“Excellent hotel with an ocean view room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel with an ocean view room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and decided to revisit again this year. We only had a short stay on this recent visit, on arrival we had booked into a village view room (which was the cheaper option) but when checking in we were told we had been upgraded to a ocean view room (lovely). As previously we had no complaints, from the room, to the staff and location, everything was first class. This hotel is an ideal location to go in and out of Sydney, but with a view to having a relaxing hotel to come back to with an excellent view.

Room Tip: Try to choose an ocean view room on the 7th or 8th floor for the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Karen I

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We really appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
We wish you all the best for New Year.

Kate Gerits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Have stayed a few times here and consider reasonable value. Buffet breakfast is good, but think many better meals for dinner available at nearby restaurants. Easy distance from the airport and usually reasonable traffic so getting to / from airport relatively okay. Right across road from the beach so that is excellent if inclined to go to the beach or to have a surf. Rooms are well set up - especially enjoy the way a desk is set up with a low wall between it and bed [ effectively a bed head] a good view out if working and good light. Amenities functional and clean. Would recommend for both business and leisure stay. Public transport is opposite - and can be useful if going into the city where parking is very expensive.

Dear Surfie999

Thank you for returning to Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. Next time you stay please try our new menu in Bluesalt Restaurant. We also have some great nightly specials in Oceans Bar in addition to our wood fired pizza.

We look forward to welcoming you back. I hear the surf is very good at the moment!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location, right on the beach, and great views if you get the right room. Rooms seem recently refurbished, and very nice really. Service a little spotty. Thought it was pricy, and the internet charge was an absolute rip-off (think it was $AUS 30 per day). Good restuarnt nearly. The Coogee-Bondi walk is justly famous, and indeed beautiful. But you can do a similar walk going south of Coogee (to Maroubra), which is almost as pretty and MUCH less crowded.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear idichev

Thank you for your review. We appreciated your comments. Since you stayed in July we have reintroduced our Crowne Plaza service training and I would be confident that if you stayed again the service would be far better than ‘spotty’.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the coastal walk, most choose to go towards Bondi however heading towards Maroubra is equally as pleasant and you can often find the beaches much less busy.

Hope to see you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed on 2 occassions recently. Overall service is consistent, concierge is always helpful, and room service is timely, although housekeeping seem to be a little less than thorough on a few days. My rooms came with beach-facing balconies - great for getting fresh air! While there won't be any shopping to do around the vicinity, there are many restaurants just a few minutes away. It can get quite full on weekends, but weekdays is really quiet. This is an ideal place to stay if you're looking for a decent-valued getaway to hang out by beach.

Dear meltwinky

Thank you for returning to Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. We sincerely appreciate your feedback.
Next time you visit, we can direct you to the closest shopping centre at Westfield Bondi and only 10 minutes in a taxi. Anyone who would like to shop should find what they need! Otherwise, Coogee is fabulous for smaller boutiques and the many great restaurants and cafes.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night to attend the John Eales medal dinner. We had a wonderful stay, though not long enough! Service was excellent, the room was wonderful. Definately the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. It was a standard room and was imaculately clean, unfortunately we only had a street veiw, but if you are on holiday you shouldn't be sitting in your room anyway! Breakfast was amazing. Breakfast was wonderful, I would have kept going back if I had room for more! Eggs were made to order any type you wanted, 2 different types of bacon, every thing you could imaging for breakfast was supplied. We will be returning to Sydney next year for the British Lions rugby tour and will definately be staying here!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Kylie357

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Coogee. The kitchen team especially appreciated your comments regarding the breakfast; they take great pride in putting together a quality product. Your comments are proudly displayed on their noticeboard for all to see.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Okay, it's an older style 4 starfish hotel. Location is great coogee beach across the road which is a lot less busy than bondi beach. I got upgraded to an ocean view room...it's what you expect in a four star hotel. My room had a bathroom with a bathtub and reasonable toiletries. The hotel looks old but I think it's being renovated. Tea making facilities , ironing board, extra pillow which were good and blankets abound. Weird desk lamp, cheerful beachy 'paintings' decorate the room.
Balcony with sliding doors are good so you can see the pool - basic and the beach.

The good- breakfast is $32 which is a bit excessive but they had a barista so good coffee, lots of newspapers and a range of traditional buffet breakfast s well as juicer, smoothies, yoghurt etc
I had a butterscotch macaroon for afternoon tea - it was great, not as delicate as laudre but delicious.

The bad- Internet price , tea is $4 for exactly same thing in the room, service was dubious. It was perky and reasonably fast checkin but even though it wasn't busy, I just got the feeling that the front reception person wanted to get rid of me. They gave me a free upgrade which I didn't ask for, but it just felt like ..blah , we have upgraded you... I wasn't even sure which way the rooms were or the lift.
The restaurant food in general is more like a cafe and overpriced, so I would recommend a walk as there's many cheaper and better options. We liked a restaurant called 'sauce' few blocks away, near McDonald's.
The ugly... There is no information in the room about hotel facilities, check out time or where the gym , facilities etc .
I highlight this because I was rudely checked out without my knowledge ( this has never happened to me in 20+ years of travelling!) I was attending a conference which the hotel knew about since I mentioned it when I checked in and had intended to possibly extend my stay by a day after the conference as I had not bento coogee before and the area is beautiful.

I was heading up at just after 12pm as the seminar ran into lunch time , only to find a person with my bag heading to the reception ( we're talking about less than 15 minutes after the hour). I think they could have let me know, confirmed with me in the morning, let the conference organisers know or lots of other normal behaviour. Instead, someone had gone through my personal belongings (lucky I had packed most of my overnight lugguage), shoved it on top on my client documents and checked me out. I was very embarrassed and the whole check out process was like being told off. It was obviously a pain for the blonde reception person to add my priority club member points as she had to tap more keys on her computer.

She loosely folded the my hotel invoice ( I was check out at 12:06) no questions about the minibar even....I know hotels are busy and they want to use the room etc, but this was ridiculous and I felt really embarrassed. Again, there were no other people at the reception except a coupl evening handled by another reception person.

I used to travel a lot and stay at intercontinental hotels ... So much so that I used to have free chauffeur transfers and upgrades to suites etc so I am sympathetic to the hospitality industry needs....but I have to say that this is the worst example of staff letting the hotel down.

I would have stayed,was thinking of recommending it to my friends who will be visiting Sydney as an alternative to staying in town as the beach and the cares look nice, but not at this hotel-they want to get rid of you...fast

Room Tip: Try not to get served by the reception person I had! I'm sure this hotel is better under normal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear globalgal444

Thank you for taking the time to review Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. To say I was disappointed to read your review would be an understatement. As you can see from the many reviews your experience is out of character. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss further with you and offer my personal apology for any inconvenience caused. I can be reached directly at the hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed with my wife and two young children during our first trip to Australia. The view from the room was superb - I saw a whale jumping out of the sea on my first morning - and the rooms were of an ample size for a family. The hotel itself was very well looked after and all staff were extremely helpful. Breakfast offered a great selection with the two children eating for free. We used public transport to get to and from Sydney and the hotel is ideally situated for that with a frequent bus service stopping just outside the hotel. We would definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to visit Australia again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Richard B

Thank you for posting a review for Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach after your recent stay. For the past couple of weeks we have been spoilt to have the whales right off the beach and easily viewable from the hotel. I can imagine how much the kids would’ve enjoyed this.

Thank you for acknowledging our great location. You really can have a beachside holiday in Sydney that is close to the city for major attractions yet enjoy all that a beach has to offer right on your doorstep.

We wish you a safe journey home to the UK.

Kate Gerits

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!