“Not as good as the menu suggests” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar

Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar
Roundabout Building | Cnr Shute Harbour Rd & The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia
07 4946 6713
Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 69 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not as good as the menu suggests”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We came here in january 2013 at the 3rd attempt, as the other 2 times it was shut during opening hours, maybe because the season was quiet. The menu looked lovely and there were a few things I would have liked to have tried. My wife got one of the specials that I cant quite remember (fish of some sort) and said it was lovely. I got the penang curry and it was awful. It was more like an indian buna. It didnt have much taste to it to be honest. They had the windows covered so we couldnt relly take in the views that we expected, again thought this was probably down to the fact that the weather earlier in the day wasnt very good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

abingdon
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great view from upstairs location overlooking beach. The food was really good and the serving staff were very friendly.

Visited February 2013
“Utterly disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are travelling through Australia on a fairly tight budget and we chose to eat here for a special night out, and based our choice on the reviews. So disappointed by our starter (raw scallops) we sent it back, both our mains were very over cooked and still had to pay over $100 for a meal that I could have cooked better myself. The staff were accommodating but overall the food was just not up to scratch.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Summer in the tropics...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Went to this restaurant for lunch today drawn in by the large advertisments of self promotion at the entrance. We were served promptly, drink orders taken and menus dispatched, we were the only patrons lunch time Saturday.
My husband ordered the oysters kilpatrick and the special of the day, reef fish,parmesan crumb, chips and salad. I ordered the parmesan black pepper bread and the seafood tasting plate.
The oysters and bread arrived promptly, both were delicious.
Plates were cleared and the mains arrived 5 minutes later. The special fish had spent too long in the deep fryer and was dry and unappetising. The chips were fine as was the salad.
The tasting plate had 4 little pots on it, 3 prawns in a singapore chilli sauce, two pieces of salt and pepper calamari , a pot of barramundi pieces, (4 or 5 cubes) and a pot of fish and prawn dumplings. For some reason everything on the tasting plate was a bit bland but the dumplings really stood out... These were a truly awful grey looking stodgy ball of something fishy coved in a combat green sauce.
So we sat there sweating bullets as you do on a typical february day in the tropics and I thought to myself this is winter food.... all chilli and dumplings. There were no salads or cold items on the menu to choose from at lunch time however I think there may be at dinner time.
I thought the prices were fair for the location but the restaurant needs some love. Its dark and in desperate need of a refurb, and if it was my place I would introduce a a seasonal menu to better reflect the climate. What I would have given for a cold lobster salad and a glass of icy cold chardonnay.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
smuts22, Manager at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
No salads? How about the Salt & Pepper Squid salad, or the salad that comes with the Singapore Prawns or with the barramundi? There's five different brands of ice cold chardonnay on the menu too, by the glass or bottle, and perhaps it was a dull day but we don't see how it could be dark when you're sitting on the deck at lunchtime.
The dumplings are poached not fried and are made from minced fish and prawns with peppercorns, garlic, ginger & soy served with a mild Thai style green curry "combat" sauce.
“Very average, don't waste your tome there.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I am not going there again. Tried, got disappointed. There are other places in town that put more effort to showcase their menu, food and good service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere