“Great Location, Dreadful Service and Food” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar

Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar
Roundabout Building | Cnr Shute Harbour Rd & The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Queensland 4802, Australia
07 4946 6713
Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 78 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Cannonvale, Australia
“Great Location, Dreadful Service and Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Writing this in the cold light of day more than a year since I visited shipwrecked, It still stands out as the worst seafood I've ever eaten, combined with service that could use some serious improvements and nicely topped off with a long wait. The kind of restaurant where you a simply happy you have your food after waiting for an hour, where the staff don't ask you if everything is fine - they just come at take your plates away because the know better than to ask.

For a seafood restaurant the "over cooked to the point of being dried out tuna steak" I ordered was nothing short disgraceful. The excellent location of this place is I'm certain what keeps it in business, if you are a tourist passing through town, heed my advice and avoid being shipwrecked

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Broadbeach, Australia
“Amazing Seafood and Great Views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Shipwrecked has been in Airlie for a while, I remember visiting years ago. They are still fantastic!
A great cocktail menu to start with while waiting for an outside table, but not long to wait even though we didn't have a reservation. Lucky us!
Fantastic atmosphere with all the nautical decorations, and helpful attentive staff.
The oysters kilpatrick are absolutely out of this world! We were blown away by the obvious freshness and the simply perfect flavour. I only wish I had ordered more!
The seafood pot pie was also brilliant, full of flavour and again full of fresh delicious seafood. A culinary delight!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Bad food, terrible service, overcharged!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We ate here twice over the last few days. First time, we had a group of 8. When we walked in asking for a table, the waitress was very rude, told us that there was no way they could join two tables together to seat our party. There was a suitable table free right in front of us, and she told us that they didn't seat people there because it was too hot!!

We were more than happy to sit there but after arguing with her and various comments saying we were free to go somewhere else, why were we arguing with her, etc, we split our group up and took two seperate tables. I ordered Penang Curry. Which was the worst I've had.

Second time we went back, I ordered fish, which was quite nice. Someone else at our table ordered the seafood hot pot, asking before hand if it was gluten free. They said it was. When it came out, it was basically a big bowl of tomato paste/sauce with fish chunks in it, with 3 bread rolls on the side. The bread wasn't gluten free, and the meal wasn't very nice without it, leaving her hungry. We had to request butter for the bread.

When we asked for the bill, they had overcharged us on 3 cocktails, and one meal. When we questioned the bill, they said they would fix it. We checked it again - it now had two extra cocktails on it. Finally they got it right - about $50 less than the original bill. By this time we were pretty fed up, and when we were openly complaining about the service we actually caught a waitress giving us the finger - same one that overcharged us and suggested we go somewhere else the previous night.

We'll never go back. Don't go there, there's plenty of other great places with wayyy better service!! We went to Cactus Jack's with a group of 25 on New Year's Day, and they were impeccable. And management - take these comments on board, because you're losing business!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wollongbar, New South Wales, Australia
“Absolutely Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was very worried about eating here after the bad reviews I had read here on TA but as it was my boyfriends birthday it was his choice so I went along with it. Oh my I am so glad I did. The food was absolutely AMAZING. We got a tasting plate to share where everything on it was amazing then for our mains we ordered a fish and a surf and turf and they were both equally as yum. Great extensive wine list (not ceap but very good). I really liked it here and am glad we went. I cannot say a bad word and will definately go again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Don't know what platter Nicole and Keith had (as advertised at door), because what we had was not edible! My husband and I arrived before our friends great service 3 waitresses offering us drinks, then took 15 minutes to receive, our friends arrived and had to go to bar to purchase his drink, service by then stopped. The worst seafood platter ever, old long time frozen rubbish, we ordered 2 at $135 each, the fruit was the only edible item on the platter and also barely passable. When mentioning to waitress she failed to respond to complaint, they did in the end charge us for only one platter, expensive few pieces fruit. The positive comments regarding this resteraunt I assume could only have been made by the owner or her friends. Go to Capers if in Airlie beautiful food.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
smuts22, Owner at Shipwrecked Seafood and Bar, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.
And since they mention Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, yes they enjoyed a seafood platter here which must have been OK because we sent them 6 more over the following 2 weeks to the film set in Bowen, even though we pointed out to them that there is a small commercial fishing fleet there where we buy much of our seafood and they could buy directly from there, but no, they wanted our platters sent to them and sent their assistants down to collect them.
We sold eight more platters on the night this person visited, same food, and we got nothing but compliments. Go figure. And they ate a whole lot more than just the fruit.