“fresh fusion let down by iffy service” 4 of 5 stars

+61 7 4059 1880
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Nu Nu Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 53 Restaurants in Palm Cove
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“fresh fusion let down by iffy service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed in Palm Cove for a couple of weeks over Christmas and got to try quite a few restaurants along the main esplanade there. People say Palm Cove is expensive, but I'd say the quality of food is better than Cairns City at the same price, so don't be put off. NuNu had been featured on a food show, so we were curious. We ended up eating there twice for lunch as the prices were more suited to our budget than dinner.

On our first visit we encountered a really awkward expressionless waiter who unfortunately detracted from what was a very fresh and tasty meal. On our second lunchtime visit, the wait staff were much friendlier but the service was very slow.

My husband had the crispy pork belly salad (Vietnamese inspired) which he loved, and I had pasta of the day which involved rabbit, pine nuts, olives and rainbow chard. I enjoyed the richness and combination of ingredients, but it could have used a lot less salt (and I'm a salt lover!).

I definitely would recommend trying one or two of their cocktails. The list has been well thought out for the tropical location. My ginger beer caipiroska had real ginger in it for a refreshing zing, and the coconut special (which was sort of like a twist on a pina colada) had toasted pieces of shaved coconut on top. Really delicious and well made!

I would go back again here for lunch and a cocktail, but I would prepare myself for iffy service.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Great food, for a treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Had dinner here with my friends, the food was extremely good and set-up.
Will return

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Went here for brunch this morning, found the waitress pleasant however the waiter was rude and acted as though he had no time for pleasantries although the restaurant was empty. I had a juice which was nice, but a bit pricey at $9. My muesli, yoghurt and honey was nice too however could not believe how tiny the yoghurt was! I did not mind however was slightly annoyed at being charged an extra $5 for half a sliced banana. Everything was very slow coming out, which did not worry me as I was in no hurry. I hate to think how much longer it would have taken if there were more than 3 tables occupied though.

Overall everything was nice and it was not a bad experience. I would think twice before going back though simply due to the prices, wait and generally non welcoming service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cairns, Australia
“Been a few times now and the Hmmmm is getting longer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

There are different levels of restaurants - that's obvious. The good ones keep on surprising and impressing at every visit. I feel that Nu Nu used to do that but that my level of satisfaction drops everytime i eat there.

I've been to this restaurant many times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you are a first itme visitor to Palm Cove and Far North Queensland you SHOULD eat here - it's probably the best restaurant of this type in the region which is why it gets the 'Very Good' rating from me. And if you come back again, you should probably eat here again too, it's just it won't be as good as the first time and so on.

The food is generally novel and of a high standard, the service is on the slightly sloppy side of good but friendly and welcoming. Atmosphere is ok, often children around which for me always detracts from what is supposed to be a high end restaurant.

What else to say? It's great, really. Just don't go too often or the shine will dull.

Visited January 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“So good that we dined here four times in one week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed at Palm Cove recently for a week. We started our holiday with lunch at NuNu and ended our holiday with the degustation dinner at NuNu. We also had a few dining experiences in between. The food and service was excellent, hence our repeat visits. We dined a la carte and also indulged in the degustation menu on our final night. I honestly could not complain about anything at this restaurant. Make sure you visit NuNu when you are in Palm Cove as you won't be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere