“Wonderful setting, nice rooms, natural hot pools - relax!” 4 of 5 stars

Puyuhuapi Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Bahia Dorita, Chile   |
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Aisen Region
Asheville, North Carolina
“Wonderful setting, nice rooms, natural hot pools - relax!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have read some of the other reviews and accept the fact that some people did not enjoy their time at Puyuhuapi. This may be a function of staff fluctuations, weather or perhaps the way in which the visitor approaches his stay. Most likely it is a combination of factors and each visitor's experience is only a snapshot of that period in time. My snapshot was very positive! The food was unfailingly good to excellent. Our room was large, well furnished and beautiful - not even considering the amazing view out the picture window! The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful, making an effort to make us feel welcome. We were there in mid summer and there were so few bugs that we just left our patio door open all the time to enjoy the cool breeze off the fjord. There were multiple outdoor hot pools 500 meters down a woodland path, most tiled but one beautiful natural pozone which was the hottest and my favorite. We had all our lunches (during a 3 night stay) at the little cafe located near the outdoor pools where we had good food and were introduced to Finnisterra Ale Rubia, an excellent Patagonian beer. I had a great massage at the spa by a very capable therapist and we spent one rainy afternoon splashing in their indoor pools and jacuzzis. In short, we had a very good, romantic stay. My only complaints involve the maintenance of the acres of decks around the front of the lodge. They were weathering poorly and were trip hazards. They were also an indicator of delayed maintenance by management. But don't avoid this place because other people had unpleasant experiences (the hot water in your shower comes from the hot springs - turn it on 5 minutes before you want to get in). My wife and I felt this was the most romantic and relaxing place we have ever stayed!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a superior water view room, worth the money!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The location is beatifull but it is misleading. Once you step in this hotel you feel that you are trapped.... there is no way to get out of there. you are forced to eat an overpriced awfull dinner with the worst service followed by a very poor breakfast. If you want to take a hot shower you need to open the hot water 30 minutes in advance because the hot water "comes from the natural tehrmal waters" which are most probably very far away.
there are scheduled boat times to come and leave the hotel. We planned our day very carefully to arrive on time for the last boat (7:00 pm) which in the patagonian summer is like mid-day and were forced to wait over 30 minutes for a group that was late.
We stayed in room 306 which supposedly should have had views to the bay but it overlooked a roon infront of us. Moreover, there were no transparent curtains so we either had the option to be in full dark or to expose our selves to the "lucky neighbours". We opted for the second option (lucky neighbours!!!!)
The 3 external thermals are disapointing, the internal thernal is not included in the price and the prices for every move you make are outrageous.
BE CAREFULL OF THIS GOLDEN CAGE!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Despite the gruelling travel to reach this hotel (for it it was 13 hours door to door from Punta Arenas), we were really pleased to have added a 3 night stay at this lovely termal spa hotel into our schedule.

The remote location does make it feel special and the views and the surroundings are spectacular.

We were very lucky to have some stunningly sunny weather and very little rain when we were there (I understand December had been very wet and that it rains a lot usually). I can understand why some reviewers who visited in the rain had a less positive impression.

The natural hot thermal spa waters come out at 33-45 degrees. On the days we were there they were at the upper end and the jacuzzi too hot to get in to. The spa pools had cold water mixed in which made them lovely. It's so tranquil to have the natural hot and cold spring waters running everywhere. As well as the outdoor (3) spa pools there is also an indoor spa area with large pool and jacuzzis (although the steam room wasn't working). Most days we had the indoor spa to ourselves.

The design of the hotel is very Swiss - rooms are in seperate blocks and only 2-3 story so no lifts is fine. Our room had a great view over the fjord inlet and was very large with a balcony (table and 2 chairs), indoor seating area (2 chairs) and a step up to the bed area with a very large (could have been 8ft) and comfortable bed. Smallish bathroom but lovely hot water straight from the thermal spring (you do have to leave the tap running for a while to get the hot water through). Towels and robes provided together with spa shoes.

The hotel feels very comfortbale and homely. Yes it could do with a bit of updating in parts, but that is part of its charm and in such a remote location updating must be hard and costly. We loved sitting in one of the lounge areas with a book and a drink - when we were there it wasnt cold enough for a fire, but when the log fire is going it must be even nicer.

We really enjoyed the food here - they grow their own vegatables so the menus were much more balanced than elsewhere (in Chile meat is very much preferred to veg). Lots of attention to detail and quality and they go out of their way to meet client dietary needs. waiting staff attentive (Martin very helpful).

The hotel organises 1-2 trips a day into the national park; so which you get to do depends on what days you are there. Around the lodge they organise two 1 hour walks which are pleasant - very muddy so wellies are provided. Kayaks are available and it was lovely pootling around the bay. Some nice birds to see but not much other wildlife.

We stayed 3 nights and 2 days and left very chilled out. We loved this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked with the Puyuhuapi Lodge & Spa because it promised me a gastronomic and adventure experience where I could venture to the Parque Nacional Quelat to see the Ventisquero Colgante or Hanging Glacier. After consistently wonderful experiences at Explora, I thought that the Chileans had got the knack of providing luxury in far-flung corners of the country. Was I to be proven wrong.

I had booked on the Nature, Adventure, Unplug Programme at the lodge, which cost me US$1600 for 3 nights (US$2200 during high season). So, at more than US$500 a night, you do expect a little luxury.

I found that I would be the only paying guest when they picked me up at the airport in Balmaceda. I was joined by another 11 people, employees of the owner from another business in Valdivia on a reward trip.

The first day is really a day spent on the Carretera Austral or Highway 7. You arrive at the hotel in the evening, since you have lunch at Coyhaique not long after you get received at Balmaceda,

I was also told at that point that the location experiences 220 days of rain a year, which means that we would have about a 65% chance of rain. Sure enough, we arrived in the rain...

The guest rooms are in separate blocks and we were allocated to a block that was accessed by an unsheltered path. This meant that you and your luggage would get wet...

The blocks are low-rise, without lifts, so it really depends if you want to work for the view, since a higher floor gives a better view, but involves climbing more flights of stairs. The room itself was large with a nice balcony overlooking Bahía Dorita. However, many things did not turn out quite right. My closet could not close properly (the wood was starting to warp); the water pressure was low, meaning that my showers were never hot (just warm) or with a good flow of water; the tap in the wash basin could not be turned on without the tap hitting the wall... The list goes on...

During my first dinner there, I was presented with a hand-scribbled menu in Spanish. Two choices for starter, main and dessert. I opted for the Conger Eel Soup, Pasta and Cake. The pasta turned up after I had to chase them (the wait between when I finished my soup and my pasta's arrival was more than 30 minutes), and turned out to be uncooked (not al dente - uncooked!), so I had to return it to the kitchen. Dessert, as I discovered during my stay, was a single option (the other was always fruit salad). Gastronomic experience? I'm sorry, but it was far from it!

Then came the excursions. Since there were only 12 guests in the hotel, there was only one guide, which meant that you had no choice of excursion, except what they want you to do. As it turned out, about half the guests only wanted to spend time in the spa and thermal springs, which made the excursion group smaller.

The second day's excursion was just in the North and South of the hotel. First was a walk to look at plants and birds, and the second involved kayaking in the bay and then a trek back to the hotel.

On the second night, the guide was suggesting that we go to the Enchanted Forest. I was upset, because the only reason I made the trip was to see the Hanging Glacier, so I spoke to him. Thankfully, the hotel changed the excursion the next morning (the third and final full-day at the hotel) to go to see the glacier.

After check-out and the ferry trip across the bay on the last morning, we were driven back to Balmaceda for our flight. Lunch was a packed lunch of fruit, sandwich and biscuits with a bottle of water.

What can I say? This place competes with the likes of Tierra and Explora, but falls so short that it is a joke! The lodge could have been a wonderful jewel in the crown of Chilean tourism, but fails due to the poor service standards. No wonder there are no guests, and no wonder it is slowly rotting away.

My suggestion to the owner is to turn it over to get managed by professionals who know what the luxury adventure business is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I were the only guests at this hotel 9/10,11 and 12. The staff were all great including the chef. But since we were the only guests the hotel brought in someone to fix our meals (not the usual chef) and the food was not good. We finally determined to just have salads and cheese and bread. The bathroom in reception was under construction so if one needed the facilities we had to climb 3 floors up to our room. The price was all inclusive - the room rate, the food, the tours, etc. and VERY expensive. Due to not having the real chef and having the facilities under construction, we should have received a steep discount.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you really want to excape from the whole world, can go somewhere unique and incredibily special - come here. It's an extraordinarily unique and magical place - nothing like this in the world. The only problem is that it is so far away (of you live in Dubai ;) ) so only really for very very very special occasions!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Coyhaique, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We made a family vacation here in April and the experience was superb. Our two boys couldn't get enough of the pool and jacuzzis and my wife was in heaven enjoying the massage and seaweed treatments. We took kayaks out in the fjord one day and saw sea lions and dolphins just meters away! The restaurant was first class and they serve the best pico sours in all of Chile. All in all a great experience and we will surely be back again soon.

Room Tip: Be sure to soak in the farthest outdoor hot springs pool and then dive in the ocean. You will insta...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Puyuhuapi Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!