“Lovely hostel with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Backpackers by the Bay to your Saves list
Backpackers by the Bay
12 Hermitage Drive, Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia   |
“Lovely hostel with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend in a private double room for 1 night in August 2012. Our stay was a very pleasant one- we had a free pickup directly from the bus station (ironically by a fella who was also from northern Ireland)

Prices were a little steep, at $70 for a private room, but we did have a gorgeous view and hammocks right outside our French doors!

We had to pay to leave our bags whilst on the whitsundays trip, which I know other hostels let you leave them there for free if you book with them, but it wasn't too expensive.

Wifi connection was good, and yes it was turned off at 7pm, but they're an Eco-hostel! We're saving the planet one Facebook status at a time!

Communal areas were clean and looked homely, although it was fairly quiet when we were there- their winter I suppose.

About 5-10min walk from the main part of town- nice because it's quiet rather than in the centre of the bars etc.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay in backpackers by the bay- I Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place was ok for a couple of nights prior to our Whitsundays trip, but nothing more. The rooms and the communal areas were clean enough, but in places it felt a little tired. As an example most of the locks on the shower doors in the mens bathroom were broken.

It’s already been mentioned in some of the other review, but the free wifi advertised on their leaflet is only available until 7.00pm after which the internet is turned off. There is an onsite bar, but this wasn’t open during the two nights we stayed at the hostel. There was also no quiz or outdoor movie either despite signs everywhere advertising numerous activities. This all led to a bit being a bit dull come the evenings. Maybe at other times of the year, or when the hostel is busier, things are different?

Overall we were a bit disappointed, especially as it was one of the more expensive hostels we have stayed in during out time in Aus so far.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
wexford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I'd recommend this hostel to anyone who wants a nice chilled out atmosphere. The location is good. About 10 minute walk from centre and that's not a bad thing as it's more relaxed than the centre. Staff are friendly and helpful. All in all a big thumbs up.

• Stayed July 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Clean, quiet, comfortable, free wi-fi, free bus stop pick up, what else do you need? the staff were really friendly, we were in a 4 share dorm but it was just the two of us in there for the whole time we stayed. The bathroom was the cleanest hostel bathroom i've seen, and so was the kitchen. The facilities were great, you find most hostel kitchens have broken appliances but it all worked great. The garden at the front was lovely, the hammocks are a nice touch and the pool looked lovely. Beautiful location, staff and facilities. Stay here!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at Backpackers by the Bay when arriving in Airlie to find work. The staff were amazingly friendly and made me feel right at home. The rooms are all 4 bed dorms and very comfy. The communal areas are very social and there's a good amount of outdoor space to lie by the pool or BBQ under the Queensland sun.
They play a movie on their outdoor sofa every night which I found was a good way to meet people. Good proximity to the main street and they offer a bus service to collect you fom the coach station.
The hostel is a little dated, but clean and well equipt therefor I can not fault them in anyway.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I recently stayed at Backpackers by the Bay (BbB) on a trip sailing the Whitsunday's. I attended only to stay one night as it was my first time staying in a hostel and I wasn't sure I would like it. I have to say that BbB has converted me to hostels and I ended up staying both before and after my sailing trip.
This place is a haven for travellers and perfect if, like me, you want to make friends, have a great time, but not have a constant party going on outside your room. BbB is set slightly further away from the other hostels in Airlie Beach but is only a 5/10 minute walk from the main 'drag' - I found this a huge advantage. The staff were all amazing, friendly and really made my stay - the bar is the best social spot in Airlie Beach!
The Whitsunday's really is paradise and as for BbB, it was clean, quiet, the wifi is free, the staff treat you like friends and you have hammocks where you can snooze overlooking the sea - what more could you want.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

This hostel and it's staff are true gems, and it's the best place I've stayed in Queensland. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. All the staff are really friendly and the place is super clean. The garden, hammocks and barefoot bar are all wicked ideas that work wonderfully. If you're looking for a genuine chilled hostel, where there's some good banter over a few beers then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Backpackers by the Bay? Share your experiences!