“A good base for exploring North Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chatswood Inn

You added Chatswood Inn to your Saves list
Chatswood Inn
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   34 Fullers Road, Chatswood, Willoughby, New South Wales 2067, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Chatswood B&B and Inns
Rugby, England
“A good base for exploring North Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Before visiting central Sydney, I wanted to see Kur-in-Gai Chase and north Sydney. Chatswood Inn was a good base to do this.

My room was spacious and comfortable. Joanna, the owner, was friendly and helpful. One thing I'd point out (which they warned me of when I booked) is that it's easy to drive straight past the hotel, as it's not very well signed. However, it's in a quiet residential area, not too far from the city centre. I walked into town and easily found an excellent Thai restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

On My Recent stay in Chatswood we chose the Chatswood Inn and found it very comfy and cosy the Proprietors were hospitable and the next time we are in Sydney we will be staying there and recomend this Inn to anyone who wants to stay around the Chatswood area

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel is run by an older chinese couple on the outskirts of chatswood. They were very friendly but we were disappointed with our stay in general. Upon arrival, there is a distinct smell of damp which lingers throughout the old property. It is rather rund down and high celings offer little protection from the cold in winter. We were provided with a small halogen heater but still huddled up at night because of the cold. Our bed was not changed once throughout our 10 day stay and the kitchenette is just a 30 year old microwave that splatters everywhere. Also you have to wash your pots in the bathroom sink with no washing up facilities. The shower flooded continously as it drips on your head with very little power. In general, I would avoid this hotel especially if you are a young couple such as ourselves travelling. It put a slight downer on our trip and fortunately the city is accessible by a regular train service into sydney.

Room Tip: BEWARE: Chatswood is 90% asian/oriental population so many food places are all Korean,Japanese and V...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Joanna170, Manager at Chatswood Inn, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Chris J,
I am sorry to see your review. I could not find your name in our booking record. However, I still respond to your review in following points:
Firstly, all of our staff are Australian citizen and not in retirement age. I cannot accept what you have said that they are “older Chinese couple”. As you said, they treated you “very friendly”. The way you describe them is pretty racist.
Secondly, the location of Chatswood Inn is very convenient. We are in less than 1 km to Chatswood train station and Chatswood shopping malls. You only walk about 10-15 minutes to get nearly everything you need to buy. Your description of “outskirts of Chatswood” is not accurate.
Thirdly, we guarantee to change new bed sheets for every new guest. For long term stay guest, we change bed sheets in less than 5 nights. I can guarantee we have never had bed sheets unchanged for 10 days stay. Blanket or doona cover is possibly to be changed in 10 days for one guest because blanket or doona cover is wrapped by bed sheets.
Fourthly, our property was renovated for less than three years including bathrooms. Every room has sufficient windows, which provides enough fresh air. Our room heaters are brand new and have only been used for a few months. All of our room heaters are electrical and they are not halogen. All of our microwaves are less than 2 years old, which are in very good condition. Surely, we don’t have any kitchenette in 30 years. We did not list kitchenette in our room facility. We put some kitchenette in the room recently only for alteration. We always provide a new appliance if our guest had a problem with any existing appliance. We certainly will provide you a new microwave if you told us that your microwave splatters everywhere. We’d also fix your shower as soon as possible if you told us about it when you were in here.
Finally, thanks to your review. We will try our best to serve you when you come.
11 August, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I checked with the local council about this business before booking as I was concerned that one of the reviews stated that the microwave and fridge were in the bathroom, there were sewerage issues etc. The local council has no business registration for this address which means that no health & safety checks and probably no fire inspections have been conducted. I also wonder whether they have public indemnity insurance? I guess the advice is make sure you bring your own . Is it really worth booking with this business when there are others in the area of a similar price who are registered with the proper authorities?

Room Tip: Don't stay here until they are registered and can demonstrate that they have had proper health...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Joanna170, Manager at Chatswood Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
I started to know your review in last night from a phone call, I was really shocked. So, I have to join TripAdvisor for responding your review. As a business manager of Chatswood Inn, I would like to response all existing reviews on TripAdvisor.com. Here are my points.
Firstly, we are a legally registered business. We are not a new business and we have been operated our B&B following our local legal requirements for many years. The staffs at the local council have also made quite a number of inspections here. I appreciate if you could let us know the name of the council staff who you contacted. And please let us know your contact details and then I can pass this issue to our lawyer. They can answer you questions.
Secondly, we are a small B&B and we have very little capacity to take new guests. We are not affecting any other similar business near us and that’s why we did not put front sign board. For some new enquiries, we often refer them to other hotels near us who are highly rated. But we are very friendly towards our highly valued guests; we work to do as much as we can-to the highest standards we can provide you. Even though we are only a self-rated 2 ½ star B&B, we are affordable and we are comfortable. We have been working hard to improve our service according to the reviews from our real stayed guests. For this reason, we thank all of our guests’ suggestions and comments.
Thirdly, we did put a Microwave in the right place. We never have any conflict regarding to the amount and the way of their payment. We always charge credit cards with authorization. The reason why I did not respond to the previous negative reviews until now is because the 2 negative reviewers were not in my guest name list. So we didn’t know what was going on
In conclusion, I appreciate your review and wish you have a Merry Christmas. I could have same concern if I were you and was going to book an accommodation where I had never been.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was quite happy with my room, which was clean and comfortable and had everything that I needed. At one stage plumbers were working for two days near my room and I was offered an upgrade to a queen room further away from the noise, which I appreciated but didn't take up. The proprietors were honest, friendly and willing to help in any way they could with any problem which may have arisen.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Bathroom absolutely stunk of urine. Owners did try to clean it up by pouring bleach down toilet & drain but this made no difference. Doesn't smell like fresh urine - suspect the problem has been there a long time. Room was very cold despite the heater going. No milk supplied for tea & coffee - my friends room had the fridge & microwave in the bathroom. Would rather stay at a Backpackers ..... & that's saying something.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatswood
The Charrington Boutique Hotel
#2 of 2 in Artarmon
3.5 of 5 stars 78 reviews
BEST WESTERN Twin Towers Inn
Travelodge Macquarie North Ryde

Been to Chatswood Inn? Share your experiences!