“A Mixed Bag” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 49 Restaurants in Palm Cove
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Standing proudly in the middle of Williams esplanade we offer all day dining with a relaxed coastal vibe. We focus on being a house of good food and a home of hospitality, offering locally sourced products, a great variety of beverages, outside dining, foxtel sports and a kids corner. So go where the locals go and come on down to The Rising Sun!
Sydney, Australia
“A Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We ate a nice lunch of a chicken burger with chips ($17) (there were only 4 chips on the plate !) and a Vietnamese beef salad. Both were good. We returned for dinner on another night but were disappointed. My chicken parma was dry and my wife's grilled salmon ($32)was tasteless. For the prices I did not see value at dinner.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cairns, Australia
“Great food, great staff and very reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Have had lunch here on numerous occasions over the last couple of years and have always enjoyed the good food, friendly and relaxed atmosphere and great cocktails. The calamari and the Sun burger are always good, as are all of the meals we've had. Will definitely be heading back for more.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, great service, excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went here for a late lunch (after arriving into Palm Cove) and the service was very good, friendly and prompt. I liked the calamari entree and the rest of the meal was good too. They have a decent choice of wines as well. The prices are very reasonable. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to go there for dinner, but when we'll be back in Palm Cove, we'll try that as well, so definitely coming back to this one.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wings beyond edible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Ate here last night for the first time. Food was average, however the chicken wings were so disgusting I could not finish a mouthful. When we left to pay, including the wings we did not eat, the male waiter was so rude. I never would recommend this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Very rude staff - wouldn't go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

The first rule of running a business is the customer comes first. The staff at The Rising Sun failed so miserably in this regard I would discourage anyone from going to this restaurant.

My friend I was dining with ordered chicken wings. When they arrived they were boiled and swimming in sauce. They were not the crispy tasting wings he would usually expect to eat. He did not touch them. Instead he complained and sent them straight back. He did end up having some delicious cooked prawns. Except this does not reflect the standard of cooking at the restaurant, they were straight out of the fridge.

At the end of the meal the chicken wings were still on the bill. We disputed the charge, the chef came out and said you still have to pay, we don't take anything off the bill because of personal taste. I can't believe he would not be more interested to find out how they could be improved. That would be the sign of a good chef. Instead we had to pay for the chicken wings and it left a very bad taste in our mouths.

This is the first time I have ever written a review of a restaurant. I've done it because I'm so angry about the way we were treated.

I recommend not to go to The Rising Sun, do not touch the chicken wings. Eat at Vivo instead.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere