“A great place to get away from it all!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Sea Resort

You added Coral Sea Resort to your Saves list
Coral Sea Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   25 Oceanview Ave, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Airlie Beach
Sydney
“A great place to get away from it all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I found this resort on Trip Advisor and booked it based on the reviews - and I'm VERY glad I did! We had 8 very relaxing and enjoyable days here and I would highly recommend the Coral Sea Resort to anyone.

The hotel is located slightly out of town and right on a point, so the uninterrupted views out to the Whitsunday's are simply breathtaking!

Once again, based on reviews we requested a Coral Sea Suite - Room 213 and WOW! did it deliver. The views out to the islands were simply stunning and we loved the double hammock and outside spa on the balcony. The room above us - Room 223 would also be fantastic.

The location is perfect! A short stroll (5 minutes) into Airlie Beach town, which offers a good but small range of restaurants, cafes and shops.

I negotiated to have a full breakfast included in our deal and would strongly recommend doing this as you will not be disappointed with the excellent food. The room service menu is also very good (order the BLAT), which we enjoyed while watching the free movie channel.

The hotel room's are spacious (King size bed, living area with flat screen TV and a kitchenette with sink, microwave, kettle and fridge). The rooms have recently been refurbished (in the last week) but alas the bathrooms are starting to look very tired (this is the only gripe I have!).

The hotel staff were great - very friendly and helpful and the grounds/large swimming pool are kept immaculate!

I would recommend going out to the islands and snorkelling with Ocean Rafting, who leave from the Coral Sea Resort jetty at 9.30am each day (very handy!). You can book this trip from the hotel gift shop. We spoke to several locals and they said Ocean Rafting offer the best snorkelling sites out of all the companies due to the type of boats they have (ex rescue boats). We went to 2 x snorkel sites (both good with lots of coral and marine life) and then onto Whitehaven beach and Hill Inlet (stunning!) for lunch. We were back at the hotel by 4.30pm.

I would recommend eating at Mr Bones, Fish D'Vine and Easy Cafe (great coffee!) in Airlie (all less than 10 mins walk from the hotel. A sundown drink and dinner at Sorrento's (around the corner from the hotel) is also great but the real hidden treasure is Alain's ($10 cab ride from the hotel). You need to book ahead as it is only open Thurs-Sun and only has room for 20 people. The decor is quirky but it is definitely worth it. A fabulous 6 course degustation menu for only $85 and you can bring your own wine if you wish! Incredible food made with love by a wonderful Frenchman (Alain), who spent the bulk of his career working in fine dining restaurants in Sydney.

Both Coles and Woolworths supermarkets are located in Cannonvale (lovely 40mins walk along the coastline or a quick $10 cab ride). However, there is a local supermarket in Airlie Beach but it is more expensive.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Coral Sea Suite - Room 213 or 223 (incredible views, very romantic with double hammock and outdoor s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Coralsearesort, Manager at Coral Sea Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you , we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
ballarat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We spent 6 nights at this wonderful resort wishing it could be 6 weeks. An excellent location close to the main street, the lagoon and the marina. We cannot speak highly enough of the staff, from reception to hospitality and domestic staff, they were all fantastic. The room was lovely with beautiful views and well serviced each day. The restaurant was first class with amazing meals and great service.We look forward to returning to Coral Sea Resort as soon as possible.Thank You.Rob and Lorraine.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We spent two nights relaxing in this wonderful hotel before heading to the Whitsundays. Located a short stroll along the waterfront from the main street of Airlie Beach, the views are spectacular both day and night. We spent many hours relaxing by the pool. The helpful staff made us feel feel very welcome.

Room Tip: A view over the sea is preferrable.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here for my birthday in March with my boyfriend and my parents.
Great location, within easy walking distance to the main street, lagoon etc........
Unfortunately from the moment we set foot in the Whitsundays it rained and not just a little, it down poured. On arrival the staff were very friendly, as requested our rooms had were next to each other. The rooms were more then adequet, however there was a slight sewage smell (but we knew this was probably to do with the amount of rain they had experienced). Breakfast was included which was a continental breakfast so more then fine for brekkie. The pool was lovely but didn't get the chance to try it out, saw the gym which was quite small but perfectly fine for a hotel.............The hotel definately had the potential to be gorgeous but we just couldn't get the full picture with the weather. The only downside I would say was when we asked reception for tips on where to eat out, the girl behind the counter had a very strong accent and we asked her to repeat what she said, she must have thought we were taking the mickey as she was quite rude back. If I came back to the Whitsundays I would definately stay on Hamilton Island or try somewhere else, Airlie Beach was lovely but very much for backpackers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Milton, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Coral Sea Resort is an absolutely amazing resort. I was incredibly upset to be leaving this beautiful place! The staff are all so friendly... especially the red-headed lady downstairs, always warmly greeted us every morning as we departed our amazing bay view apartment down to the fantastically redesigned dining area.
Another awesome highlight was that the day we arrived at this magnificent resort they were getting brand-spanking new furniture put in, so our room was truly brand new! I love the 'chill-out' area with the little secluded lounges. Great decor! I would certainly love to come back up there with my boyfriend later this year, I just fell in love with it entirely!
The sun lounges were also very comfy and great to top up the tan in the warm, tropical Whitsunday sunshine!
The resort is in an optimum location, only a short, leisurely stroll from the main street of Airlie Beach and also the bus stop that can take you all the way to Proserpine if needed! The resort is also far enough away from the main street so you don't have to hear all the noise of the backpackers.
It is certainly worth your while to pay that bit extra to get the bay/ocean views... it is breathtakingly stunning!
The fact that the Coral Sea resort also has their own jetty was a plus. My family and I could book a day of ocean rafting right from the resort and depart from our own resort. The water sport options were also great, with jetskiis and light marine crafts moored at the Coral Sea's jetty.
The only negative thing i could say is that i am 5'9" and the shower heads were a little too short for me, even when adjusted.
I could go on reviewing this all day but I think I have provided sufficient information on how much i enjoyed my stay!
Thank-you to all the staff that manage and maintain the resort that gave me and my family the best holiday experience ever!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for Bay/Ocean View rooms... you will not be disappointed! See photo for evidence of my...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
rockhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Fantastic hotel- clean, friendly- awesome location, great view, absolute waterfront- good value compared to run down hotels such as the waters edge .

Stay at theCoral Sea. Gym is great, food lovely, and again such a great location

Room Tip: Ocean view over the pool or coral sea suites are the go
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two nights and would loved to have stayed longer. On arrival we were upgraded to a beautiful large room with amazing views of the pool, beach and Islands. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

This hotel is the perfect location for a wedding or a romantic break. You could just sit out in your balcony all day and never tire of the views.

The breakfasts were amazing but we were very disappointed with the meal we had in the restaurant. The ambiance was great but the food was only ordinary and very expensive.

When we were checking out the lady in reception was so helpful in giving us advice and checking if the roads up ahead were clear as there had been a few days of torrential rain.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and would return ourselves if in the area again.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the sea and islands are worth asking for.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Sea Resort? Share your experiences!