“Summer in the tropics...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar

Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar
Roundabout Building | Cnr Shute Harbour Rd & The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia
07 4946 6713
Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 78 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Summer in the tropics...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Went to this restaurant for lunch today drawn in by the large advertisments of self promotion at the entrance. We were served promptly, drink orders taken and menus dispatched, we were the only patrons lunch time Saturday.
My husband ordered the oysters kilpatrick and the special of the day, reef fish,parmesan crumb, chips and salad. I ordered the parmesan black pepper bread and the seafood tasting plate.
The oysters and bread arrived promptly, both were delicious.
Plates were cleared and the mains arrived 5 minutes later. The special fish had spent too long in the deep fryer and was dry and unappetising. The chips were fine as was the salad.
The tasting plate had 4 little pots on it, 3 prawns in a singapore chilli sauce, two pieces of salt and pepper calamari , a pot of barramundi pieces, (4 or 5 cubes) and a pot of fish and prawn dumplings. For some reason everything on the tasting plate was a bit bland but the dumplings really stood out... These were a truly awful grey looking stodgy ball of something fishy coved in a combat green sauce.
So we sat there sweating bullets as you do on a typical february day in the tropics and I thought to myself this is winter food.... all chilli and dumplings. There were no salads or cold items on the menu to choose from at lunch time however I think there may be at dinner time.
I thought the prices were fair for the location but the restaurant needs some love. Its dark and in desperate need of a refurb, and if it was my place I would introduce a a seasonal menu to better reflect the climate. What I would have given for a cold lobster salad and a glass of icy cold chardonnay.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
smuts22, Manager at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
No salads? How about the Salt & Pepper Squid salad, or the salad that comes with the Singapore Prawns or with the barramundi? There's five different brands of ice cold chardonnay on the menu too, by the glass or bottle, and perhaps it was a dull day but we don't see how it could be dark when you're sitting on the deck at lunchtime.
The dumplings are poached not fried and are made from minced fish and prawns with peppercorns, garlic, ginger & soy served with a mild Thai style green curry "combat" sauce.

“Very average, don't waste your tome there.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I am not going there again. Tried, got disappointed. There are other places in town that put more effort to showcase their menu, food and good service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Pooring down with rain, we find a sign for shipwrecked, we come in at perfect happy hour cocktails, with 2 mins to go we order 6 cocktails for me and my partner, they dont make a fuss, put extra alcohol in for us. We ordered reef and beef and shanks it was the so amazing, only took 10 mins. They gave us complementary garlic bread and chips. very friendly and good prices and great view. Gave a 10 dollar tip for the first time in my life.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Two visits two great meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We visited last year and just had to return, first visit we had the seafood platter which was huge and very tasty, second visit my wife had the mussels and I had the reef and beef with the seafood, both meals were fresh an hot, the service was good and the staff were very friendly, my only complaint was the price of the wine per bottle but that is jus me being picky, otherwise couldn't fault the place will definitely be returning.

Brisbane, Australia
“Sensational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very nice food great outlook too although the decor is a bit dated. We went to Shipwrecked twice as we enjoyed it so much the first time. If you are into your seafood this is the place to go on Airlie Beach - we were recommended Shipwrecked by a friend and very glad we knew about it!
The staff were great very efficient! The only downside was I did not want the creamy sauce on the snapper I had and had to ask for a piece of lemon to squeeze over the fish instead it should have been on the plate anyway. Would certainly eat here again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere