“HOPELESS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Charrington Boutique Hotel

The Charrington Boutique Hotel
You added The Charrington Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Charrington Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Centennial Avenue, Chatswood, Willoughby, New South Wales 2067, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chatswood
Tamworth, Australia
“HOPELESS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I booked there about 4 weeks before a two night stay & they rang me the day before & said they never had a room available because of "the system".I then asked them to find me another motel in Chatswood because I had made arrangements to meet people there etc.So they told me they found another room in Chatswood ,when I turned up there they told me Charrington had actually booked us into one of their other motels in a different suburb.
Charrungton then found us a room for one night only & we were forced to bludge a room with friends for the 2nd.The time this took to sort out cause us to miss an all expenses paid harbour cruise which was to be the highlight of our trip.Charrington totally wrecked our trip & didnt even have the decency to apologise-they are a disgrace.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews from a different website. I really don't know why people give this hotel a high rating when there really isn't anything nice or charming about it. When we got to the reception, I thought that the place looked okay. But the moment we got into our room, we were terribly disappointed that we wanted to leave right away. However, as I had booked online, I could not get a refund anymore. The room had a musty smell and looked nothing like the pictures on the internet. There was no airconditioning and the ceiling fan was so noisy. We immediately opened the doors to the balcony, but still couldn't get rid of the disgusting smell of the room. On my way out of the room, I overheard a customer also complaining about how musty his room smelled.

The room was not visibly dirty, but you could tell that it wasn't clean either. The bed was not uncomfortable, but the duvet cover was so old and gross. The bathroom was uncomfortably small but looked okay until I saw the ceiling. The corner of the ceiling looked like it was already rotting. I can't believe that the room costs 119AUD when it looks like a cheap bed and breakfast place without the breakfast.

I read on the internet that there's free wi-fi which is a good thing, but when we checked in, we were not informed about it. And when we got back at past 8pm, we couldn't ask about the password because the reception was already closed. Luckily, one of us had an ipad which we used to look for another hotel to stay in for the next couple of days. And then we found Meriton in the business district which was only 130AUD, just $11 more expensive, but a whole lot bigger, nicer and better in every way you can imagine. (The place is not always that cheap but I'd gladly pay more for the comfort.)

Even though I was utterly disappointed with this place. I'll try to say a few good things. The person on the reception was nice and friendly. The glass-stained door/window was also nice, but that cannot make up for the poor appearance of the room. The location of the hotel is not bad either that is if you want to stay in Chatswood. The hotel is pretty close to the train station, restaurants and malls. However, if you're planning to spend most of your time in the city centre/harbour, then Chatswood is not the best choice. The towels were also standard and not cheap like everything else in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I arrived on a 2 day business trip at 10pm on a weekday after a long flight, I walked up to the front door, no obvious bell but then a man came to the door, there was no good evening, hello or how can I help, I got a 'so which one are you?' I then had to look on an outside wall to which was stuck a small piece of paper with my name on it under a number. Room number 2 was, apparently, me.
I was given a key and told 'out to the road again, turn right down the steps and go in the back door, look for a number 2 on the door' - was there any breakfast? I enquired, 'no' was the response 'although we sometimes do a continental for some people at weekends' - but this was not a weekend, was there an iron in the room? I asked, 'should be' came the answer and he went back inside and closed the door, so that was that. Welcome to the Charrington.
So, as instructed, I went down the stairs and down a badly lit side passage to the back door to find Room number 2, passing an open meshed windowed room with someone lying on a bed smoking, I stood on a glass jar (it was dark) on the path which smashed underfoot, I found the back door. I went in to a far from inviting corridor to find old carpet, worn doors and dim lighting. I feared the worst, I located a number 2 on the door, I couldn't get the key into the handle but the door was unlocked so opened anyway. I stepped back in time, into what appeared to be the interior of a 1970's caravan. It was old, smelly, cold, unwelcoming, I had a quick scan about, the shelves were in need of repair, the TV didnt work, the bathroom fan was noisy, I sat on and sank into a bed which had clearly seen better days. I decided I couldn't stay here.
I went back to the front door, of course there was no one there, no bell and no way of getting in - but there was a new piece of paper stuck on the inside of the door showing a mobile number - I tried calling but no answer. It went to voicemail so I left a message 'sorry, I can't stay here, I'll leave the keys in the room' And with that I was gone.

Room Tip: If you're offered a basement room, or told to 'go around to the back door' - walk away.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
charringtonhotel, Manager at The Charrington Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
This particular guest arrived late well outside out normal 8.00 to 8.00pm advertised office hours
but did not let the hotel know of his late arrival and there was no contact number given with his booking so we could not contact him.We left a key to his room together with a front door key in one of the key boxes out side the front door for him on the off chance he turned up.

He did not ring the manager 's number which was on the front door for guests who arrive late but
instead spoke to one of the permanent guests who just happened to be comeing out the front door at the time.This explaines the casual response the guest recieved to his questions about
how to find his room and the availability of breakfast.

Not sure what the guest was on about regarding the "old hall carpet " as all the hallways and public areas of the hotel have only 2 years ago been recarpeted with axminister "theatre" carpet
( approx $400.00/metre )

Whilst the room the guest was allocated due to very heavy bookings was on the ground floor
( we dont have a basement ) it is a room normally allocated to permanent long term guests and is one of our most popular rooms as it is much cheaper than our normal airconditioned rooms.

I am sorry the guest was unable to contact any of the hotel staff as I am sure he would have
recieved a very different and much more hospitable reception.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed here for two nights recently. It was inexpensive, half price compared to other accommodation around Chatswood. The Charrington is a double storey old house which has been converted into a hotel. The manager was quite friendly and gave us maps and dining information. The room was small but had a nice little verandah and ensuite, a double bed, a single bed, dining table and 2 chairs, tv, jug, coffee, sugar etc were supplied. For the price it was very comfortable. There is also a communial kitchen so you can cook for yourself if you wish. The room was very quiet and the hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the heart of chatswood. Very charming lounge area near reception with old leather lounges and heritage style furniture. No parking is abit of a problem, but it was school holidays so we got away with parking out the front. (There is a school next door) I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Palm Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We have stayed at the Charrington Hotel several times when we have been having a night out in the city and don't want to drive to our home in the Northern Beaches. The hotel is a very short walking distance from Chatswood train station which is cheap and quick way to get to town. We love the ambience of the Federation restoration and the friendly staff. The rooms are small but fully equipped and on Saturday nights have included a complimentary breakfast. Also, there is a guest kitchen but why would you want to cook when there are so many places to eat locally? Our favorite is the Fook Yuen in Help Street (recommend the Chilli fillet steak and spring rolls large servings more than enough for 2 people).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I recently had made the unfortunate decision to book this hotel for 6 nights. I had booked the colonial room for 109. Aust. dollars which is 147.00 NZD . When I arrived I was given a room in the lower floor ,basement I would call it. Had a look at it. Was dark, smelly and very claustrophobic. Told reception that was not at all like the room I had booked on line. Was then given a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel. It did look more appealing as there was definitly more light in the room and not quite so dark and gloomy. This room was not like the picture of the room I had booked either.
Dropped off my suitcase and left for the day to be with family. Upon returning late that evening. Had a look at the queen size bed. It had filthy, sheets and pillowcases, looked as though someone had previously slept in them for about 2 weeks. Sheets were stained, dirty and wrinkled, and pillow cases looked very used. Disgusting. Lucky that there was also another single bed in the room which was OK for the night. Slept there the first night did not tell reception as noone seemed to be there late in the evening. Bathroom fan very noisy and light and fan all one switch, so could not turn off the fan when in the bathroom. Peeling paint and not very nice at all. Dirty cleaning sponge left in the bathroom cupboard. I left after paying the first nights bill, but I should not have been billed for such a dirty bed and uncleaned room. Somebody elses socks under my bed! Room was not 3 star. It was 1/2 a star at the most.
Shame on you Charrington hotel for giving someone such a disgusting room and then charging them to stay in it! I would not recommend anybody book this hotel for fear of bedbugs or worse. Too bad as the location is the only thing going for this hotel.
Moved onto the Punthill hotel which is truly a 4 star hotel down the road, for only a few dollars more a night, which I would absolutely recommend.

Room Tip: After 2 rooms none recommended
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The hotel, which I would equate to having more of a B&B feel is conveniently located near to the Chatswood Railway Station/shopping centre etc, but like other reviews I also found the room dark, somewhat smelly, dated and quite tight for space. We had a twin room which had a queen and single bed which may explain some of the space issue. I think they are in the process of renovating, so this may be a good option after it's finished, but from my perspective the actual room we got did not look like the picture which looked light and airy.

We did get an unexpected free continental breakfast on Saturday and Sunday which was a nice touch.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Charrington Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!