“Next to perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Sea Resort

You added Coral Sea Resort to your Saves list
Coral Sea Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   25 Oceanview Ave, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Airlie Beach
“Next to perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

A very nice and exclusive hotel. We had a lovely room with sea view. Bathroom with bobble bath and separate shower. Breakfast was very good. A nice pool area with a friendly staff who offered us cold water several times during the time we spent by the pool.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed in a Coral Sea Spa Suite. And we loved EVERYTHING about it. Amazing view. Private hot tub (big enough for two people) on the veranda. Stylish yet fun nautical décor. Being able to open the bi-fold doors and enjoy an alfresco shower in the bathroom was also great. And best of all the room had one of the most comfortable beds we have EVER slept in! So comfortable that we took a photo of the tag so we can try and source one now that we're home! We ate downstairs at Clippers Restaurant a few times and always had a good experience. Great food, great ambience by the pool. Nice cocktails. Tasty pancakes at breakfast. Dessert platter was a hit. Definitely book the gazebo for a private dinner if you can - it was a great experience, and very pretty with all the fairy lights. Friendly staff. We enjoyed being able to say hello to the resort cat too because it reminded us of our pets at home. Easy walk to Airlie Beach main strip. Would stay here again and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Couples should definitely consider upgrading to one of the fabulous spa suites.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you we are all very pleased you enjoyed our hospitality. The King bed is manufactured here in Australia by AH Beard. I am able to have one exactly like it delivered to you door. Please email me directly for pricing and further details required re delivery.
Regards Greg
beiijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

stayed there for a few nights. nice and big room, big balcony. Location is also terrific, a few minutes' walk to anywhere: town, lagoon and cruise jetty. It is also the departing pier of Ocean rafting which we loved very much.

Room tip: go for the ocean view penthouse. the room itself worth a 5 star.
Downside: I agree with some of the reviews, some of the staff at the reception area have a straight face always. They don't smile back even when you smile to them. They don't react to "I am sorry", "Thank you" and any such words. They don't say "sorry" when they are obliged to. This applies to a guy and and a young lady at the reception area. The other elderly lady and the rest of the staff acted normal and helpful though.

Room Tip: ocean view penthouse
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Holt, Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

As a solo traveller you don't always get the best rooms or service but you do here! I was only here for a couple of nights and was happy with the room and the facilities. Very welcoming staff on reception and the restaurant was superb. Great location and to enjoy dinner whilst the sun sets over the bay is fantastic. A really nice property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This is a nice resort however given what you get I felt it was rather pricey, especially given it is starting to show its age. I won't say that it's out dated, but certainly the door is open and it's being handed it's hat. In our room some of the furniture was from another era, the taps in the shower were loose, the shower door did not close properly so the floor got soaked while you were showering, the tv channel programming did not match what was indicated in the in-room directory and the TV itself was mounted on the wall so low you could not lay down on the bed to see the whole screen, you had to sit up. There was also no restaurant menus, even the resorts own restaurant dine in menu was not there. There was no armchair in the room, just a desk chair at the desk and the door to the room does not auto lock when you close it. I hate that in a hotel/resort, it makes me feel like I'm staying in a cheap motel and wonder why I paid so much. Also the corridors echo badly and we were woken by other guests both mornings almost 2hrs before we wanted to get up.

I was also highly surprised to NOT see any environmental water saving signage in the bathroom or anywhere else in the room that I could see. Probably the first Australian accommodation I've been at in 30years of travel that didn't appear to be water wise.

However, the room and resort in general were very clean, the bed & pillows very comfortable, good shower pressure, the view (ask for an ocean view room) was very nice out over the pool deck and across the bay and the staff were warm and friendly and onsite under cover (but not secure) car parking was free.

Like I say this resort is aging but not enough to warrant a refurb just yet, though perhaps when it was all brand new $195 per night for an ocean view room might have been reasonable. Maybe they could take a leaf out of Jupiters Townsville's book and offer the older ageing rooms at a reduced price until, it's time for that looming refurbishment.

The resort is fairly central to everything in Airlie, which made getting around a breeze, and you were sheltered from the thumping music coming from all the night clubs in town that other properties high up on the hills suffer from, from time to time.

Be aware that the offer of 'free' breakfast does not include a full hot and cold buffet as I was expecting. My mistake, I read that breakfast was included but did not think to call ahead and check what was and was not included. The menu cards on the dinner tables suggest the tropical breakfast is normally $19.50 pp, I think the hot breakfast upgrade started at $13pp extra from recollection. This makes a full hot and cold breakfast price about $32.50. Seems very rich to me, I'd prefer to have had the option to not prepay for breakfast, reduce the room rate by $40.00 and be able to enjoy one of the many great local cafés or restaurants for a nice breakfast at half the price. But alas, the breakfast was included in the price with no option to remove it.

WiFi was another thing you have to pay yet more for and could not do using a browser connection. After 8hrs on the road, and finally getting to my room and needing to check business emails etc... The last thing I felt like doing was walking all the way back to reception to 'Buy' an internet code. So I didn't bother, I simply setup a personal hotspot on my iPhone and connected by iPad to that instead, using my free data limit from my phone carrier. WiFi these days is becoming increasingly a free option. If setup correctly it doesn't need to be costing the resort very much at all and could be used to increase the value proposition to their guests. One day they'll get it I suppose. I think everywhere else we stayed on this trip offered free wifi. Even our trip to Day Dream Island included free wifi everywhere on the island and we weren't even staying at their resort.

My overall assessment is that If you shop around you can easily pay much less and still have a great room, with a similar view, a comfortable bed, and a nice swimming pool elsewhere in Airlie Beach. Would I stay here again? It probably wouldn't be my first choice in Airlie. Next time I'll shop around a bit more first.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Coralsearesort, General Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for comments re your recent stay at the Coral Sea Resort. I advise the rooms you stayed, our Ocean View rooms, were recently fully renovated including all new furniture television and complete bathroom in 2012. The furniture you advise as dated is the deliberate choice of the hotel owners and is the style we want to present. I also advise correctly rated shower heads are installed and we feel it is common sense to conserve water in a dry continent, however in this region where water is quite abundant fortunately, guests may enjoy a longer shower if they choose.The tropical Breakfast has a good choice of items and is completely free includes, 3 fresh juices, 5 cereals, 4 breads and condiments, 5 fresh and compote fruits, dried fruits and nuts, cheeses, cold meats, yoghurts, croissants, boiled eggs freshly brewed tea and a self serve espresso coffee machine. Your choice to upgrade to a hot breakfast at $13.50 I continue to believe is good value.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed just before Christmas for four days and had a lovely time. Hotel is well situated and an easy walk into Airlie Beach along the boardwalk (only about 5 minutes) Pool area is lovely as is the restaurant. Staff were brilliant, not sure what some previous reviewers experienced but they could not have been more helpful from the reception staff to the cleaning staff.
Hotel itself is in my mind, relatively basic, but I wasn't there to spend much time in the room or reception. I would judge the Ocean View room as Ok, but the view brilliant. AC was pretty feeble.
In essence I feel the hotel could do with a bit of updating and tarting up a bit but this did not affect my stay.
Would I stay there again if I returned? ... not sure - would like to explore somewhere else but would have no objections if I needed to.
Did not eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast so unable to comment on that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

This Resort is a great place to spent a few days when visiting the Whitsunday islands. Rooms are spacious, the pool is big and there is Wifi everywhere (one hour free per day). Views are fantastic almost everywhere in the Hotel.

They offer Whitsunday rafting tours from the Hotel which is very convenient as you do not have to take a bus anywhere. The ferry terminal is 5 mins away by taxi. It is not recommendable to walk as the Hotel is up a steep hill.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Sea Resort? Share your experiences!