I stayed here for 2 nights in August. I think I chose Magnum's because it had good ratings on Hostelworld, but I honestly have no idea why anyone rated it so well. Here's my experience: I had reserved an 8 bed room which was quoted at $19/night. However, my train arrived after 9pm and reception was closed. I was told that because of this I had to pay for a private room for the night which was $56/night. I honestly see no reason why if you arrive after reception is closed, that you can't check into a dorm room. My view is that it's another way to get more money out of you. If a manager is reading this and has a legitimate reason, I would love to hear it. I called the number on the reception desk and a security guard came to let me in. By the way, normally you have to pay a $10 fee for them to let you in, however he didn't charge me because I waited half an hour for him to get there.
So the next morning I switched to a dorm room so I wouldn't have to pay $56 for another night. They charged me $22 for the dorm room. I asked why it wasn't the $19 I was quoted and they responsed that that was only for those staying 2 consecutive nights in a dorm. Are you kidding me?!
My friend stayed at Beaches Backpackers next door for $17/night and said it was great. I also visited a friend at Nomad's Backpackers which is 3 minutes walk down the street. Nomad's was incredibly clean, with big rooms, and a pool. Stay at Beaches or Nomads, Magnum's is terrible compared to them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Whitsundays!!Magnums is a tropical oasis in the middle of the excitement of Airlie Beach. Relax in our beautiful settings or take the short stroll to the famous Airlie Beach Lagoon, Abel Point Marina or Port of Airlie. Magnums is an “over 18 years only” budget holiday retreat in the heart of the beautiful Whitsundays.No need for a cab - Magnums is within walking distance of all the fantastic restaurants, pubs and nightclubs Airlie beach has to offer.Our affordable accommodation styles include dorm rooms, deluxe cabins and private rooms which are all surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. All of our rooms have air-conditioning and ceiling fans for your comfort. Professionally cleaned linen is provided and our rooms are cleaned daily by our friendly in-house housekeeping team. Magnums’ facilities include a fully equipped shared kitchen and undercover eating area, coin operated washing machines in our laundry, free security deposit service for your security and a free WiFi area, all for your convenience.Our new kitchen/recreation room is now open! We have a 51 inch Plasma TV, games and free Wifi - so it is the perfect indoor entertainment area for your enjoyment. Get some friends together or make some new ones and enjoy a game of volleyball on our sun-filled volleyball court.Want to venture out on a daytrip or an overnight sailing adventure and discover what the Whitsundays has to offer? Magnums has a fully accredited tour desk within our reception area with a large range of tours and activities at very competitive prices. Come and discover Magnums – you will be surprised! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, HostelBookers, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Magnums Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnums Backpackers Hotel Airlie Beach
- Magnums Backpackers Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands