I found this resort on Trip Advisor and booked it based on the reviews - and I'm VERY glad I did! We had 8 very relaxing and enjoyable days here and I would highly recommend the Coral Sea Resort to anyone.
The hotel is located slightly out of town and right on a point, so the uninterrupted views out to the Whitsunday's are simply breathtaking!
Once again, based on reviews we requested a Coral Sea Suite - Room 213 and WOW! did it deliver. The views out to the islands were simply stunning and we loved the double hammock and outside spa on the balcony. The room above us - Room 223 would also be fantastic.
The location is perfect! A short stroll (5 minutes) into Airlie Beach town, which offers a good but small range of restaurants, cafes and shops.
I negotiated to have a full breakfast included in our deal and would strongly recommend doing this as you will not be disappointed with the excellent food. The room service menu is also very good (order the BLAT), which we enjoyed while watching the free movie channel.
The hotel room's are spacious (King size bed, living area with flat screen TV and a kitchenette with sink, microwave, kettle and fridge). The rooms have recently been refurbished (in the last week) but alas the bathrooms are starting to look very tired (this is the only gripe I have!).
The hotel staff were great - very friendly and helpful and the grounds/large swimming pool are kept immaculate!
I would recommend going out to the islands and snorkelling with Ocean Rafting, who leave from the Coral Sea Resort jetty at 9.30am each day (very handy!). You can book this trip from the hotel gift shop. We spoke to several locals and they said Ocean Rafting offer the best snorkelling sites out of all the companies due to the type of boats they have (ex rescue boats). We went to 2 x snorkel sites (both good with lots of coral and marine life) and then onto Whitehaven beach and Hill Inlet (stunning!) for lunch. We were back at the hotel by 4.30pm.
I would recommend eating at Mr Bones, Fish D'Vine and Easy Cafe (great coffee!) in Airlie (all less than 10 mins walk from the hotel. A sundown drink and dinner at Sorrento's (around the corner from the hotel) is also great but the real hidden treasure is Alain's ($10 cab ride from the hotel). You need to book ahead as it is only open Thurs-Sun and only has room for 20 people. The decor is quirky but it is definitely worth it. A fabulous 6 course degustation menu for only $85 and you can bring your own wine if you wish! Incredible food made with love by a wonderful Frenchman (Alain), who spent the bulk of his career working in fine dining restaurants in Sydney.
Both Coles and Woolworths supermarkets are located in Cannonvale (lovely 40mins walk along the coastline or a quick $10 cab ride). However, there is a local supermarket in Airlie Beach but it is more expensive.
Enjoy your stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Positioned on the absolute ocean front and just a short stroll via seaside boardwalk to the enchanting Airlie Beach resort village; with its relaxed atmosphere and collection of eclectic shops and cafes; lies the Coral Sea Resort. A stroll in the opposite direction crossing a separate boardwalk with the sea below is Abel Point Marina, your direct access to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Coral Sea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Sea Hotel Airlie Beach
- Coral Sea Airlie Beach
- Coral Sea Resort Hotel
- Coral Resort Sea
- Coral Sea Resort Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands