“Great resort and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Amphora

You added Mantra Amphora to your Saves list
Mantra Amphora
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   49-63 Williams Esplanade, Palm Cove, Queensland 4879, Australia (Formerly Breakfree Amphora)   |
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Palm Cove
brisbane
“Great resort and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Mantra Amphora.
Excellent resort with a superb big pool area and friendly service.

Talk about whingers on trip advisor.
Whats the big deal about a zip bed - get over it.
Use Boutique Collection , you must be joking. booked with them before and they are not even on site or available after hours , fine if service is not important to you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We booked and paid for a self contained apartment with views to the mountains for 12 days and were given a room with a view of the wall of the building next door. We complained and a week later we were "upgraded" to an apartment for our second week. We were not given a reimbursement for the incorrect room. The room and apartment were lovely and modern but could have been cleaner. They provide enough toiletries to last a couple of days then you have to buy your own including toilet paper. If you want extra towels you are charged for them. Having said that, we were supplied with the toiletries and extra towels without charge when we asked but that isn't the normal "policy". We heard of 2 other couples who had the same problems. Probably wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
ILLAWONG NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were so impressed with the Mantra Amphora.
Well appointed Apartment. Outstanding Pool Area (picturesque at night). From time of arrival we were treated by the Receptionist who was so friendly,, caring and professional.
Restaurants, Cafe, and other amenities are so close to Resort.
Hopefully when time permits we will re-visit for a longer stay.
Highly recommended.
D & S J.

Room Tip: As a couple we thought we had great Apartment on first level overlooking Pool. For a family I would...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

So apparently every king bed in every mantra Australia-wide is made up of 2 single beds pushed together. They call it a 'zipper king'. Everything else about the resort was great. Great location, great pool and the restaurant attached 'vivo' was very nice. When I asked about the two single beds pushed together I was told that they're all the same across Australia. The manager told me she might be able to get another mattress topper to make the bed a little more comfortable. She said she'd ring me back during the day but never did. A liitle disappointing, from an otherwise great resort.

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The highlight of the Mantra Amphora is definitely the spectacular swimming pool. Otherwise this is a reasonably generic and forgettable resort. It seems a bit rich to charge such high prices but then not to offer a daily service of the rooms - we even had to buy our own toilet paper. Plus the 3% credit card surcharge on the final bill was an extra sting, especially given that many of these charges for us were outside tours simply booked by the hotel. The wifi was spotty and next to useless. Finally, we were promised a "pool view" room as if this was something worth paying extra for, but on arrival it seemed that every room faced the pool!

On the other hand, the rooms were clean, spacious and quiet. The staff were knowledgeable and helpful. The location is extremely central to everything in Palm Cove. And did I mention the fantastic swimming pool?

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is my second time to Mantra Amphora but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my fantastic experience I had the first time.

Three years ago I stayed in an apartment which was organised via The Boutique Collections. This time I booked a studio room through the Mantra website. The room looked old and in need of new furniture. There was a horrible smell in the bathroom which they tried to cover up with an air freshener that smelt almost as bad. The bed linen was out-dated and the bed was very hard. It was actually 2 single beds pushed together with a piece of foam over the top. However they put the foam with the bumpy side up – which meant I slept on little bumps all night. I felt like I was staying in an old-fashioned 3 star motel.

I was woken at 5.30am to what I’m guessing were kids jumping off furniture in the room above me. After 4 hours of this I went to reception to ask for another room. They didn’t seem to care much and I was told there were no studio rooms left on the upper floors and I would have to pay for an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment. Even though I don’t believe I should’ve had to pay….I did so as I just wanted some peace and quiet…..and sleep! After speaking to a few retail workers in Palm Cove, Lisa the manager at Mantra is ‘not known for her customer service skills’. According to previous reviews it seems other people have had trouble too. Maybe Mantra management need to look into this.

There is no lift at all in the hotel and no one will offer to carry your bags for you. So if you don’t want to carry your luggage up stairs it may be a good idea to request a ground floor room. However there is no privacy in the ground floor rooms and they attract a lot of noise from the pool area. You will need to decide which means most to you. The walls are also quite thin as the talking and general noise from the neighbours was unusually loud.

I purposely travelled outside of school holiday time as I am not a fan of screaming kids, however the place was still over-run by them. Their parents did nothing to control them or ask them to lower their voice. They were in the pool and spa all day every day. A complete nightmare for me. So I had no choice but to spend my time away from the hotel.

The pool and gardens were kept lovely however the rooms are well overdue for a complete refurb. Unfortunately you don’t get a room looking like the pictures on their website. Installing lifts is also mandatory. What 4 star hotel doesn’t have lifts these days??!!

Please make sure you do not book directly with the hotel or via the Mantra website. It just isn’t worth wasting your money. Go to The Boutique Collections website and book your holiday through them. They are lovely people who will do anything to ensure you have a great holiday. They hand pick the rooms so you know you are getting a great, clean room.
There are also a lot of nicer places to stay in Palm Cove, so if you don’t want to book through the Boutique Collections, it would be wise to stay somewhere else.

After staying in 2 lovely resorts (Sea Temple and Shantara) in Port Douglas, unfortunately this was not a very good end to my holiday in Tropical North Qld.

Room Tip: Do not book directly with the hotel or Mantra website. Book through The Boutique Collections for a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would have no hesitation recommending this property, providing the 'general manager' was replaced by a competent person whom actually has training in the hospitality industry. On the limited interactions we had with Lisa, we were left aghast with the clear contempt in which she held guests. We were horrified by Lisa's ineptitude and attitude when dealing with enquiries we had regarding our room (we had booked a one bedroom ocean view apartment, and been given a room to the rear of the complex instead, Lisa actually sighed, laughed at me then told me to 'be quiet and listen' when I questioned our booking). This is unacceptable behaviour and reflects so badly on the Mantra brand. It's clear by reading a number of reviews pertaining to this 'resort' we are not the only ones who have experienced this revolting excuse for customer service.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lisa K, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear CCsomewhere,
I clearly recall our conversation and I understand your frustration with the fact that we could not offer the room that you had booked.
As expressed, this was due to a room removed from our inventory and it something that we are unfortunately unable to control.
At no time do we as resort managers relish communicationing room changes to guests, as we would prefer to deliver an exceptional holiday experience for families to remember. It places ourselves in a difficult position and one that opens us to frustration and anger as expressed here on-line.
It is unfortunate that you feel such a personal attack is warranted. My conversation with you was initited with an apology, explaintation for the change and you were compensation financially.
Regards Lisa