“Forget Port Douglas, head to Palm Cove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Beach Club & Spa

You added Peppers Beach Club & Spa to your Saves list
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   123 Williams Esplanade, Palm Cove, Queensland 4879, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Palm Cove
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne
“Forget Port Douglas, head to Palm Cove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Peppers Palm Cove is a great place to stay, particular if your travelling with little ones -our four yr old son loved the sandy pool. The location is great, staff are friendly and the room was serviced so well, each day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
PeppersManager, General Manager at Peppers Beach Club & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Peppers Beach Club & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We were really excited about our honeymoon at Peppers. We had seen it on the website and decided to splash out for our honeymoon and book the penthouse suite - for 7 nights, which was to include our very own dip pool. It was "advertised" as ocean views, and that you would be able to step out into your own private pool. We imagined this to be on our own deck. WRONG...First off the ocean view was not so. We looked down and there was someone elses absolutely filthy deck - riddled with leaves and dirt. It was discusting. Our view was the restaurant canopies and trees. No ocean unless you had binoculars! Our first step (and last) onto our deck was rather uncomfortable. We could see the man in his spa bath (naked) next door to us - no privacy whatsoever. It was disturbing!

We arrived late at peppers and we were not wowed by what we had encountered! Our penthouse suite was very substandard. First off - the bed - was zipped together and we couldn't lie together as it was soooo uncomfortable. A great bulg in the middle is not the one! Great for a honeymoon! The bed was awful. The penthouse itself was average. We arrived to some chocolates for us which were riddled with ants. They went straight in the bin. The lounge chairs were so uncomfortable - hard bamboo. There was no mini bar - or it was only about 30% full. There was no bath in the penthouse. Very strange for a 5 star resort. Upon arrival and in subsequent days we received no information what so ever about the region, and what to do. No map, nothing. The pool bar was never open. This was another reason we were excited about peppers - the swim up bar. It was always closed, stating there was not enough staff to run it! We paid for this! Duh! We were quite gobsmacked that this resort is five star. Simple things were missing like the bathroom "extras" nearly every hotel we have been to around the world has... a shower cap, a sewing kit etc. Nothing like that. Just soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. I have had better than that at some backpackers!

Onto housecleaning.. this was so far below average. We have stayed in a lot of resorts around the world and were appalled at the cleanliness at Peppers. We had our room cleaned at 2.00pm in the afternoon!! We had to leave the room to have it cleaned. We thought the purpose of staying at a resort was to get your room serviced so you could enjoy it for the day. Not so at peppers. I have never encountered such late housekeeping. When we got back the basin still had facial hairs from my husbands shave, hairs everywhere, it was never wiped around. The floor wasn't swept. I had to ring reception to get it swept. They didn't replace our pool towels, or a bathrobe they took. You wouldn't have been able to tell they had been in and cleaned up. It was pathetic and we did not feel clean staying at Peppers. There was rubbish in our stairwell from our room and the other rooms for 2 days! Lovely sight to walk past! Also we went to book a massage, and no one was there in the day spa. No massage then if we can't book!!

The restaurant wasn't clean either. The food was average. The staff seemed unhappy and one day I asked for aoli with my fries, and to my astonishment I was told "no you can't"! I couldn't believe it. The service was so average. We did not feel special staying there. The staff never said hello to you, or hardly ever smiled. It felt like they resented us and didn't want to be working there. Also where were the staff? There was no one around? We have stayed at many resorts and we paid top dollar ($5000kiwi for 7 nights!!), to have no one available at several times to help. We were waiting one day to order at the bar downstairs, and we just got ignored. There was no, "I'll be with you soon" etc like normal. We were gobsmacked at the slack service.

The upstairs deck, cushions and pool area was dirty. This place was no where near value for money at all. There were no luxuries for staying in a penthouse. It was just a regular apartment with a very uncomfortable bed that we couldn't wait to get out of, and very poor cleanliness. There was a curtain missing in our lounge. The staff were very unprofessional. We paid for breakfast every morning (we paid before we left NZ for this - had we realised what we were going to get we wouldn't have!) and it was rather dirty, unorganised and again unprofessional. We weren't impressed at the selection either. Chlorine was put into the pool during the day while we were swimming. This was rather odd and somewhat disconcerting. Kids were swimming around. Surely this isn't safe?

We were so disappointed we couldn't wait to come home. Our honeymoon at Peppers was a huge bummer!! All our friends are asking how our honeymoon was, and we say it was alright except for the place we staying. Alright is not great to say after your honeymoon. You want to come back saying it was "amazing". Peppers - we feel so let down. We really wish now we had of gone to the islands...

We did enjoy the restaurant a few doors down.. lovely lady owns it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from our various departments and I apologise for any disappointment you experienced. I will contact you directly to discuss these concerns in more detail.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

After much deliberation we settled on Peppers Beach Club & Spa in Palm Cove. Always nervous before arrival not knowing what to expect, we were pleasantly surprised that it looked as lovely as it did on the internet.
For us the location of Peppers was fantastic. We are not into shopping so the small boutiques that lined the street was just enough to browse through. We loved having the beach right on our doorstep and the highlight was definitely eating at any one of the four restaurants located at Peppers and watching the waves roll in.
The staff were fantastic and always on hand. Could not fault any staff member we dealt with.
The 3 pool areas are lovely and the lagoon pool perfect for younger children.
Rooms were kept clean and tidy and stocked with what I needed. The only criticism we had was the size of the rooms. They are quite small. We should have booked 2 rooms as our 9 year old slept in a rollaway in our bedroom given that the living room was way too small to accommodate. So much for holiday romance!!
Great experience, would defintely book here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
PeppersManager, General Manager at Peppers Beach Club & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We booked the ocean facing penthouse for 5 nights for the first leg of our honeymoon in early April 2010

We arrived and checked in .. which was okay and given two keys – one for the door to our apartment and one to the door to our private rooftop courtyard… we asked for valet car parking and they said no problems and we were advised to walk to our car and concierge will meet us there to take our bags to our room

Concierge arrived and told us to park our own car… we were confused.. the sign out the front in the drive way says VALET PARKING .. we had to assist him with our bags and then up 4 flights of stairs to our room … we arrived in the room and then we were asked again to park our car so off we went to park our car..

The mini bar was only 30% stocked – no idea why? We called reception to ask and they said “no .. we don’t have full mini bar at this time” and hung up ….

The service was poor… the hotel staff were more annoyed than helpful when we tried to ask them a question or requested something….

Sometimes we didn’t even understand what they were saying through their strong accents

We only ate breakfast on one morning as we had a 2 for 1 voucher… $27 for 1 and the food quality and presentation was below average…. Then when we trued to eat it .. it was cold and horrid…. Definitely not up to standard

One night we tried to order some dessert from the only restaurant downstairs associated with the hotel (out of the 5 there) I called the restaurant and the lady that took that order was rude and annoyed and huffed and puffed through my order…which simply was a chocolate tort and a fruit platter

The room service cleaning wasn’t up to standard.. After a few trips to the beach our tiled floor was riddled with sand in the living areas…. I don’t think I apartment was vacuumed the whole time we were there

Our private courtyard pool area wasn’t very inviting…. The fridge door would not close? The bbq was filthy dirty which we avoided.. and the pool cover was not put back on one night and was filled with all sorts of things!

One day we went up to the pool and the pool filter equipment alarm was beeping its head off! We had to call reception and they sent maintenance to come fix it as the PH level was not right….

I felt we overpaid for the quality of service or lack of service…. And the rooms aren’t nothing special
Our king bed – was two singles pushed together!? Come on! We are on honeymoon! And they knew this! Lol

Wont stay there again …..

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported with resort standards & hotel staff. To assist me further in investigating these matters, I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. I can be contacted on 07 4059 9200.

Cairns
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

During our stay at Peppers at Palm cove, we actually decided to check out early. The rooms were dissapointing and were not very clean. I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful. It seems like they are not working hard at all to please their guest. I would not recommend any one stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues and decided to check out early. To assist me further in investigating these matters, I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. I can be contacted on 07 4059 9200.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

This was probably our fifth stay at this resort.

We checked in and room was not ready, which was OK. Receptionist said we could store our luggage whilst we waited for the room (gee, thanks). What happened next was astounding. The General Manager came over and spoke to the Receptionist near where she had wheeled the trolley for the luggage. Both of them stood there talking and watched me whilst I carried and loaded the four large suitcases and 3 carry-ons onto the trolley! Great service, Mr Manager.

To say that the standard of the rooms is poor is being kind. This place is filthy. Daily room service is completed in a haphazard way. We stayed over Easter and there was a note placed on the reception desk explaining that our rooms would not be serviced for two days over the Easter Break so that staff could spend time with their families. Yeah right - it wouldn't have had anything to do with the resort having to pay higher wages to staff who worked on those days, would it? Very poor for a 5 star resort. No housekeeping service but no reduction in the daily rate!

We had to ask for a frypan free of carcinogens (I am not joking). Cutlery and crockery was missing. Remote control didn't work for the TV. Light bulbs in ceiling and lamps not working. All of these issues had to be followed up again and again with the Receptionist who always said the standard line "we will get someone there right away to fix that." We lost count of the number of times we called again and again to follow up. We gave up!

Our friends had booked a Penthouse apartment. They invited us for a barbecue dinner one evening, but were shocked that the penthouse area was absolutely filthy. Grime, muck, rotting leaves all over the tiles - it had not been cleaned for quite sometime. They had to call housekeeping to have it cleaned so it could be used.

I could go on and on about the lack of cleanliness as well as the very amerateurish staff but you get the point. These issues have existed in previous stays, but as my review is titled, it is getting worse, not better.

Fortunately, there are now some great resorts at beautiful Palm Cove, so you now have a greater choice in terms of where you can stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your stay and I am regretful for these shortfalls. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. I can be contacted on 07 4059 9200.

Cairns, QLD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

My partner and I were looking forward to getting away for the Easter break, and living in Cairns we decided that we would stay somewhere close by. We had seen Peppers Beach Club & Spa from the outside a number of times and have used their restaurant on more than one occasion. It always looked like a nice place and had a lovely looking pool so we rang up and booked ourselves in for a couple of nights. The lady took full payment in advance.

We arrived a little early and unfortunately our room wasn't quite ready. We had lunch in their restaurant and the receptionist gave me a call on my mobile when our room was ready. A good start.

We checked in and went to our room - a spa room. We had a locals discount so I'm unsure what the regular rate would be, but even given the rate that we paid the room was very small and I felt a little disappointed to say the least. I also noticed a sticker on the door above a locking mechanism that said the door didn't lock automatically and to turn the lock. I tried however it just span free. I checked and the door did lock automatically. Strange.

The door used a regular metal key rather than a key card, and we (as a couple) were only issued with one. I also noticed that the safe used a different key. We were not asked whether we wanted to use the safe and were not offered a key to use it.

Having stayed in a number of hotels in the area I have come to expect a certain standard which unfortunately this room did not meet. Still - we headed down to the pool.

That night, we headed out for a bite to eat and when we returned we went to bed. Still in the hot months, we left the patio doors open and the fan on. Alas, we were unable to sleep as three stories up the guttering had rusted through and the water was falling in a torrent down onto the tiled area outside our room. We closed the doors and put on the aircon.

My partner and I both woke up at about the same time at about 3:00am to the over powering smell of sewage. We both had headaches and nausea. We tried to track it down in vain, however ended up opening the patio doors again to try and clear the smell. This of course left us unable to sleep because of the noise from the rusty guttering.

These are my thoughts only, however I would have thought that for a hotel to call itself 5 star, it would make preparations before each wet season which would include replacing guttering that had rusted completely through...

The next morning we went back down to reception and asked if I could speak with someone about moving rooms. This was at about 9:00am. We were asked for our room number and the problem and the lady said she would get back to me. We said we would go for breakfast and then come back.

After breakfast I went back to the same lady and asked what progress had been made. I was advised that the maintenance had looked into it and had found no problem and the hotel was quite full. I therefore advised that I wished to check out, as I was unwilling to stay another night in our current room knowing we would be unable to get a satisfactory sleep. The reception manager overhead me saying that we wished to check out and came over. We discussed the issue and she advised that we would not be entitled to any refund on our accommodation as we had not given her a chance to rectify the situation. We agreed that we would come back 30 minutes later - at 10:00am - to discuss how she would like to address our concerns.

We went out for a drive and got back to reception at just after 10:00am. The young lady on reception looked at me and asked if I was ready to check out now. I handed over the key however advised that I was waiting on the reception manager to advise us of how she wished to rectify the situation. The reception manager was not available and having no pager was unable to be called to the desk. We waited until approx 10:20am when the reception manager came back to the desk and we were advised that suitable alternate accommodation had been sourced and that housekeeping was in the final stages of cleaning our new room. I let the manager know that we would wait in the lounge area until the room was ready.

At approximately 11:00am the manager came over to let us know that again, the room was almost ready.

By 11:20am, 1 hour after we had initially been told that the room was in the final stages of being cleaned, and with no sign of the manager to follow up with, and with both of us still feeling quite nauseous from the sewage smell the night before, we decided that enough was enough and advised the person on reception at the time, which I believe was the concierge that we were not waiting any longer and that we were checking out. I also felt that as we had given the hotel approx 2.3 hours to remedy the situation this was fair time to be in a position to request a refund.

I wrote a letter of complaint once I got home (related to the major points only), however the next day I got a phone call from the reception manager. She was very apologetic, saying that she had spoken to the general manager and given that we had not already been charged for our accommodation... I stopped her there and advised that I had already been charged. She stuttered a little and then said that she would need to check on that and would get back to me very shortly. The follow up call never came.

Yesterday (April 9th) I received an email from Ryan Newton following up on my letter of complaint. He was quite polite however stated at the end of the letter that 'per the Mantra Group cancellation policy, a 100% cancellation policy applies for booking cancellations inside 48hrs of the booking, therefore I am not able to refund you for any of your accommodation expenses.'.

I understand policy however given that the cancellation was made wholly due to the standard of the room and the problems that we had, I would have thought that some agreement could have been reached? In any event, I will not bother following up, and I will certainly be striking Peppers Beach Club & Spa off my 'go to list' for the future, as well as letting all my collegues and friends know about the awful night at Peppers Beach Club & Spa.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Peppers Beach Club & Spa? Share your experiences!