“Good with not so good.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Whitsunday Terraces Resort

You added Whitsunday Terraces Resort to your Saves list
Whitsunday Terraces Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   5 Golden Orchid Drive, Airlie Beach, Queensland Q4802, Australia   |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Good with not so good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was a long term resident of Airlie Beach so I was familiar with Terraces when I booked to stay there. We had a function across the road so Terraces was convenient. The manager gave me a good rate and was considerate enough to put me on the lower block close to the function I was attending. Even though it was the lowest block, the view was still beautiful. I had a one bedroom apartment with 2 singles in the lounge area. Firstly, the linen was all very clean, the lounge suite, TV and dining setting all looked newish and in good condition. The floors were clean and the cleaners had obviously done the best they could. However, the bathroom was in very bad shape and the walls had a lot of paint coming away. There was dirt all over the ceiling and the kitchen was in desperate need of refurbishing. BUT, the shower was fabulous - great pressure and lots of hot water and the microwave and fridge were in good working order. There were plenty of utensils and reception was also kind enough to lend us an Iphone charger when we discovered we had left ours behind. BUT, the rubbish truck at 6am was a nuisance (not Terraces fault obviously) and the chap with the leafblower at 5am - same thing....grrrrr.....
Also, the young receptionist needs to be aware of what she can and can't do. I had to urgently send a fax or email which she said she could do (and it also states in the compendium that these services are available). However, once I was down there, the fax was not working, there was no scanner and the receptionist told me to 'just go down the street and ask in a shop'. Great.
The only other complaint is that confounded hill. It is steep and high and tiring. I got to the point where I would get everything in one go to avoid tackling the hill again!

Room Tip: Whatever you do, unless you have a car or are extremely fit, don't ask to be high up!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Parramatta, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really loved it here at the Whitsunday Terraces, it has cheap rates, friendly staff, nice rooms and a view you only see on postcards. We were placed on the higher part of the resort which we didn't mind because the higher you are, the better view of Airlie you've got. On check out I booked my dates at reception for Decemeber and can't wait to be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was travelling all over Australia and this resort was a highlight out of all the places i stayed. It was cheap, the rooms are big, the rooms are furnished and the balcony views are spectacular. We were lucky enough to have some good weather so we could enjoy the whole resort with the pool and relaxing views.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

There is good and bad here. The size of the rooms might qualify it for 4 star status, but not when the rooms haven't been renovated in over 30 years. To be fair, the view is amazing (even though the weather was terribly unkind to us), the pool looks nice and modern and we could get the free wi fi in our room, but the apartment itself (11A) was pretty terrible. Size-wise it is great but there was mould on the bathroom ceiling, broken light fittings, the sliding bathroom door had lost its runner so the whole thing swung inwards when you touched it, the fan in the main bedroom was unbalanced and so noisy it was unusable, there was a massive chunk out of the wall near the kids beds, the light in the fridge didn't work, the curtains were stained, loose wires were left protruding from the ceiling fan where a light fitting used to be. Those tiny ants were a constant problem and then we had a cockroach visit on the last night. Kids reported lots of bugs in the spa too. Based on past reviews, where the manager had pleaded to be advised of such things, I reported all of this to reception and not one thing was rectified during our 4 night stay. I asked whether there was an apartment in better condition and was told that no, they are pretty much all the same, and their sad state is due to them all being owned individually and the (tight) owners don't want to spend any money fixing them up. The kitchen was pretty sad.. wouldn't want to be relying on cooking a full meal on the electric hotplate - it took 25 minutes just to fry an egg and some bacon! There was just a space where the oven used to be. Lastly we had paid an extra $252 to have a 2BR apartment and our package was supposed to include bubbly on arrival. Neither of these was forthcoming and when I couldn't produce my proof of payment for the room upgrade I was told I would have to pay again and then argue it out with the manager when she returned from holidays. I declined to do this, and was eventually refunded the money when I returned home and located my receipt, but still not good enough. Would stay here again but only if the rooms are renovated and pest treated. If you can get this place cheaply, it is worth it for the view and location, but don't pay 4 star or even 3.5 star prices!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed a week here on a holiday deal,... the view was to die for, the tame cockatoos were adorable that flew to your balcony in the arvos.
Will agree the rooms could do with a little fresh up, abit old and tied looking. but the staff were amazing!
we had a ball and stayed a extra night.
would I stay there again? yep! but would ask for a updated nicer room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for a few nights ! The resort it self was a little outdated the rooms really really need an upgrade. We were told that the one bedroom apartments had full kitchens but were a bit upset when we got into the room and it was an electric cook top with a small portable oven! The bathroom was a great size but could do with a little paint and touch up. We were also told that there was a laundry in the actual apartment but again were confused as the laundry was in a totally different section. The location of this resort was perfect as there was heaps of cafes and resturants in walking distance . The view from the rooms were spectacular! Overall I suppose this place was average but the view and comfy bed made up for it !

• Stayed April 2013
gispypoint, Manager at Whitsunday Terraces Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi There,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your accommodation, could you please let me know if you booked through a agent or was it a direct booking so that it does not happen again. My staff know to inform guests that there are only kitchettes in all the units and there are no laundries in the rroms.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was happy from the moment i stepped foot on the property. I checked in at recpetion and was amazed by the view of the ocean, little did i know the view from my room was even better. I was stoked to here how cheap the accomodation was for how beautiful the apartment was. I had a kitchen, bathroom and a balcony with chairs to chill and watch the ocean. I didnt bother cook at all because i was metres away from town and everything else. The Terraces is a wonderful place and I'd say the best in Airlie.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends