“Very nice location - not expansive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magnums Backpackers

You added Magnums Backpackers to your Saves list
Magnums Backpackers
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   366 Shute Harbour Road | (PO Box 313), Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Ville d'Avray, near Paris
“Very nice location - not expansive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Very cool hostel, cheap rooms, even if you want it private or with ensuite bathroom.
Good point : if you book your trip at the Magnums agency, you get free nights of accomodation.
Weak point: linen is not provided

Don't forget to lock the door at night...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
biella
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I think I liked this place, in spite of the smallest kitchen ever and although I 'lost' there my new sunglasses (which I probably forgot at the bathroom and have been thrown away by the cleaning lady - no use for everyone else, since they had prescriptions. At least the staff was helpful and symptathetic about that).
We checked in quite late, the first double room they gave us was awfully smelly, we complained and they moved us in other one. THe room was nice, small and essential, but with air conditioning. I loved the verandas and the fact all the houses with dorms and rooms seem to be among the rainforest. Toilets are ok. Location is great, in the middle of everything, with nice on-spot restaurant and bar.
The tour desk was helpful and friendly too.
Maybe dorms are not as nice and safe, but the overall atmosphere was really nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I read bad reviews before I stayed here but decided to book it regardless. Worst mistake of my trip, worst hostel I've stayed in!! This hostel is dirty, noisy, and has no security whatsoever! Random people can in and out of the room, parties went onto 6am in the rooms - dont stay here id you plan to sleep - at all - day or night! My clothes got ruined due to the dirt in the room, phones and ipods were stolen. Staff don't care!!! The best advise I'd give to any traveller coming to Whitsundays is - DO NOT STAY IN MAGNUMS HOSTEL!!!!! I will always regret staying here, it was that awful

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Me and partner stayed here for one night on the advice of a local tour operator, what a mistake that was. This place is a typical backpackers hostel, with young backpackers mainly populating its dorms and rooms which means if you are after a good nights sleep think again.

We had a double room which was tidy and I guess you could say it was clean although the bedding was stained with blood from mosi bites and goodness knows what else. The door didn't feel overly secure so we left the bags hidden and locked.

The shared bathrooms were filthy to the point where I couldn't bring myself to shower in there, instead I used the sea! The toilets were disgusting covered in ants and spiders and very big moths. There was also a frog sat in the shower when I went to inspect it and dragonflys flying about inside it!

The bar at the hostel is averagely priced and the entertainment was ok, Airlie is only small so we were only a short walk away from a nice restaurant and the marina to take us to the islands the next morning.

Luckily we were only there for one night although I would never stay here again Airlie beach is a great place to stay as a hop off to the Whitsunday Islands and the Reef.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Airlie Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Magnums Backpackers is the worst backpackers I've ever stayed!
My friend and I booked here for 3 nights. Everything seems fine in the beginning. However, in the 2nd night, I can't believe that 8 strangers HAD A PARTY in my share dorm. They played card, drank and yelled from 9pm to 12pm. We try to find the reception but it was closed and the 24hr call didn't answer at all. Apparently, the rules and management here are just jokes!!

It's not the worst part. Next day morning, the reception waked us up and force us to move to double room. They claimed we booked the double room for 3rd night but WE DIDN"T!!!! The reception girl made the mistake but totally refuse to admit it!!! Call the manager? EVEN WORSE!! The manager is so unreasonble and rude. She didn't listen and interrupted us many times when we tried to speak. I can't believe the manager treated customers with this kind of bad attitude without getting fired!! The owner of the backpackers really hired the wrong persons!!!

Poor management, terrible service!!!!! NEVER COME!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I arrived in Arlie Beach by bus at 6.00am. I expected a courtesy bus to meet me at the bus stop and was disappointed to find that there wasn't so I had to walk to Magnums which took around 10mins. I was able to check in even that early. I had originally booked a dorm room but was able to change to a single room at a small extra charge. The room had a double bed which was very comfortable. There was a small fridge in the room also. The bathroom was very basic but fine. The laundry facilities were also located in the bathroom. The kitchen was tiny with very little cooking facilities. The luggage storage facilities were safe and secure. Magums is located in the centre of everything. All in all I was very pleased with my stay at Magnums

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I felt I just had to come on and tell everybody to stay well away from this hostel. The staff both in the bar and reception (especially in reception) have to be the rudest shower of people that I ever had the misfortune to encounter. They have so many airs and graces about themselves that you would swear that you are privileged to stay in the dump that they are working in. They seriously need to go on a PR course and start treating their customers with some sort of courtsey. The rooms were sub-standard and we actually had huge ants fighting to get in through our window. The bed sheets looked like they needed a good clean and the shower and bathroom facilities were totally unacceptable (again ants crawling up & down the sinks). I would advise anybody to stay well clear of this place. If any management from Magnums are reading this review I seriously urge you to change your reception staff as myself and my three friends were not the only ones would found them deplorable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends