“Anyone gotta spare seat?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Lagoon Resort & Wellness Spa

You added Mango Lagoon Resort & Wellness Spa to your Saves list
Mango Lagoon Resort & Wellness Spa
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   81-85 Cedar Road, Palm Cove, Queensland 4879, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Melbourne
“Anyone gotta spare seat?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We chose the hotel because of the cool photos of the pool on the website, which they were, however with only two chairs around each pool, unless you rise with the sun and nab a chair early on, your going to be stuck only looking at the photos on the website.

All in all, our room was okay, had a TV that didnt work that well and not a lot of lights in the room, kinda gloomy. The chick at the counter wasnt friendly at all, and the ash trays in the yard were full of butts.

As it was our honeymoon, it was our one chance to stay at a 4.5 star hotel, and all and all, I'd have to say I dont feel were missing much when we camp, I was no more or less comfy than I normally am!

• Stayed January 2009
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Perth, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

This was our second trip to the Cairns region, the first being some 10 years ago when my now wife and I were still dating. Back then we wanted to do it all - reef trips, rainforest adventures, white water rafting and so on. This is what we did and we had a fantastic time. This time around our focus was much more on chilling by the pool, taking some time out to read a few books and play around with our 9 month old daughter.

We knew ahead of arriving that there was a very good chance that it would rain every day due to it being the wet season. This was fine, as we were more than happy to stay inside the 1 bedroom apartment we were booking if that turned out to be the case. However, for the most part the weather was hot and steamy, which really suited the feel of the lush tropical gardens and 4 pools that Mango Lagoon has to offer.

The whole place looks and feels like a tropical resort and we even managed to sample a few mangos from the trees out the front - they were delicious too! Having the Spa component attached to resort was also very handy, as my wife and I were both able to indulge in a soothing full body massage! =)

The location of the resort is not bad, but a little bit away from the action - which can be either a good thing or a slight inconvenience, depending on how you look at it. It is a good 5 minute walk to get to the 'The Esplanade' where all the restaruants, taverns and other shops are located. This proved to be a good form of execise in the steamy heat - but a slight burden in the wet. Just something to be mindful of.

Our one bedroom apartment backed on to the Lap Pool, with private access from our back door. This was a true highlight of our trip as we could quickly get into the pool and have a splash with our 9 month old before ducking back into the room for a break. It was brilliant! The only downside of being so close is that not all the other families were concerned with respecting the peace and tranquility others may be looking for. Hence, squealing kids and the unmistakable sound of 'bombies' were heard early in the morning and well into the night. However, we considered this to only be a minor frustration.

The accomodation itself was neat and tidy when we arrived and the decor was exactly as pictured. The apartment was spacious, the fittings were tasteful and modern and overall it was a very pleasant environment.

Overall we had a great time, and would recommend Mango Lagoon to our friends. However after reading a few of the previous reviews, I feel that it is necessary to also share the few minor disappointments we noted during our stay:

1) We had to mop the floor ourselves upon arrival as our daughter is well and truely crawling about the place and we wanted to be sure the floor was clean. The state of the water in the bucket afterwards suggested that the floor hadn't been mopped for quite some time.
2) The bed was terrible. Too low, unsupportive and creaky springs.
3)The lighting was DIM. Great ambiance, but completely impractical. Fitting additional lights to the fans in the living and bedrooms would have made a huge difference.
4) Ants. Daily sprays were required to kill of the trail of ants from the window to the bin. We were very careful not to leave scraps of food laying about, however there isn't much you can do if the little fiends are prepared to attack the bin itself.
5) There needs to be a shower curtin the bathroom. Water simply goes everywhere when you are having a shower.
6) The oven master switch wasn't labelled, which had us dumbfounded for the first night until we found the switch.

in summary, we had a great time at Mango Lagoon and highly recommend the place to young families. 3.5 / 5

• Liked — The 4 pools
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
jklmo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We arrived to find the room either not been cleaned or had other people in it, Reception closed at 11am and it was 2pm, we finally we contacted someone and were told she would be there in 10min but she did not turn up for 40 min. We were then moved to another room which at first glance look Ok but the following was wrong with the room:
AirCon in the bed room did not work properly
The fridge was not working – A frozen Jug of water had been put in there to keep it cool
The shutter on the door was broken
The room was generally not very clean and has mould on the bathroom tiles, cigarette buts by the sun lounger, rotten fruit outside by the door and the bowel for the tea and coffee had onion skin and pepper in it from the last occupants.
The vegetation around the resort badly needs maintenance
When I told the receptionist about this she was not interested and told me to write it down because reception get all the complaints and its not there fault!
Palm Cove has lots of good resorts this is not one of them, stay any where else instead

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — see reveiw
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

I chose this hotel as I had been here 2 years earlier on a travel agent famil and fell in love with it, so decided to take my partner back here to show him how great it was.

Well...I don't know if it was a change of ownership or what, but it was just awful. When I emailed my credit card number to confirm the booking the reply was, your booking won't be confirmed without your credit card...what? So I rung to clarify and got told by the person answering that they were too busy to talk and I would have to call back. I said I was on an international phone-call and just wanted to give over my credit card number to confirm my booking. She said she was too busy so I never gave it over. I then decided that I didn't want to stay there because of this but my partner insisted it would be okay. I had asked on the email for a confirmation so I didn't turn up with nothing but never got sent anything. When we turned up we were given our keys and went to our room. This is the first time in my life (and I've stayed in a lot of places) that I have ever been checked into an un-serviced room!! The people, thank goodness, weren't there, but their dirty sheets, towels and rubbish still were. We put our bags down and decided to go and let them know that the room was un-serviced and go for a walk whilst we waited. On the way to reception I spotted the housekeeper so let her know we had been checked into an un-serviced room, so had just put our bags in the room and we would go for a walk whilst we waited. Her response was "oh that would be right". So maybe it's a regular occurrence?

When we got back the room had been serviced but it was dirty and I wasn't happy at all. I was really disappointed. There was a large cockroach in the room, there was an ants nest right by our door, the duvets had either food marks or dirt marks on them. It was just generally dirty.

The apartment was definitely dim so we couldn't read our books in the living room and the furniture was uncomfortable.

We managed to check out a day early, thank goodness and go to Cairns. When I was at reception I saw behind the counter a notice about how to complain, and the print was so small I was unable to read it, unless I walked around behind the reception desk.

When I got back to work after my trip I had a confirmation from them for my stay...the day before I was due there, meaning I was travelling!

This place just hasn't got it, and I don't recommend it at all. Very very disappointed.

• Liked — Checking out early
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

i just returned from a 7 night stay at this resort. i was looking forward to a weeks' long rest, away from noisy neighbours and crowded areas. i booked the hotel room which i thought would be sufficient for me. i guess it really is sufficient for 1 person if you intend to eat out as it desn't contain cooking facilities/area in the unit. it really is quite small. i wouldn't recommend it to anyone who likes to eat in. after the first night, i upgraded into a 1 bedroom unit which did have a kitchen etc. the room was very spacious, neat & tidy. the ligting is somewhat dim but sets a nice mood to relax. overall,i found it to be better for lenghty stays, it was great! the only problem i encountered was that the back of the rooms face the pool area. this means that at random times throughout the day people would either be doing laps, kids playing and screaming in the pool which at certain times of the morning (7.30am) can be very annoying. luckily i met 2 great irish guys that made me laugh and made the annoyances seem inexistent. the resort itself is very pleasant, the staff were very helpful and accommodating and last but not least, the resort would probably benefit from having the kitchen up & running for dinner. overall, an OK place to stay.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — noisy pool
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

My Partner got back from a month long backpacking holiday around Indonesia. I thought id surprise her with 3 night stay at a local hotel so she could enjoy some comfort. We stayed at the Mango Lagoon Palm Cove after discussing option with very friendly gentlemen from Book Accomm in Clifton beach. Bruce was exceptional and made everything just perfect. I have been a local for over 30 years in Cairns and have travelled the world. It was such a surprise to me that the local services were world class and the accommodation just down the road from where I work was so enjoyable. I urge all locals and visitors to stop by Book Accomm and discuss your option for stay, tours and attraction with Bruce as you won’t get let down. Great service and we will be back keep up the good work as Cairns needs more people like you and quality resorts like the ones you offer.

• Liked — The quiteness and relaxation of all the pools and surroundings
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Mango Lagoon Resort and Wellness spa for 7 nights.
We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with a spa.
The apartment looks fantastic, but its the little things that could be improved.....
The lighting in the apartment (as we had read) was dim, especially over the bathroom sink one is needed.

The shower head is over the spa, this means there can be quite a bit of water spillage.

The furniture in the apartment, looks nice enough buts its not comfortable and unpractical. There is little bench space in the kitchen this can make it difficult to even make a cuppa, we ended up using the electric hot plates as bench space.

There is t bags, sugar and coffee provided but if you run out, to my understanding it will not get replaced, There are 2 sachets of washing power, and 3 dish washing sachets.

There rooms do not get serviced daily although if you stay for one week there is a mid service.

I must say, the rooms were very clean, the apartment pretty, the swimming pools beautiful (and often empty), the gardens surrounding the resort are also spectacular.

All in all i would recommend this hotel, if you are not going to be spending a lot of time in the hotel room ( as a little more comfort may be needed). It is about a 5-10 min walk to the beach which a few times is fine but after a while can get a bit annoying.

• Liked — pool, scenery,
  • Disliked — lighting, practicalilty
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mango Lagoon Resort & Wellness Spa? Share your experiences!