“Large Modern Facility, I deally Situated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pinctada Kimberley Grande

You added Pinctada Kimberley Grande to your Saves list
Pinctada Kimberley Grande
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Victoria Highway, Kununurra, Western Australia 6743, Australia (Formerly The Kimberley Grande)   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Kununurra
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tauranga
“Large Modern Facility, I deally Situated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

It is worth paying the extra for a back room with a Pool view. Rooms are clean and a good bed, but the couch was most uncomfortable to sit on. Excellent and helpful front office staff, in particular the lovely Philippino lady, who really went the extra mile to get a tour booked for us and change the date of another. Unfortunately, at check-out in the morning at 8am, having only one person on the front desk answering phone calls and trying to check-out 4 people, makes for a slow experience. Surely extra staff could be rostered for the known busy times?
There are two restaurants, a more formal one and a Pub type, both I suspect served from the same kitchen. Not a lot of difference in price and we found the Pub one very good and the Ribs are to die for.
Excellent pool and most welcome in the 34 Deg C heat.
Perhaps a little more attention to the grounds, as there were piles of leaves on the walkway from our room, untouched for 4 days?
The WiFi being Free was a bonus. Not fast, but certainly adequate.
There is a self help laundry room, that is VERY busy, especially at night. With one washer and one dryer out of service in the 4 days we were here, it was a bit of a pain getting washing done.
In all a pleasant place to stay and a bonus after some of the other WA small town accommodation. Kununurra (I had never heard of it before this trip) is certainly a great place to start a Top End adventure

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark S, General Manager at Pinctada Kimberley Grande, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Hello Kotuku 123,

Thank you for your review which highlights a lot of positives and a few things we need to work on.
You mentioned the great staff and in particular one of our reception team, I will make sure I pass on your comments to all the team.
Generally there would be another admin staff member available to help during check out, they may have been doing an air port transfer which is complimentary for our guests but usually doesn't take very long
You mentioned the leaves not being cleared, I can assure you that the public area team duties include blowing down the paths and other areas, the team are generally on the ball with this and will be reminded it is done daily.
Our guests laundry which has 3 high quality washing machines and 3 (1 of which is due for service) usually keep up to the high demand, it can be busy at times due to the high amount of people who have been travelling for many days without laundry facilities.
Your dining and comments of the ribs available in the Sports Bar have got a lot of people heading our direction for "something different" that isn't offered in town.
We are always happy to receive reviews like yours as we can action comments and continue to make our property the best in Kununurra.

Mark Shannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The lighting and music filtering through the spacious hotel grounds fill the hotel with a nice ambiance, and the spacious room, fitted with a fan and AC, coupled with the friendly staff all made for a pleasant experience. The free wifi (password protected) is limited, I couldn't get a signal from my room. There is a beautiful pool and the restaurant has two options to eat dine at: the sports bar and the more formal wing - it's pretty much the same menu but on some nights they server wood fired pizzas in the bar. I wasn't into the cow hide rug decorating my room, but otherwise a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to reception would get the free wifi signal
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello rmm69,

Your review ending with "very good hotel" really are appropriate for the Kimberley Grande.
The little things such as music filtering through the pool area and reception are there to make our guests feel welcome and relaxed.
With the best resort pool in the area and what I believe to be the best dining facilities around most of our guests leave with a positive view of our property.
There is no doubt that the large air conditioned rooms and friendly staff are also reasons for your great review and I hope that you will be able to return to enjoy the Kimberley Grande again.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I created an account specifically to leave my first review. I stay in rural areas from time to time for work and I had quite low expectations of both kununurra and accommodation. To say I was pleasantly surprised was a massive understatement. The staff were friendly and the food and accommodation were first class . Will definitely return.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear JokerAUS,

This is probably the best review I have had for a while due to the fact you have actually made an account to express your pleasurable stay at the Kimberley Grande.
Your comments of staff, food and accommodation being first classed will be passed onto the team and I am sure will be much appreciated.
For anyone reading the review I hope they will also get the opportunity to visit Kununurra, it truly is a great base to experience the wonderful Kimberley region.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you come back soon.

Kununurra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Australia is expensive but the Kimberley Grande is another level. Great for that special occasion. I went as a last meal with my girlfriend before she went travelling so it was well worth the 106 dollar bill at the end. Great pizzas!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Mike R,

Thank you for taking the time of your recent dining experience at the Kimberley Grande.
From your review I am not sure if you stayed with us or were one of the many who love coming to the Grande for its exceptional dining experience.
It sounds like your your girlfriend headed away after a wonderful meal to enjoy her travels with great thoughts of Kununurra.
The price tag doesn't seem high to me, dinner and drinks for 2 people at a fantastic venue is well worth the it for the great memories.
Don't forget that we regularly have dining evenings with 2 for 1 and special priced meals which cater for all budgets.
Thank you again and all the best for your travels.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have been to neighbouring accommodation and was eager to see what Pinctada offered. The grounds are big, wide and very Kimberley. The service was exceptional, with business to do the function was well setup and staff willing to please. As was the reception when I booked in, staff are all very friendly.

Town centre is close by a 3 minutes drive.

My room... well its tired, the door wasn't very securing it felt hollow. Nonetheless it is clean, and catered for my simple needs. The aircon though a little noisy was effective. The bathroom basin was cracked and design wise with soap in a separate dish and open bench style vanity doesn't add any luxury feel. Was surprised not to find a hairdryer in the bathroom. Internet is PAYG. The couch/day bed adds age to the room and the cow hide rug might put off those animal lovers or vegetarians. Powerpoints are in some odd places mid wall, near the ceiling and difficult to get too (Probably from previous setups)

The pool area is gorgeous worth waking early before your day starts. I'm a fan of good food and the PKG sports bar lived up to its wonders from my previous visits. I'm just not so sure about the decor with naked women mixed with cattle themed props.

I booked at a discount rate, large room nothing fancy so I'm happy. But compared to other hotels its an average from me.

Room Tip: Go for poolside and away (south) from the highway
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Bettabgood,
Thank you for your review of the Kimberley Grande.
I will make sure to pass on to the staff your comments of their exceptional service and of how you mentioned they are willing to please.
You had obviously stayed for one of the many events which are booked regularly, I am not sure which one of the 3 various sized conference rooms you used but by the sounds of it you were more than happy.
We have been working hard with our pool area to ensure all guests can relax around the best resort pool in town.
I can assure you we are continually conducting maintenance on the rooms, one thing that won't change is the comfortable beds and more than generous size.
The review on dining will also be passed onto our team in the kitchen, they will be glad to hear of another happy guest who has enjoyed the fantastic dining available on site.
Once again thank you for the review and I hope you can make it back to us to see the improvements that will be taking place.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Pinctada is set around a beautiful large pool a 10 minute walk from town .We were fortunate to have a corner suite which is huge with king bed and spa as well as large shower and very comfortable big sitting area . The essential air conditioning throughout worked well and most units have an open balcony area with seating facing the pool The public areas are spacious and different --PKG grill has a pub atmosphere and menu and lots of sport TV while the main restaurant could also fit groups but was comfortable for couples and had a good breakfast menu (but why was cappocchina extra at such an upmarket and quiet property?)

Room Tip: Splurge out on the luxurious corner suites
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark S, General Manager at Pinctada Kimberley Grande, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hi Cheryl L

Thanks for the very posative review.
From your comments it seems we definitely have the best resort rooms, pool and dining in town.
We are working with new suppliers to find the best complimentary coffee for breakfast.
Our Lavazza brand beans allows us to make fantastic espresso and we need make sure the filtered coffee blend is up to the same standard.
I will pass your review of the food onto chef, I would have thought the restaurant should have got the same tick of approval, as all our meals come from the one kitchen. Once again we will make sure that chef is aware of your comments.
Thanks you for staying at the Kimberley Grande.

TOWNSVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are lovely and big. The pool is fantastic. The staff are friendly. The hot breaky is simple but very nice with a full plate but the coffee is like water. The food at the PKG BAR is brilliant - go the Ribs! The salmon was perfect and the Parmigiana yummy! The food in the PKG GRILL was disappointing. Overall we had a nice stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mark S, General Manager at Pinctada Kimberley Grande, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi Cheryl,

I am pleased to read your review from your recent stay at the Kimberley Grande.
There seems to be a lot of ticks regarding rooms (which are lovely, big and comfortable), pool (easily the best resort pool in the Kimberley), staff (our most valuable part of the property).
We are working on the complementary coffee with breakfast to get the best ratio, I can assure you we will make this better. I wonder if you had the opportunity to try our freshly made Lavazza coffee which our team pride themselves on making.
Great to read that you loved the food on site and in particular the Sports Bar, we have included a couple of favourites including the ribs cooked in our own homemade marinade. I am sorry that the restaurant didn't meet your expectations, the menu is similar to the Sports Bar with the additional mains and entrees included along .
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and would like to think you will be back soon to explore the wonderful Kimberley region with us.

Mark Shannon

Been to Pinctada Kimberley Grande? Share your experiences!