“Best in Queenstown” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Queenstown
Hobart
“Best in Queenstown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Silver Hills offers attentive and friendly service as well as comfortable rooms and a good location. James makes everyone welcome and personally attends to special requests with a great deal of goodwill. I very much enjoyed staying at Silver Hills recently. I have no doubt that it will very soon be recognised as the best place to stay in Queenstown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I go to the West Coast of Tasmania fortnightly with my job. I previously stayed at the Gold Rush and didn't like it at all for various reasons. I had heard that Silver Hills had been upgraded and also saw something in the local newspaper "The Advocate" about the upgrade so thought i would give it a try. I have never looked back - for Queenstown this is great accomm. The service from staff is second to none i have seen anywhere - always really friendly and nothing is too hard for them. The restaurant "Smelters" is amazing - I am always keen to know what has been added to the menu and what the specials are, i haven't had a bad meal here - and the view is to die for! The rooms have always been clean and basic and value for money. There is good heaters, hot showers and electric blankets for the colder months! Would recommend to anyone travelling to Queenstown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
silverhillsmotel, Owner at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Katemullo,

Many thanks for your positive comments about our Motel. Its been noted here previously about how we are working hard to improve the rooms, and at the same time keeping the rate very reasonable ... so its really great to hear that we are on the right track.

Most of our corporates choose to stay in the Deluxe Queens, and with new beds, flatscreen TV,s, new linen & towelling, free WiFi etc we seem to be ticking a few boxes ...

So again thank you for the feedback, and hopefully we can welcome you back again.
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at the Silver Hills Motel for one night last week (April 2012). To be honest we weren't expecting much due to the low price.
Upon arrival the owner was extremely friendly and helpful. He made us feel very welcome.
Obviously it is an older facility and so the buildings were dated. It was however, easy to recognise the owners commitment to updating and modernising this hotel.
Our room was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was modern and immaculately presented. The bed was very comfortable. The room featured a large plasma tv and also free wifi internet. We had a roadside room with a fantastic mountain view.
The restaurant was cosy with a roaring fire. The food was outstanding. My husband had a steak which he claimed to be one of the best he has ever eaten. I was shocked to see a vegetarian option and even further surprised to find that it was truly delicious.
Don't expect luxury accommodation however if you are wanting a clean, comfortable place to stay then definitely choose Silver Hills Motel. I would not hesitate in staying there again as we received outstanding customer service and value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

When we arrived I had a predisposed back problem that decied to explode on the scene upon walking into reception. Our booking was expedited and I was provided with physical assistance to get me to our room as I had collapsed to the floor. My wife was given all the assistance the management could possibly provide. The motel has a large dining room and considering my disposition meals were brought to our room. The food was great. The motel is older, it has approx 50 units and these are modest but being slowly upgraded. Our bed was great. Free internet connection is available. The motel is only a 10-15 minute leisurely walk into town. I was so thankfull for the assistance received and genuine concern shown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Furstenfeldbruck, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

When you arrive at the Silver Hills Motel, you can see that it used to be quite modern and nice - but that must have been quite some time ago. I'd say it is still o.k. to stay there if you cannot find anything nicer but it's definitely bad value for money. The room we had was quite small and a bit smelly. I'd say the bedroom was even acceptable, even though it was not very clean but the bathroom was just rotting away. Everything was very old and the towel rail was only very loosely attached to the wall and eventually fell out of the wall on one side.

Apart from that, we've actually enjoyed that it was pretty quiet and we've had a really nice view of the mountains from our window.

This place is definitely not horrible or anything, so I believe it just takes some renovations and some more cleaning - and this could be a nice place to stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
silverhillsmotel, Manager at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
This Motel was certainly THE place to stay some 15 - 20 years ago, and it is this owners intention to bring the Silver Hills Motel back to its former glory ... and yes we are currently renovating! With 60 odd rooms, Restaurant, Kitchen & Laundry we have accomplished an amazing amount in just a few months, and feedback from locals and guests, and occupancy rates have really improved. But there is still more to do ... hence room rates have been kept well below the other properties in Queenstown, even though our product is now superior.
I wouldnt describe any of the bathrooms as you have though, although some do need modernising...so my promise is to everyone is to provide clean, warm and comfortable rooms and great food at a very...very acceptable price point...as well as great customer service
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This motel is on the outskirts of town and in a quiet location with great views of the mountains. Room was rather small and the shower and toilet very small! It was clean and comfortable. I had to ask staff to open the windows as I could not reach! Very hot. Continental breakfst is available during the week, but closed on Sundays so I had to have my own food in my room. Dinner had a limited menu and last orders at 7.30pm was a bit early for me. However, the food was quite good. James is the new owner, very pleasant and helpful, and acknowledging he has plenty of work to do to improve this motel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Silver Hills Motel is located about 1 km from Queenstown centre on the main - but quiet - road into the town from direction Devonport.
The property is a mature traditional motel set-up, with a central building housing motel reception and a restaurant, and several separate blocks of motel cabins. There is plenty of free off-road parking directly outside the motel rooms.
Our room - described online as an Executive Queen room - was a small double room (by far the smallest so far during this Australian holiday) with a small ensuite shower room. The room had a single chair and a TV unit, as well as the reasonably comfortable queen bed. The decor was neutral and in reasonable condition. There was no aircon in the room, but it did have a small heater. The room was advertised with free WIFI internet, but it turned out to be virtually unusable due to constant service interruption from poor reception (we were warned about this at check-in, when we were told that poor WIFI reception is a general problem in the town). The ensuite shower room looked rather tired. The room was perfectly clean.
Our only contact with the motel staff was at check-in, where our host was very personable, friendly and helpful with local directions.
We did not use the motel restaurant, so I can't comment on that.
Our overall impression was of a basic, no frills motel, ok for a night stop, but not for a holiday stay. With the size, finish and equipment provided in our room, the room description of "Executive" was a bit of an exaggeration!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Hills Motel? Share your experiences!