I came across Airlie Beach in Queensland a couple of years ago on my way to somewhere else and loved it so much that I went no further. Perhaps the attached photos of a typical Airlie sunset will explain why.
Since then I've been back four other times and have stayed at the Sailz in Cannonvale once, the Coral Seas Resort once and the Mediterranesn Resorts on three other occasions.
The Sailz in inexpensive but pleasant enough and the Coral Seas is quite expensive but it seems a matter of luck wether you get a sea view room or not. Pricewise, the Mediterranean is somewhere between the two but the views are absolutely to die for. From our balcony chairs we could sit back and relax with a white wine overlooking the beautiful Pioneer Bay and a host of islands including, Hook, Hayman, Double Cone and Amrit Islands. Any photo I have seen does not do it justice. Also the Mediterranean is self contained which means that it has full kitchen and laundry facilities. This is a must for anyone staying in the tropics for any more than a few days as dining out all the time can be expensive and who wants to use one of those public laundaries on a regular basis.
On our last visit we travelled with friends and shared a three bedroom, two bathroom unit that gave us plenty of privacy and everyone had a sense of their own space.
Whilst in Airlie we went on a three island cruise on Fantasea Ferries - we especially loved Daydream Island and also took a cruise abord the Banana Winds catamaran yacht for a look at sunset from the water. It's every bit as good as the other writer reports and they do, in fact, give you champagne (included in the price of the trip) and keep it coming.
Some evenings we dined at home (the Mediterranean unit we were staying in) others, we ate out. Among our favourite spots were the Hogs Breath Cafe in Airlie Beach and Banjos Bar and Grill in Cannonvale. We loved Banjos so much we came back for dinner a few nights later.
I've now been to Airlie Beach five times in two years and I'm hoping to make it a sixth later this years. Again I will choose to stay at the Mediterranean Resorts for it's great views and its excellent facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mediterranean Resort offers affordable luxury in self contained 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas, honeymoon suites or a choice of 3 or 4 bedroom penthouses.The private balconies and spacious apartments offer unsurpassed views across the Coral Sea and the magnificent Whitsunday Islands.The resort facilities include 2 private saltwater pools both with outstanding views, a spa in which to refresh and all only 300m from the centre of Airlie Beach.The Whitsundays really is the epitome of Paradise, and Mediterranean Resorts is in the heart of it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Mediterranean Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranean Hotel Airlie Beach
- Mediterranean Resort Airlie Beach
- Mediterranean Resorts Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands