“Well priced, easy access to most place in the Hunter Valley” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #12 of 29 hotels in Cessnock
Sydney, Australia
“Well priced, easy access to most place in the Hunter Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We are frequent travellers to the Hunter and normally stay in one of the pricier hotels right near the wineries but this time stayed in Cessnock at the Wine Country motor inn. The rooms are very pleasant and well appointed, the staff we met were friendly and helpful and breakfast was cheap and basic but good enough.

The motel is very central to the Wineries, the Hunter Valley gardens, local shops, restaurants and cafes and has a carpark on the doorstep. The motel is lovely and quiet and if your after a reasonably priced alternative to some of the accommodation in Pokolbin I would definitely recommend the Wine Country Motor Inn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

We are regulars at this motel visiting at least twice a month on business, with the Hunter on its door step, for the visiting tourist, it could be a cheaper alternative to the more expensive choices of accommodation on offer in the Hunter Valley. Service is always friendly & efficient, the rooms are reasonably appointed and clean although on some occasions we have found some rooms have had carpet stains which drags down the overall standard which on most occasions is good. The rooms are quiet and comfortable.
The location is convenient with a woollies & Coles a short 2 minute stroll away, a short 10-15 minute walk takes you to a number of good to very good restaurants as well as a club right on the door step of the motel, I can't comment on the club as I have never been in there. we find this a good reasonably priced motel, we visit often and will continue to visit, highly recommended.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights work related after a bad experience in Singleton. From the moment i phoned to book nothing disappointed. Friendly,room was good,parking was fine,barely saw anyone nice and quiet & close to the beautiful vineyards which i had to drive through each morning back to that singleton place! stay again without a second thought.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Reccommended to us by a friend we booked and drove out for a night for a friends party. When we drove in at first glance I thought oh my God they have whacked a motel into the middle of the carpark... but deciede to park and head to the RSL attached for lucnh. The bistro stayed open for a little longer for us, the staff were all lovely with a smile from the front door even in the kitchen when they stayed behind for us, then great food with great value. Then to our room- WOW a gorgeous room $165/night with a separate tv area, bath and comfy bed and 2 tvs just incase i didnt like the fishing show he chose to watch. THEN a lovely late check out with no problems. Everything was great, the girl at the front desk very helpful and all was lovely!!

Room Tip: dont pay $160 for a single pay $165 and get twice the room and double the luxury.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in a room with a king bed that was very comfortable and the best pillows. The room was very clean and tidy.We had breakfast in the dining room each morning that was very nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Our stay started from a last minute (literally) phone call to management to book a room for 3. We were promptly booked in by a very friendly chap who arranged everything we needed.
Arrived to a luke warm blank faced welcome & was shown our room when I asked (before paying). The room was very large, sofa bed & roll-away had been made up and room was spotless. I said that we didn't need the roll-away because the sofa bed was satisfactory but the reply was "well its done now!" Back at reception she proceeded to charge me a rate way above the internet price including the roll-away. I expected the roll-away charge to be removed!!! I then requested room charges to be held back until checkout because I knew we'd have breakfast daily and possibly dinner as well and I wanted a complete charge (not multiples).
I didn't sleep well on both nights because the air-con was directly next to the bed & it was noisy. You couldn't leave it off because the room would become stuffy and leaving windows open would let mozzies in. Needless to say I bought earplugs the next day!
Next day when checking my bank account I found the room had been debited in full (not just funds held, but actually cleared). I asked why and I got "I dunno".
Breakfast was ok, we were upgraded to a hot breakfast because of a large tourist group ($12.50 & free for young son) staying at the motel - a bonus for us!
The owner was ok, didn't smile or radiate warmth, however he was prompt & efficient, obviously wanting his establishment to be good for the guests. I just didn't get the good country vibe I was expecting and got from everyone else in the Hunter.
Will I stay again? Not sure, whilst the motel was very clean, I didn't feel very welcome & felt the mood was perfunctory. This industry needs friendly faces, especially when being charged top dollar for a motel overlooking BigW!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

After a very long, wet and tedious drive, we arrived in Cessnock with nowhere to stay. We were grateful to the young manager of this motel. Who stayed on beyond 9.00 pm to let us in, he was most helpful.
The room was adequate, clean and comfortable. Our only criticism, was that there was a strong smell of stale tobacco, but not really the motel staff's fault.
The manager was appropriately apologetic the next morning.
It turned out to be an excellent base to start a tour of the Hunter Valley.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wine Country Motor Inn? Share your experiences!