“First impressions do matter” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Airlie Beach

You added Peppers Airlie Beach to your Saves list
Peppers Airlie Beach
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Mount Whltsunday Drive, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Sydney
“First impressions do matter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

First impressions do matter and upon checking in to this resort, we were greeted with a room that had not been serviced (ie. used wine glasses on the coffee table, a bag of rubbish, used towels on the floor etc).

However, a quick call to reception and a new room was organised for the night with the option of either staying in the new room, or moving back to our original room the following morning once housekeeping had done their thing.

Apart from the above, overall the hotel/resort is quite pleasant. The housekeeping can be a very inconsistent (ie. bath mat left one day, then no bath mat the following or washing detergent left one day but none the next). This isn't do or die, but consistency would be nice.

The other major issue from this hotel is the mobile reception. My partner and I are both with Vodafone and had major issues with coverage, so do beware of this if you are reliant on your phone for anything urgent.

The rooms are also supposed to have Hotspot access through Azure, but the coverage for this was almost non existant. We found it easier to connect to a Hotspot at another hotel down the road.

One last thing, if you like a nice shower then you will be disappointed with the water pressure at this hotel and I mean 'disappointed'. The pressure in the shower is so weak that's it's virtually impossible to look forward to a nice shower after a day at the beach. My advice - shower at the beach instead.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
LLohrey, General Manager at Peppers Airlie Beach, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you providing us with your valuable feedback. It is pleasing to note that overall you had a pleasant stay at Peppers Coral Coast.
I was disappointed to hear you experienced housekeeping and water pressure issues and am regretful that these issues were not brought to my attention during your stay, as there are processes in place to quickly remedy any issues that may arise.
I have passed your feedback onto our internet provider Azure in regards to the wireless coverage for this to be tested. Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Peppers Coral Coast.
Kind Regards,
Leonie Lohrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
South Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

We are leaving Peppers Coral Coast tomorrow, so I thought I would write my review today. We decided to stay on the Airlie beach mainland since the cost of rooms was much less than on one of the islands. We were able to get a deal of stay 3 nights get one free. We spent our money on excursions to the Great Barrier Reef (Cruise Whitsunday outer reef tour AMAZING!!, AirWhitsunday panarma plane tour AMAZING!!) I am very happy with our choice. The hotel is fairly new, it seems more of a beach condo community than a hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious and have their own kitchen, balcony and washer and dryer. I have to say the washer and dryer were great. We have been traveling for a week when we got here, and we did all our laundry. The rooms are well equipped. The kitchen has everything you need to cook, (but why would you when you have Fish Divine and Capers just a cab ride away) We even ordered take out and it was delivered to our room one night. The room is nice, It is a one bedroom apartment. Separate bedroom, with bathroom (HUGE TUB, tiny shower) then a kitchen/living room combo and a large balcony you can eat on. It is perfect for a home base when visiting the reef. The hotel is situated on a hill about 2mins by taxi from the main street of Airlie beach. This is good and bad. Good since you are away from all the backpackers of Airlie Beach, bad that you need to take a $6.00 taxi to and from town for dinner and getting to get to your tour starting point. They do offer a shuttle to town, however it only runs on odd hours (9,11,1,3....) They have a beautiful infinity pool, with great drinks. Overall very pleased.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Qld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

We have just returned from 4 nights stay at Peppers in Airlie Beach and had a wonderful time. Our 1 bedroom apartment was spacious and well equipted which was serviced daily. Reception staff Danielle and Kurt were very helpful as were resturant staff. There's a shuttle bus that leaves every 2 hours starting around 9am to get you up and down the hill if you don't feel like walking. Otherwise a cab from town is no more than $10 which isn't to expensive.
The only small gripe I have is the size of the meals in the resturant. As delicious as the food was, the serves for dinner were small and myself and my husband did leave still feeling a little hungry. I'm not a big person and I did find myself still hungry afterwards.
Otherwise it was a fantastic time and we'll be looking to stay at more Peppers resorts in the future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

We stayed here for 8 nights and the first impression of the resort is look at the stunning view! However, to get that stunning view you will soon discover that you need to climb a huge hill! The resort does have a bus that goes into town every 2 hours but we always seemed to miss it!

The walk into town takes about 10 minutes and is mostly downhill but the walk home is not quite so pleasant. Would recommend catching a cab which cost around $6.

The apartment was very clean and modern with a great view. The only negative about the rooms was to tv reception in the lounge room and the fact that cable was only available in the lounge room and not on the tv in the bedroom.

The pool area is somewhat small for the amount of apartments with only approximately 10 chairs, so you need to be early if you want to get a chair for the day.

The restaurant was absolutely amazing and would recommend going. It was a little pricey but worth every cent. One of the best meals my Husband and i have ever had!

All in all a really good resort that we would stay at again if ever coming back to Airlie!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pembroke, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My 21-mth old daughter and I went to the Whitsundays for a few days of R&R. I would rate this Peppers hotel as average. I haven't stayed at a Peppers resort before so my review is based on other hotels with the same star rating.

When I checked in, the front desk staff asked if I could fix up the bill. I did, but then I thought that was odd because I thought I'd already paid in full when I booked online. Anyway, I had a cranky toddler and just went to the room. I received a call shortly thereafter to tell me I had already paid in full and they'd refund my credit card. They couldn't contact the manager for the password for the refund (???) so they asked if they could mail me a cheque. This is so silly. So, the duty manager or supervisor of the day can't have this password?? In the end, they finally did get hold of the manager and my card was refunded. Partly my fault as I should've said something initially.

I booked an ocean view room in a quiet area with a cot. The view was average, a small bay area, and no cot in the room. I asked for another room with a view; the front desk staff said they gave us that room because it was likely the quietest room available. Fair enough. I said I'd try the other room anyway. Shortly after arriving in the other room, the front desk called to let me know the microwave didn't work in that room. So back we went to the first room. There are no bell boys or luggage carts in this hotel, which really should be changed. It was not fun moving all the luggage with a toddler because it involved driving to the new room and back. That being said, the staff (Jillian, Kurt) were wonderful and helped with our bags. We went out for a bit that evening and when we came back, I found $50 worth of food vouchers under the door for the room inconvenience. Very much appreciated. The room we finally stayed in was not overly quiet; it overlooked the garbage area so garbage trucks arrived at 7am and staff bring garbage there throughout the day. It also overlooks Whitsunday Drive, which is a pretty steep hill; cars must rev pretty hard to get up the hill so that was a bit of an issue.

We stayed in a 1-bdrm suite which was spacious enough for the two of us. The ensuite bthrm was huge, the biggest jetted tub I've ever seen! The room design is very puzzling. The bthrm doors are tempered glass, so the light shines right into the bdrm. Not great. I used the runners from the end of the bed to block the light. There's only one light switch in the bthrm, for the tub, toilet, and shower, and no dimmer. So at night, you can't turn the light on because the light goes right into the bdrm. Housekeeping staff told me all the rooms are designed this way. The toilet and shower lights were burnt out; I chose not to have the bulbs replaced due to the light.

Tides Restaurant is pretty good. The food is quite tasty and good size portions. It's a bit pricey but on par with other hotels I'm guessing. Kids' meals are $16 which is too expensive in my opinion.

I think it's a good hotel but not well-suited for us. I think we'd stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

It appears to be hanging on this side of a hill but wow what a view!

The stunning open air (under cover) reception, restaurant and bar gives the first hint of the casualness of this resort. The staff are warm and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. They're quietly attentive around the pool and lounge area, whilst not being intrusive. There was a good choice on the menu and the food was great. The only small problem was squeezing through the bar to get to the restaurant.

The apartments are beautifully appointed and the view from our apartment was magnificient particularly early in the morning. The huge balconies and bifold doors make the apartments seem much larger and are perfect for relaxing with a drink and a book.

And for a special treat I finished off my break with a relaxing treatment at the endota day spa.

The resort is just out of town but within walking distance or a quick bus ride. Couldn't find anything to fault. Just a shame I wasn't there for a romantic break because it would have been perfect.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Our stay at Peppers didn't get off to a good start. We transferred from Proserpine Airport on a Whitsunday Transit coach. Due to the size of the bus, we were dropped off at the bottom of the hill – the driver phoned the resort when we were about 3 minutes away to let them know we were being dropped off, however we waited nearly 10 minutes in the hot sun and nobody from the resort came down to collect us! We had to haul our luggage up the extremely steep road to the resort reception – I was not in a good mood by the time we checked in!

A tip: Whitsunday Shuttles operate smaller minivans and they will drop you off at the reception area of the hillside resorts, rather than at the bottom of the steep driveways.

Peppers is in a good location, however the complex could have been better designed. There is a building right in front of the restaurant and pool, so the bay views are over a rooftop. The Port of Airlie construction site on the foreshore doesn't really distract from the view, and we didn't encounter any noise either.

Unless you are staying in the building behind the restaurant (‘Armit’), or in the building directly in front of the restaurant (‘Dungarra’), you have another steep hill to climb to reach your apartment. The first floor of Armit is level with the reception/restaurant rooftop, so ask for a room on level 2 or 3 if you want a better view.

The apartment was smaller than most 2 bedroom apartments we have stayed in previously. Very compact kitchen, lounge and dining area – but the bedrooms are spacious and have everything you need, right down to bathrobes. The spa tub in the master ensuite is huge, and takes up most of the bathroom. The kitchen was well equipped, and there was even a small packet of Vittoria coffee for the plunger, which was a nice touch.

The TV in the lounge area was cable channels only (mainly sport), and the TV in the master bedroom was free to air channels. There is an iPod dock too.

A compendium detailing restaurant hours/menu, resort information and local phone numbers etc. would have been handy.

The pool area is lovely, well maintained, and pool towels are provided. It’s only quite small, however most people are out all day so it would not be often that the 10 or so chairs are all being used.

The restaurant is al fresco, and the water feature adds to the ambience. Staff were very attentive and friendly. Prices were quite reasonable, but portion size was on the small side. The chefs did a great job baking the coral trout caught on my husband's fishing charter, but expect to pay $35 for this, in addition to the entrees, desserts, drinks etc. you purchase at the restaurant.

There is a shuttle bus which goes into town every 2 hours from 9am, with the last one at 7pm. However, if you want to go to Whitsunday Shopping Centre for groceries , you will have to catch a cab. Having said that, if the staff are heading that way, they don’t mind dropping you off, but won’t make a special trip.

Staff at reception booked numerous tours for us (which I have reviewed separately), and promptly fixed a couple of minor maintenance issues in our room. Our request for a late checkout was also accommodated, and this made our last day so much easier – relaxing by the pool.

Peppers isn’t as close to town as many other resorts, but it is in a very quiet location and most of the tour operators pick up/drop off at the resort, so you don’t really need a car.

Airlie is a great spot to be able to choose from a multitude of tour operators - leaving from Able Point or Shute Harbour. We did a floatplane day trip to Hayman Island with Air Whitsunday, visited the Reef, Whitehaven and Daydream Island with Cruise Whitsundays and my husband enjoyed a fishing charter on Jillian 2. Definitely worth staying on the mainland to have so many choices!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family