We opted against hotel breakfast, and tried out local options instead - Black Pony Cafe one of several good breakfast options. Only criticisms were a couple of messages left at reception for us that weren't delivered, two shirts that came back slightly shrunk from the laundry service, and no free wi-fi in rooms. Hotel pool was also extremely busy, although it was a holiday period. Overall, though, a clean, comfortable, well-positioned hotel with friendly staff and splendid views.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DanNicholl
Thank you for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach and acknowledging our prime beachside location. Coogee Beach is certainly one of Sydney’s best and we’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
I’m sorry to hear that your messages were not delivered as asked. We will certainly consider why this didn’t occur so that it doesnt happen in the future.
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review and we hope to see you again when you next visit Sydney.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was checked in by Chloe who, although busy, was efficient and very welcoming. As a Priority Club member I was upgraded to a lovely pool & ocean view room. The room was spacious, clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. I loved the balcony overlooking the ocean and it was lovely to sit and have a morning coffee in the fresh air with the magnificent view.

I had an appointment in Sydney and it was such a pleasure to drive the 20mins from the city to Coogee, I felt like I was on a relaxing holiday. A short stroll to many cafes along the waterfront was a huge plus.

I enjoyed the location so much, I've booked again for next month.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear lindat44

Thank you for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. It really is a great alternative to a CBD hotel and only just 20 minutes drive away. Make sure for your next stay that you make time for the ‘Coastal Walk’, a great way to start the day by walking along the coast towards Bondi.

We look forward to seeing you in March.

Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza before (we're fans of ICH hotels) and were welcomed back like long lost cousins. Our room was great - a good size, with a wide balcony overlooking Coogee beach, a separate area for just relaxing and, of great importance, windows that could be opened to let in the fresh sea air. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable and in broad terms everything "upstairs" was excellent.
Unfortunately, though, I have to say that our dinner in the restaurant could have been better.... indeed it ought to have been MUCH better. A steak ordered rare was well-done, grilled prawns were tough. Breakfast, however, was excellent.
At checkout life was a little hectic, because there were two football teams trying to check out at the same time. The hotel is host to a number of sporting organisations, but this doesn't impact on the enjoyment of other guests. Nonetheless we didn't have to wait long. Asked about the extent to which we enjoyed our stay, I gave compliments about the room and mentioned the poor standard of the restaurant the previous evening. It was then that I realised that I was actually speaking to the food and beverage manager, who had pitched in to help at reception. I hope my message got through.
In brief, a great place to stay, but there are plenty of better, cheaper options to eat along Coogee Bay Road.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a beach view - it's worth it. The cheaper rooms look back into the side street...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear StayalotNewcastle

Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach and taking the time to post a review. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt welcome at our hotel. With regards to the restaurant, you spoke to the right person and I can assure you the feedback was filtered through. We appreciated your feedback and have taken on board your comments and made the changes required.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Coogee on your next visit to Sydney.

Kate Gerits

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!