“Oldish but comfy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of at Boathaven Spa Resort

You added at Boathaven Spa Resort to your Saves list
at Boathaven Spa Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   440 Shute Harbour Road, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Oldish but comfy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This resort was about 15 minutes out of town, and in it's time would have been a top class accommodation.. It is a it dated now but clean and comfy. The pool is well maintained and in quite pleasant surroundings.

The managers at the resort went out of their way twice during our stay to provide us with services that were not part of the usual for the resort. for which we were extremely grateful.

The resory is well situated for public transport and easy access to the Ferry and Sea tours Harbour. an enjoyable experience. at a 'Deal price through the internet.

We would revisit Boathaven for future stays in Airlie Beach

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We booked a studio - our room was clean with a small balcony overlooking the pool and the main road. If you are on foot, it's close to the shops and not as steep a climb as other properties
Our kitchenette ticked all the boxes - microwave, small bar fridge, chopping board and coffee plunger however chux wipe would have been handy to wipe up spills.
The communal BBQ, spa and pool were all good.
The gymnasium was a waste of time. Dated and poorly maintained equipment. The treadmill needs replacing. The room could do with a daily airing - the room has a closed up dusky smell to it.
The girl at the front desk could be a little more "welcomming" The impression you get is that life is a tad boring and scant relevant information was offered.
If you need transit to an island - get hold of a bus timetable - a few buses do go via the Abel Marina and for only $2.70

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I bought a voucher from http://deals.com.au website for this resort. I was very excited to see such a nice deal for the things offered but excitement didn't last long. Before i mention the bad things, here are the things that i liked:

1) Onsite covered parking was very handy.

2) The pool was very nice.

3) Spa was actually very good.

4) It was very quiet.

5) Reception gave me all the information i asked for.

Now this is what i didn't like:

1) The voucher included a pool side room but i upgraded to spa suite. The upgraded room i got was 9(A/B, don't exactly remember). The difference on the website was 40$ per night but i was charged 55$ per night. I asked about this difference and i was told that it's because I didn't pay the "full" price. As a business that explanation might sound correct but as a customer I feel that I paid the asked price of the deal offered by the resort so i should have charged the advertised price as on the website.

2) Voucher mentioned some welcome drinks but we were told we will get them after 9 pm, would have been nicer if there was a bottle or nice wine or champagne in the fridge.

3) After paying that extra price i did not get what i paid for. The room was dirty. It looked clean because of the colour of the tiles. My son spilled some milk and i wiped it with white tissue which turned black because of all the dust on the floor. I went to the laundry to get a broom to clean the floor but the broom had dust all over its brush (see the picture attached) with some hair hanging of it.

4) We were told that the room is equipped with Washer and dryer but the dryer didn't work.

5) Kitchenette did not have any chopping board and Every utensil i used had to be cleaned because it had dust in it.

6) Chairs of the dining table were dirty with spots on them. One of the chairs of the dining table was broken, the seat was not actually attached to the chair frame.

7) The blue towels given to us had big white marks on them.

8) Blinds were very hard to pull up and bring down, some levers were not working so certainly require maintenance.

I wish i had taken more pictures but I hope the management can verify these facts themselves and perform a random check of the rooms to confirm if they are being cleaned by the employees or not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
29turtles, General Manager at at Boathaven Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Thank you for the response.
Regarding your upgrade issue and being charged $55.00 to upgrade instead of $40.00.
You called prior and requested to upgrade your package as you wanted extra space for your child and were advised of the upgrade fee. You then called back to advise that the fee on the website is only $40.00 difference and we had quoted you $55.00 . At that time we explained that we are not required to upgrade the special deal that your on which was less than 1/2 price, (specifically for a Poolside Suite) and that the Bayside Spa suite was NOT included in the special. However, if you would like to upgrade then we would offer you a special upgrade fee of $55.00 instead of the $100+ per day which is what the actual price difference was.
When you checked in you disputed the upgrade fee again, like we had forced you to upgrade, and acted like you had never heard of the explanation. You actually told the receptionist that you were told something different when you made the booking.
At check out you refuted the upgrade fee again and I happened to be handling the check out and advised you that this had all been explained at which time you said AGAIN that you were unaware of the reasons why.
You then proceeded to call the resort a week after check out and dispute the upgrade fee to say you saw it on the website that it was only $40.00 and you were charged $55.00. When I explained to you that you had already been explained this 3 times you realised that it was me again and you acted like that you finally understood and appologised.
I am not being rude but I am also not having someone claim that we tried to scam them or have done something wrong when they were advised on more than 3 seperate occasions of the policy and the reasoning behind it. The Bayside Spa Suite is not part of the deal you were on and you had already been given a FREE upgrade to the Poolside Suite from a Bayside Studio which is also stated on your deal voucher.
To put it in another way it's like getting a hugely discounted airfare and then asking for an upgrade to first class and only expecting to pay the difference of what all the full price paying fares would have paid.
I appreciate that you would prefer a bottle of wine but the deal was for "First Drinks on Us at Phoenix Bar", which is an after dinner bar. This option may not suit your needs but that is what the package was.
If you actually felt your room was dirty or you were missing things, then why when you were in the office everyday asking for more tea, garbage bags, and other items did you not mention that you were not satisfied? We would have sent someone up to sort any issues out right away.
Posting your complaint after you depart does not allow the resort to solve any of your issues and I wonder how much of this has to do with the price difference in the upgrade fee and your actual issues with the resort.
I am sorry about the bluntness of this response but when the complaint is just completely false and due to the nature of the website we can do nothing about it, then I have to respond more sternly than usual to get our point accross that this is completely untrue
Kind regards,
Kelli Medford
General Manager & Director
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

If you want accommodation close to Airlie, but not right in the middle of the town then this place is great.
We had a 1bed room with the spa on the balcony which was lovely. Sea views aren't particularly great as another hotel has been built obscuring the view, but the accommodation was very good, clean, everything you need.
Top tip...try the Thai restaurant at the ( i think its called Spicy) hotel next door! Oh only downside...the walls are quite thin.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Booked this through a deal website which gave a great discount on price advertised- for the price we paid, the room was very nice, but if I had paid the advertised price I would expect a lot more!

Room was spacious with small balcony and bathroom. Had a fridge and a microwave (a hob would have been a good addition), there was a good barbeque that could be used outside and a lovely pool. Small jacuzzi/hot tub was closed while we were there. The room was fairly basic and I think would be a bit snug if you had the advertised 3 people in it, however for 2 people there was plenty of space. Few ants around but was ok with this as unlikely this was the hotels fault, these things get in easily when room has a balcony.

As part of the deal we bought, we had a few inclusions, all of which let us down. We were advised we would receive a "gourmet" breakfast hamper- this included 4 yogurts, 2 muffins and 4 mini bags of muesli, not enough to do 2 people for 4 days. The advertised whitsunday cruise was a boat transfer to an island 20 mins off shore, and we were not given the free drinks which were included in our price.

Service was not great. When I asked about the whitsunday cruise I was given a brochure for 3 types of cruises which were not included in my package, all would have required me to pay extra. When I went back to reception to clarify this with the desk, I overheard one of the workers mutter 'oh, hear we go.....' under her breath- I was not rude to her at all previously, so understandably I thought this very rude behaviour! I wouldn't like to have heard what she had said if I had complained!

Overall as we had a deal I was happy enough with the stay but would not recommend paying full price.

Room Tip: Book a good deal!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
29turtles, General Manager at at Boathaven Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Hello AnnieMC,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the resort and the special deal you were on.
First I would like to say that at no time was the hot tub or spa ever closed during your stay. We have a light weight cover over the spa that prevents evaporation, keeps out any unwanted animals, and keeps the heat in the winter months. There is a sign on the wall that advises that all you need to do is roll back the cover to use the spa. The spa has been operational everyday for the last 12 months.
Regarding your package you were supposed to receive a gourmet breakfast hamper but it sounds as though you have received a continental daily hamper and I appologise for that. However, at anytime during your 4 night stay if you would have mentioned to the receptionist that you were not happy with your breakfast we would have realised our error and rectified it.
The brochure that was given to you was to show you about the islands that were available for you to visit. I gave you the brochure and explained that when I gave it to you that it was for you to have information on Daydream Island. Twice I explained the tour to you and twice you had requested other tours in that brochure that were not included in the package. I appologise about the confusion but I was not sure as to why you kept requesting alternative tours. The package clearly stated "includes a daytrip to Daydream Island Resort ".
As far as your complimentary drinks, we have the vouchers at reception for the "First drinks on us at Phoenix Bar" and just like the other inclusions, like the seafood platter, and day tour, all you needed to do was collect he vouchers from reception. The special deals.com website has worded the package a bit strange on the printed confirmations and it can look like the complimentary drinks are at Daydream Island, but they are not, they are definitly on the mainland.
Again I do appologise that the package was not explained to you correctly when you arrived and that you were not happy with the service at the resort. It is not normal for our guest to go away unhappy and unsatisfied with their stay so I am regretful that we did succeed with you.
Kind regards,
Kelli Medford
Resident Manager
Pula, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I booked this accom at the last minute and I was quite concerned, not sure what i would get but this place was great! The location was excellent, less than 5 mins walk to town, the staff were very helpful and the rooms were clean.. What more could we ask for? Thanks!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Its not a 5 star resort but we loved every minute of our stay, it was clean and tidy and great value for money. The staff were friendly and helpful, even going as far as organising any day trips we required. I would definetly recommend them if you are lookng for a good value for money place in a great location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple