“Will never return here again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar

Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar
Roundabout Building | Cnr Shute Harbour Rd & The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia
07 4946 6713
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 70 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Will never return here again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I am a local and hadn't eaten at Shipwrecked for over 12 months (previous experience here was average). However, I thought given time maybe something had changed so myself and partner chose this restaurant over the tried & proven Fish D'vine.

We were seated promptly and I asked our waitress a few questions on the freshness of the seafood. I was told it was all frozen (and I should have ordered a steak knowing this). However, I really wanted a nice Coral Trout, being my favorite fish so I ordered this and my partner ordered the Barramundi. We ordered a garlic bread for a starter, along with the salt & pepper squid. The garlic bread was under cooked and soggy but the salt & pepper squid was perfect and very enjoyable.

Our mains arrived - but not with the side order of chips that my partner requested - and I when I tried my Coral Trout I had a hard time sticking the fork into the fish!! It was dry and overcooked. I tried to find the nicer, softer pieces of fish to eat but these were few and far between. My partners Barramundi was nice (although not great) and we both shared his meal. When the waitress arrived to take the plates I advised her that the trout was overcooked and dry and that I couldn't eat it. She disappeared with the plate and around 10 minutes later another person came over with my plate to tell me the fish wasn't dry and proceeded to pull it apart with her fingers to show me. I asked her to try a piece that wasn't touched which she refused to do and after playing with the fish some more I advised that I wasn't going to pay the $40 for the fish that was unpalatable. She started arguing with me that the fish was perfect much to the shock of the other clientele dining in the restaurant - not to mention my horror and she stormed off. We decided to finish our wine, pass on any dessert as our evening out was pretty much ruined by this attitude most of all. We went to pay our bill and I reminder her that I wasn't going to pay for the worst Coral Trout I have ever eaten upon which she started arguing again. I asked her name and position within the restaurant only to be told that she is the owner! She eventually took the Trout off the bill and when I told her I was a local and that no one should be spoken to like this and called a liar, she then asked me to Never return to her restaurant again. Now there are always 2 sides to a story and the truth...but I will say that I never once raised my voice or abused this person in any way to warrant such a response. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone (unless it changes ownership) . It is over priced - especially when all the seafood is "freshly frozen". Do yourself a favour and visit Fish D'vine for fresh fish and great attitudes from staff.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
jules255060, Owner at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Absolute rubbish & probably libellous! This woman was rude from the start and seemed to have an agenda. The fact that she mentions another local restaurant twice gives a clue to her true motivation. This is personal and unfortunately this website has been used to denigrate our business. I have been in the hospitality business for over 25 years and would never behave this way and neither would our staff. This restaurant has been established for over 8 years and has been named as finalists in two catagories in the Qld. Restaurant & Catering Awards for Excellence.
Our staff got a standing ovation from the rest of our guests when this person left the premises. What does that tell you?

Dublin, Ireland
“Unless you are actually Shipwrecked and destitute, walk on by.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I visited with my girlfriend on Good Friday after a walk around the block looking at the various eateries on offer in the area. It was a toss up between Shipwrecked and Fish D'Vine, in retrospect we should have gone for Fish D'Vine, but it did give us a greater appreciation of the Fish D'Vine offering when we did eventually visit the next day.

Shipwrecked drew us in with a prominent location, good views and the fact that it is very well marketed in terms of signage, the menu and general look and feel. Unfortunately the service and food did not live up to the hype leaving us quite perpelexed at the menu's boast of Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban as clientele.

On arriving at the restaurant we were left waiting at the entrance for attention. By the time two staff had past us without a hint of acknowledgement we discussed leaving. We decided to give them 15 seconds more and after 10 a waitress approached us.

She enquired if we had made a booking, which we hadn't, although the restaurant did not seem particularly busy. We were asked to retire to the bar for a few moments while they prepared a table which was not a problem.

We were promptly seated at a table with a good view over the Esplanade and the evening was looking promising. We both selected the Penang curry which looked good on the menu and my girlfriend enquired if it contained coriander. The server responded that she had never been asked this before but did not offer to find out. She also 'encouraged' us to order either a starter or breads. I proceeded to order a half dozen oysters for us.

The oysters arrived quickly and were quite large and tasty. I didn't notice at first that we had only received one oyster fork. I only noticed this when I saw the waitress looking at my girlfriend eating an oyster with a table fork. This did not prompt the waitress to provide a second fork, only to give us a 'look'.

The curries followed and I can concur with what was mentioned below about the synthetic curry sauce overpowering the flavour of the seafood in the Penang Curry. The sauce seemed closer to Indian curry than Malay and the garnish on the rice was a little strange. Not only did it contain what seemed to be mustard seeds but also liberally applied instantly recgonisable fresh coriander.

When we had finished our meals and as our table was being cleared we asked if we could bring our wine to the next door bar and this along our experience of the bar man were the better points of the evening. The bar man had previously advised on good white wines but we opted for a Rose due to our choice of main. Our waitress moved our wine to the bar without fuss and we got a table with a great view over the small harbour and beach.

Once we had finished our wine we got up to leave. I approached the counter and requested our bill. I watched the items get typed into the till without thinking twice but the total did not tally with what I had already calculated in my head. In all my life as a paying restaurant goer I have not experienced what happened next. I have not seen this since dining with family in the late 80s to early 90s. The waitress did not give me the bill but rather held it herself and rattled off the line items to me. This along with the extraordinary total bill made me suspicious so I asked to see the bill myself.

After being handed the bill I noticed why the totals did not tally, a 10% public holiday surcharge had been added which had not previously been advised to us. I begrudgingly paid this without protest, as no doubt it was mentioned in small print on the menu, but this was effectively a generous tip the staff did not deserve for the level of service. I believe such a surcharge should be advised up front by a good restaurant, never mind the fact that patrons should be afforded an opportunity to peruse the bill before paying.

My advice is to avoid this establishment which seem to have concentrated too much on marketing and gimmicks and not enough on what matters. This is not a cheap restaurant but the offering is not even on par with what is a nearby mid-priced restaurant. The much more reasonable Fish D'Vine a short walk up the street puts it to shame in terms of value for money, quality, atmosphere and service.

Sydney
“Very Happy with Shipwrecked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Despite the bad reviews, we found this restaurant to be very good. Great view, great food and service. Maybe the others who wrote bad reviews went on a bad day. Husband said his Lobster was one of the best he has ever had. Coctails great.

“Overpriced, poor quality and poor...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010 via mobile

Overpriced, poor quality and poor service! I am amazed that they have the nerve to say "Nicole and Keith's favourite", if I were them I would insist the reference be removed. Apart from really poor meals, terrible service, and being over priced the location was ok, but then is so many other restaurants in Arlie. I was amazed to see a variety of shirts on offer and wonder whether some of the marketing should be replaced by concentrating on the important parts of a restaurant, the food. Stay away.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Very dissapointing across all aspects...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010 via mobile

Very dissapointing across all aspects. Waitresses were uninformed about menus, and appeared disinterested. One meal stoves 10 mins after others. The sea food curry contained 2 prawns, 2 rings of calamari, a bug and a few very small pieces of fish. The curry sauce completly obliterated any taste, and I suspect was a commercially produced product available in supermarkets. A rare steak was overcooked and was very hard. Frys were crunchy. The bill was incorrect and they became quite grumpy when this was highlighted. In summary overpriced, poor service, poor quality ingredients prepared with little creativity or skill. Would not return or recommend.
m