“Beautiful for a relaxing break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection

You added The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Williams Esplanade, Palm Cove, Queensland 4879, Australia (Formerly Sebel Reef House)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Palm Cove
York, United Kingdom
“Beautiful for a relaxing break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent 2 weeks there and had an extremely relaxing time, just what we needed. The hotel has evolved around wonderful old trees, and loads of palm trees have been added, so that each part of the hotel feels quite private. It's just across a quiet road from the beach (look out for the sandflies near the beach) and there are loads of really great restaurants and cafes very close by. At night things are fairly quiet, there are no clubs, so the relaxing atmosphere continues. We stayed in the Brigadier rooms, we had 2 rooms which had a semi-shared terrace, and each room had a swing seat on the terrace, which we spent quite a lot of time on each day.
Mozzie nets are provided, but we didn't notice any mozzies in the rooms.
There is some paint peeling in the shower room, and some rust, but Palm Cove has a humid atmosphere, so probably hard to eliminate.
The rooms are kept nice and clean, but I would say that the louvre doors could do with a good clean. The air conditioning unit is quiet and unintrusive yet effective, and there's also a large ceiling fan. You should maybe be aware that the door to the shower/toilet is a louvre door . . .
The food was excellent, and the staff were attentive, but there are other equally good places to eat nearby. We would certainly recommend Vivo and Chill. I'd avoid Nunu which is greatly overpriced and the portions are small. The menu doesn't tell you that the dishes are Tapas size - you don't realise how very expensive it is, until the waiter tells you you'll need about 3 or 4 dishes for each course!
The little supermarket next door but one to the hotel (The Pantry?) is well stocked and the staff very friendly. You can get sandwiches, cakes/pastries and coffee there to take out. Always good.
I was very impressed that the hotel staff left a note in our room to tell us they were having a private function (wedding) on the Saturday. The music didn't seem to go on too late, we fell asleep, no problem.
There's an air conditioned bus into Cairns about every 30 mins, costs about $6 return, which we found very good. The bus depot is right by the Pier for boat trips, and also very near to the shops. We visited Green Island and the Barrier Reef, but Cairns itself didn't seem to offer too much.
Having mentioned the fairly high humidity in Palm Cove, there is always a breeze blowing, which takes the edge of the temperature, and you don't notice the humidity so much most days.
If you go to Palm Cove, which is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing, just remember to pack some insect repellent for the sand flies!

Room Tip: All good as far as I could tell.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Anne G,

Thank you for writing such an informative review about your stay at The Reef House & Palm Cove in general. I am sure other reviewers and visitors will deeply appreciate your tips for them.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and felt relaxed. I will pass on the message to our housekeeping team and ensure that we have a look at the louvre doors. I will also pass your comments to our staff and I am sure they will happy to hear about your stay.

Thank you once again and I hope to see you in the near future.

Brett Skinner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I found the facilities comfortable and clean. Staff friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good. We enjoyed the common area provided during the rain and the pool during the sunshine. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Elise P,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am happy that I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found all our facilities comfortable and clean.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team. I am sure they will be happy and excited and give them the encouragement to continue providing the service they are.

We hope to having you here soon in the coming future.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed here the weekend just gone for our wedding anniversary. I don't know how this property has a 5 star rating... It felt like it was under staffed. Really sad as it has so much potential. I really enjoy the quirky style of m-gallery hotels. I stayed in St Moritz in New Zealand. Maybe this is why I had such high hopes for this hotel. This one was good. But it just lacked attention to detail and the staff were unenthusiastic. No mini bar in the rooms. No guest service folder. We went to the brigadier's bar. It looked intriguing with it's library and chess boards etc. I had to go and see the staff in the restaurant for clean glasses. It's a great location but the staff really need to lift their game. The plus is that it is a small hotel so you aren't overwhelmed by other guests.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Kelly L,

Thank you for taking out the time to write about your stay at The Reef House. It is disappointing to learn that your expectations were not met by us during your stay and for that we are truly sorry.

We will be taking your comments on board and ensure that there is sufficient staffing levels at the hotel at all stages. We have also ordered the new compendiums which will give all required details for our guests.

Once again we apologise for the inconveniece caused and it is our hope that you give us an opportunity to serve you in the near future again.

australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Not the first stay at the Reef House and will not be the last. This time we had a Verandah Room on the top floor. Felt a bit like a tree house very good outlook from the spacious Verandah. A lot of the reviews say that the resort is looking tired. I think the worn terracotta floors are the main reason for that because everything else is in good condition. The cleaners were very good and the beds were comfy and well made. We ate at the restaurant quite a few times and everything was very good and well priced. All of the staff were friendly and attentive. There was a wedding on while we were there but the music finished promptly at 10.30 and we heard no more noise. My only complaint about the wedding was the thoughtless guests that used the plastic just married confetti that was all in front of the hotel and across the road at the beach! What were you thinking? Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear realitychick,

Thank you for your positive comments about The Reef House. I am glad to here that you enjoyed staying with us once again and we have lived up to your expectations.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests have had a comfortable stay and enjoyed all the facilities thoroughly. I will pass on your comments to our team here and I am sure they will be delighted to hear about your stay.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We could not have asked for a better spot to relax for a long weekend even though the weather was rainy for most of the time we wanted to relax. We had a deal purchased online and representing great value to what I suppose we could call ourselves 'the snow birds of the south' being in the age bracket of 50+ the hotel was mainly filled with this age group and some younger couples. There was a complimentary spa offer for a 30 minute massage but when we tried to book this on Saturday morning we were told that the day was heavily booked and they close on Sunday so come back Monday (which was no good to us since we left early Monday morning). Having had a noisy drunken guest with the typical horribly high pitched voice shrieking for hours poolside our first night, Brett (Mgr) kindly moved us to a room that was in his words "at the front of the property with a spa inside the room and an outlook to the beach and very quiet"...how wonderful we thought, until that night and the next when the reception/venue next door hosted a wedding and a party on the roof top opposite our room meaning the noise to our room was as bad or worse and those attending were partying in the rooms until the wee small hours (news flash Brett couldn't predict this?). The first night we dined in the restaurant and as a member of Accor Advantage Plus did ultimately enjoy 50% off our food bill despite needing to argue for it at checkout time despite the restaurant being advised on the night. The food was very good as was the service by young Danielle who was really delightful. Ram on the front desk was also terrific to deal with as were most of the staff The rooms themselves are a little dated in some respects especially the plumbing and shower in the room we had but very clean, great bed and everything was comfortable with a small fridge some on the balcony outside some inside the room and each room enjoys a small balcony ours had a swinging seat which looked out to the beach in good weather this would be absolutely beautiful, I sat and read a book each day on this and was blissfully happy. The food for the breakfast bar was fresh each day offering a good variety of fruits, juices,yoghurt and breads and pastries as well as cereals and selections of other cold and hot foods. A Nespresso coffee machine that you were free to use delivered all the coffee options required and there were lovely teas available as well. The only thing I would ask should we return is for a room away from the reception venue next door. While your there also check out the Pullman Hotel a little further up the road it is really beautiful and has a great restaurant rated #1 on tripadvisor we were not sure it deserved this accolade however did enjoy a really nice last night at that restaurant which had a better ambiance than any of the others locally.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front side that has the venue next to it....unless you are a heavy sleeper you pr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear BIGDAYOUT_11,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about The Reef House. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise that your stay was marred by one unruly guest and the wedding reception next door. It is truly a rarity that we have guests who ruin other's holiday as we pride ourselves in providing all our guests in having a relaxed stay. Further, I am sorry that the wedding reception next door kept you up late night. It is always our best intention to keep our guests happy to the best of our possibilities.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies over the incovenience you had during your stay. We would love to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again and I can assure you we will make it a memorable one.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Our rewards deal gave us an early check in at 12.30. Our flight landed in Cairns at 9.40 and when we arrived at Reef House at 10.45, we were greeted warmly by Colin who directed us straight to our room and we were all settled in by 11.15am. Our Veranda Room (202) was on the ground floor, at the end of the corridor, and was spacious and clean, furnished with a retro tropical feel. Our verandah was enclosed with greenery, giving us total privacy, unlike the rooms facing onto the pathway by the pool. We had a fridge, microwave, and basic crockery and cutlery which meant we could prepare or heat food. Breakfast was included in our4 night package and was lovely. The dining room looks out onto the beach and is relaxed and spacious. We enjoyed the 5 course Degustation Dinner on our last night which was a lovely way to end our stay. Overall we thought the Reef House was well worth a visit, very comfortable pillows and bed, nice linen and towels and adequate wardrobe space. The Brigadiers Bar and lounge/library added a retro feel to the property which we liked. All staff were friendly and helpful and we could not have asked for better service.

Dear June-on-holiday,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a positive review about The Reef House. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

I will pass on your message to the rest of the team here, I am sure they will be sharing my excitement.

Once again thank you and we hope see you soon again shortly.

Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I am an accor advantage plus member( I pay a yearly fee for this) and went away to Cairns and surrounding area for a short holiday.
We were given a room on the ground floor, room was great.
We didn't choose to eat in the restaurant and I felt it a bit overpriced and their are other great eating places in the area .We paid($414.00) $137 a night for 3 nights , deal was stay 3 pay 2.
I don't think this is value for money a bit overpriced.
They had undercover secure parking which was free but first in best served, again it is free.
I would look at staying at another accor hotel in the area next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Susan H,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at The Reef House and being a loyal Advantage Plus Member.

Please note that as a Accor Advantage Plus member you can avail upto 50% discount on your food bill. If there is anything we can do to enhance your stay with us and give value for money, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and it is our hope you will give us an opportunity to stay with us in the near future.

Brett Skinner

Been to The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!