“Room was okay, shame about the rest.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Nomads Airlie Beach Backpackers

You added Nomads Airlie Beach Backpackers to your Saves list
Nomads Airlie Beach Backpackers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   354 Shute Harbour Road, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia   |
London, United Kingdom
“Room was okay, shame about the rest.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed in a 10 bed dorm, wasnt too bad stayed in worse places, room seemed clean enough didn't have trouble with the shower room as I hardly saw anyone from my dorm.
The kitchen was too small, completely packed and overcrowded was a good 2 hour wait to prepare and cook dinner so ended up going out. The staff seemed rude, called my friend a c*** because he was drunk and abit loud. Stupid gangster rap was being blasted out 24/7 which was unpleasant.
I think there's nicer places to stay in Airlie.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

I've spent the last 9 months travelling central and south America, new Zealand and Australia. I've also stayed in many hostels spanning the breadth of Europe in my backpacking life so I am well accustomed to hostel living and the degrees to which they can vary.
Nomads is one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had so far. It's not exactly dirty and it is very spacious, with the cabins being well spread out, so I will give you that. But the kitchen is horrendous! It's dirty, cramped and horrible to cook in and closes at 9 (??!). You have to rent a cup and cutlery from reception for $20. BUT above these, the worst thing about Nomads Airlie beach (and in my opinion, the most unacceptable) is that the staff are the rudest I have encountered in a long time. I dealt with 6 different people across 3 nights and all of them had a terrible attitude and didn't appear to know how to smile. They didnt seem to care about providing any level of customer service, were unwelcoming and did not provide much information about the hostel at check in.  When speaking to numerous other guests, all had the same experience.
This and the high cost simply mean that it's not worth the money. You'd be better off staying somewhere cheap, saving dosh, and knowing you're gonna get a bad experience.
I will never again stay at another Nomads.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay an extra night in Airlie Beach before we headed off on our Whitsundays tour. The location is great and also the hostel has a good vibe to it but the kitchen was filthy and had no utensils in it making cooking a nightmare and long slow process waiting for the one sharp knife and 3 frying pans to be finished with! We also were put in one of the older rooms at the back of the site. Pretty grotty rooms especially the bathrooms which could do with a clean. It is cheap to store you items whilst travelling and remember you are here to see the beautiful Whitsundays plus from what I've heard the other hostels in town are much worse!!

• Stayed April 2012
Exeter
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here the night before our whitsunday boat trip, we arrived to find a lot of comotion which turned out to be because a guy had found a tarantula in his mix dorm! and yes it turns out this was later my dorm. I wasnt too worried about a repeat as I was reassured by staff this was the first time that had happened in all the years they had worked there. The staff were really nice and friendly but i would not stay here again as the room was quite dirty and also the hostel is challet style and ours was at the back which was a bit creepy in the dark.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Was not impressed with Nomads. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm, creaky beds and filthy bathroom. The kitchen had an actual fly infestation, it was pretty nasty. Definitely a party hostel, we had a dorm right at the back of the property so noise wasn't an issue. The staff were rude (perhaps hungover), who knows but i was happy to leave.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Nomads, I look at you and see great things. Shared pool, cheap (er) drinks machines, well-thought-out hammocks and dorms modeled on millionaire’s beach huts. You are young; there is probably a great future ahead of you. Unfortunately, while I lined up to check out behind 60-odd of your blonde and bronzed clientele I could not help but dwell on all the ways that you had let me down. You’re understaffed, you charge a deposit for forks and spoons and you play rap music 24/7 through speakers disguised as rocks. SPEAKERS DISGUISED AS ROCKS? Did you just fundamentally misinterpret the meaning of rock music? If you had been playing something a little easier, such as The Rolling Stones (still on the same theme), I may have found it a little easier to stomach at 7 am. In any case, if you’re going to insist on pushing only one genre of music – does it really have to be rap? I love Eminem as much as the next middleclass white person that grew up in the 90s but I draw the line at AKs and hoes over my cornflakes. There was also a really big cockroach in the room. I didn't see it, but I heard that it was really big.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We camped here for 5 days over Easter. As it was the holiday period we had no choice to leave once booked in as everything else in town was booked out. The camp area was not maintained at all, overgrown and littered with debris. The toilets and showers were absolutely feral. Some of the shower/toilets had the locks broken off, others had no light, others again had mud and god knows what all over the floor, no toilet paper or paper strewn across the shower floor and no soap in the soap dispenser. I was unlucky enough to contract atheletes foot in these disgusting facilities despite wearing footwear at all times!
In 5 days I did not see one single staff member attend to the toilets or showers. Also the pool water felt and smelt awful, one I jumped in I regretted it, I doubt this area was maintained either. The staff were also stand-off-ish and unapproachable. They all looked pretty young and inexperienced.
One good thing i could say is that the bar served cheap coronas, $5 each!

Apart from that i would say avoid this establishment at all costs!!!!

Stayed April 2012

Been to Nomads Airlie Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!