“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnums Backpackers

You added Magnums Backpackers to your Saves list
Magnums Backpackers
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   366 Shute Harbour Road | (PO Box 313), Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Sydney, Australia
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in August. I think I chose Magnum's because it had good ratings on Hostelworld, but I honestly have no idea why anyone rated it so well. Here's my experience: I had reserved an 8 bed room which was quoted at $19/night. However, my train arrived after 9pm and reception was closed. I was told that because of this I had to pay for a private room for the night which was $56/night. I honestly see no reason why if you arrive after reception is closed, that you can't check into a dorm room. My view is that it's another way to get more money out of you. If a manager is reading this and has a legitimate reason, I would love to hear it. I called the number on the reception desk and a security guard came to let me in. By the way, normally you have to pay a $10 fee for them to let you in, however he didn't charge me because I waited half an hour for him to get there.

So the next morning I switched to a dorm room so I wouldn't have to pay $56 for another night. They charged me $22 for the dorm room. I asked why it wasn't the $19 I was quoted and they responsed that that was only for those staying 2 consecutive nights in a dorm. Are you kidding me?!

My friend stayed at Beaches Backpackers next door for $17/night and said it was great. I also visited a friend at Nomad's Backpackers which is 3 minutes walk down the street. Nomad's was incredibly clean, with big rooms, and a pool. Stay at Beaches or Nomads, Magnum's is terrible compared to them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Hi Adam

We are genuinely grateful when people take the time to review us however we would love to have the opportunity to address your issues while you were staying with us - I hope the following information does address your issues:

When we close at 9.00 each evening we contract a security provider to check our guests in for us, these security providers do not have access to the computers and so they are allocated any vacant private rooms, this practice was introduced for other guests’ safety and comfort. These terms and conditions are posted clearly on ALL booking channels including Hostelworld (quoted by you). This practice has probably cost Magnums revenue but we are conscious that our guests comfort and safety are paramount.

We love to offer 2 consecutive nights for the discounted price and have done this for many years, single night stays are generally more expensive whether you stay in a 5 star establishment or a good ol’ backpackers!

Magnums has many discounted accommodation offers as well as free accommodation to all guest booking their overnight sailing with us, we monitor other operators rates closely and I can assure you that we will continue to offer the best value in town.

Adam, take care on your travels, enjoy the rest of Australia, and please do not hesitate to check out our website www.magnums.com.au if you are looking for any further information on rates and conditions, there are not many but they are very clear and concise.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at magnums two nights before we set sail the whitsundays, the hostel is located in the centre of the main road, it provides you with free Internet, we booked our trip via them so we also recieved a free nights accommodation and free luggage storage, they have deals on food and a bar located at the front! Everything you need in one place, the rooms and communal showers were also clean and pleasant to use.

• Stayed August 2012
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your review!
We love our location – we are the most central backpacker resort in Airlie Beach.
We are glad you found our rooms and communal showers a pleasure to use – we have great housekeepers who take pride in their work (they love receiving fantastic reviews like this)!
We hope you enjoy the rest of trip!
Bentota, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

we stayed there for 3 nights, in a quiet double room in the middle of the silent nature. the room was not so big, but clean like the toilet and the bathroom.
the resturant-pub in front of the main street is really nice, good for party and meet new people.
try it!

Room Tip: choose the room in the back of the hostel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you!
We have had a busy year at Magnums making improvements and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us, thank you for letting us and others know!
Stay safe and send us some photos so we can post them on our site – we would love that!
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Magnums backpackers has been a highlight of my 7 week holiday. I stayed there for 4 nights at the end of June. I stayed in a single room for about $50 night and couldn't fault the room. Double bed, fridge, air con and fan(not that i needed it). Shared bathroom but only sharing with a few others so never had to wait and they were very clean. Rainforest setting is the best thing about it and although the backpackers is also a pub club it is surprisingly quiet(except for the drunks that stumble back at 3 in the morning but nothing some earplugs cant fix). The staff were also extremely friendly. Especially Becky who checked me in to Amy who organised my amazing tour. I'm not sure what the dorms are like but i would recommend anyone to stay in the double rooms. It is also very well located. 20 sec to beach and shops.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
We are thrilled to be able to play our part in your 7 week holiday and to be acknowledged as the highlight?…..WAHOOOOO!
Thank you for your feedback - we agree Becky and Amy are gems and just love hosting our guests.
Take care and safe travels.
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is not a hotel, once you remember that backpacker hostels are not hotels - you will learn to love them! This is probably one of the better designed hostel- with the rainforest at your door, and bungalow style accommodation - it almost makes you forget its a back packers. I stayed here 1 night on a quick drive (30 hours excluding the overnight stop) from Sydney to Cairns, and was not disappointed - my mate and I shared a private room with a bunk - and slept well (which is all you want from a backpackers). They had great entrainment out the front in the open pub area, it seemed quiet enough and was in the heart of Airlie. The price was reasonable as were the facilities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thanks Dajesta9!
Great that you enjoyed staying at our place - we are Airlie’s only custom designed backpackers so we are pleased you noticed the benefits!
30 hours driving? Not good - please take it easy and stay safe.
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Loved the design of the hostel being in a rainforest setting. We stayed quite far back in a private room and so far away from the bar so was quiet at night. Bathroom was generally clean but spiders sharing the shower with you was a bit off putting! Our room was clean but smelt very strongly of damp. My chest tightened as I have mild asthma so not great! We also had ants appear around our zipped coolbag, once we moved these to the fridge they soon went and cleaner came and mopped up straight away which was good. Drinks in the bar were quite expensive but good atmosphere. We ate out all the time, tried cooking pasta 1 night and it was a nightmare - really hot kitchgen and rubbish utensils. Other kitchen only had microwaves and no hobs. Needs a revamp with kitchens for backpackers. Luggage very secure, was happy about that!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback Amanda.
Tomorrow our brand new BBQ area gets installed with all new utensils - we love constructive feedback and always re-act!
Watch out for the new website and photos of the new area in a week or so!
Darwin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We rented one of the cabins for a long weekend. The mattresses are thin and not particularly comfy. I had a very sore back after 2 nights. At about 3 am they turn the sprinklers on and it hits the corrugated iron roof and sides LOUDLY. I bought ear plugs to counter this.
The pros to staying here is the location, right in the midst of everything. The restaurants on site especially Mamma's which have big serving sizes. I would stay here again If I was on a budget.

• Stayed May 2012
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.
We value your feedback regarding our mattresses. We do our best to offer a standard mattress to try to provide the best comfort for all our guests but we do understand that a mattress is a very personal preference and unfortunately we cannot always please everyone.
Our friendly management team are here to help with any issues our guests may have. In regards to your issue with the sprinklers – if this matter was brought to our attention we would have rectified the situation.

Been to Magnums Backpackers? Share your experiences!