“Doreen and Frank” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old School

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Danby Wiske
The Old School
You added The Old School to your Saves list
Danby Wiske, Northallerton DL7 0NQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Danby Wiske B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“Doreen and Frank”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is a lovely clean house with a good breakfast and Frank as an ex publican is a great host supported by Doreen's attention to detail. We arrived shamefully early and they made us really welcome. The house is completely centred around their guests with a lounge with tea and coffee- it's lovely to have somewhere other than the bedroom to sit. The pub does really good food which was a surprise for such a small village.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Guildford England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The four of us had a very warm welcome from Frank and Doreen whilst we were on the C2C. They are lots of thoughtful touches evident - for example they provide a dedicated sitting room with its own fridge etc. They also couldn't have been kinder or more helpful when I had to hang around and wait for the luggage van in the morning. Unlike a previous reviewer I was made very comfortable and did not feel I was intruding or a nuisance.
I would definitely go back if I was in the area again as they are such a lovely couple.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We arrived at the Old School House while on the Wainwright Coast-to-Coast, and were greeted by a gentleman who leaned in to kiss me on the lips. (I turned my cheek, bewildered and not knowing who he was; my friend did the same.) We soon figured out it was Frank, after he introduced himself, but it was a very odd welcome and indicative of how the rest of the stay would play out.

Frank and Doreen's place is like your friend's grandparents' house, with its photos and knickknacks. It felt more like their home rather than a B&B, which made us a little uncomfortable, as we felt we were intruding on their space a bit. They couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating, however, so we just went with it.

One strange thing happened upon checking in, however, as my friends were booked in a double, but placed in a room with two twin beds without explanation. Doreen saw the bewilderment on my friend's face (my friend thought she was being placed in that room because she was not married to the person sharing her room - the place just had that old-fashioned vibe) and asked if the room was okay - my friend said yes, but Doreen pulled me aside later and asked me to explain to my friend that the shower in the double had broken, which is why there was a last-minute change. Why would she not have explained that herself? It was just odd behavior - not malicious or devious, just plain odd. Doreen is also very talkative and will share the ins and outs of innkeeping with you; it's very friendly conversation, but was difficult to break away from, even as you inched ever closer to the door and your waiting friends, who saw the whole scene unfold, utterly amused.

We really liked Frank and Doreen, and they made us a wonderful breakfast, dried all our things, and let one of my friends and I loiter in the sun room (as they blared 80s light pop as ambience) while we waited for Packhorse to fetch us and our luggage. They also prepared nice packed lunches for us where we could pick and choose what we wanted to include in them.

This was a pleasant stay, but just plain odd overall. I have to say that we never truly felt at ease, despite the friendly hosts; we felt more like we were intruding, as we had to walk through their kitchen to get anywhere (while they were cooking), for example.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
S Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Considering we had just gone through thunder and lightning on our coast to coast walk and looked like something the cat dragged in the welcome was excellent.
Good clean accommodation and good food
Would return

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at The Old School in June whilst doing the C2C. We were greeted by Frank and Doreen who made us tea and cake and made us feel right at home and forget about the blisters that were getting bigger by the day. Our accommodation was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was a hearty start to the day. Doreen prepared us a wonderful packed lunch for the day ahead and when we went to put our gaiters on the next morning we discovered that Frank had washed them for us . Frank and Doreen made our stay so enjoyable that it was hard to leave and get back on the track. I would thoroughly recommend staying at the Old School when visiting Danby Wiske.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Woodbridge Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had read the reviews of this little B and B and were certainly not disappointed! Boots dried out, washing taken and dried, tea and cake in garden. Felt very spoilt and relaxed. Breakfast was lovely and given a choice of what we would like for our packed lunch. Wonderful kind friendly couple running a wonderful bed and breakfast, Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Frank and Doreen made us very welcome - Frank even washed our muddy gaiters for us! Fabulous place to stay for weary walkers with great breakfast and packed lunch the next day. Laundry facilities available as well.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Old School? Share your experiences!