“Cheeky joint with exceptional food and fun!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Cheeky joint with exceptional food and fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The weather was appalling but my girlfriends and I were determined to not postpone our long planned dinner and braved the cold to get here. It's that sort of gem that if you blink, you'll miss it in the busy corner of Archer St. I love the grungy brick-walled interior, there is a little corner to sit outside and they had been thoughtful enough to install a heater lamp but we just got to a cute corner and sat down to colourful chopsticks and bowls. Ordered our wine which was spectacular despite a short list, and got down to our food. The board listed what's fresh and we got inspired to have the duck curry and soft-shelled spider. My friends wanted to go with the vegetarian springroll... although I was usually hesitant with the greasy fingers, I agreed and was glad so.

These babies were crunchy, the waitress was sharp to ask that if we wanted all dishes to be served altogether, which was how we liked it. I was wolfing down the last piece that my friends were generous enough to allow me. My only complaint? Too small a portion! But it was starters after all.

Plenty of rice and the waitress again, recommended a smaller order and we were glad she stopped us from going over with the list. Both main dishes turned out beautifully and we had so much to eat and drink and laugh over without ever being disturbed. I had a wonderful black sesame seed dessert and my other friend ordered banana fritter - done well this one I have to say. No grease, just right, no going overboard with the food decor.

I would say if you give this one a miss, you'll be missing out. But do look out for it, as I said, they are a quaint little joint!

• Visited May 2013

Sydney, Australia
“A cheerful fusion place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Rice Den is young and cheerful. Dishes are products of creativity and experiment in an unique little place. Seats may be become uncomfy for a longer stay. Chopsticks come in bi-colour deliberately. A small menu that tell you they have a small kitchen that serves fewer tables but in fresh ingredients, aided by daily BlackBoard variables, enticed by attractive prices.
Casual and cheerful food, don't be off-put but its simple decor.
Some dishes can be on the oily side. The traditional Chinese bias dishes (duck pancake / sorn soup) can be rated as very average. But others - such as green apple fried fish and pepper steak, shrimp are great.
Will go again for a change.

Visited March 2013
“Great food, atmosphere and funky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Very welcoming place, even thou it is small. Fairly price menu at night with a decent serving.

The lunch menu is a great size and awesome value. I would say Asian fusion.

Met the owner Roy who is very nice and chef Nelson Cheng too.

Would go again.

They need delivery for the locals of Chatswood.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Something a little different for Chatswood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spotted The Rice Den whilst looking for a restaurant to eat and it's small and sort of hidden based on location and small signage on the street. But it was a good find.
Great atmosphere - smallish place, with wooden tables and stools. Had a cool, melbourne-esque feel to it.
The main meals average around $19. Great taste and reasonable portions. I probably would have expected slightly lower prices though. The 'specials' board was exactly the same as the normal menu.

Service was great - the lady who helped was really friendly and helped us pick some dishes.

• Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious food. A stand out from the crowd.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We first went on a coupon deal. Very rustic: concrete floor and wooden stools and benches. It actually reminded me of a few places I've eaten at in Thailand. Well, the waiter was certainly very friendly and explained all the dishes as well as the specials up on a large black board. The food was amazing and huge portions. I had the jungle curry. Large chunks of beef in a nice and spicy sauce. Yum!
We were so impressed we went back about 6 week's later: Not only did the waiter remember both of us, he even sat us at the same table at the front where you can watch people passing on the street directly outside. Again, his friendly demenour seemed real and again the food was fantastic.
Will certainly make The Rice Den a regular whenever we go to Chatswood. I would suggest you give it a try.

• Visited December 2011