“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Crofton B&B and Inns
Lethbridge, Canada
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Poor communication with the staff. We specifically asked for (and were promised) the loft and were put in the 'inn', which is an old seniors residence. Doesn't seem like any reno's or redecorating have been done since. Bathroom fan was missing, mold growing by the shower and giant spiders everywhere.

To deal with the mildew smell we had some essential oils going in a diffuser. While we were gone the staff came in our room, put the oils into a garbage bag and left our room with the door and all windows wide open. When we returned they slipped a note under our door telling us that the smell was inhabitable for their staff. Natural and organic peppermint oil?! The smell was better than the musty smell of the old building. They are lucky that nothing went missing from our room or there would be much bigger issues than a bad review.

Dinner was very late, and the chef did like to complain about the other staff members. No one told him that we were vegetarian, and he had to run back to the store to find us some food to eat. They also didn't make any extra accomodations even though it was my birthday and they had said over email correspondence that they would.

Came in as part of a social shopper deal, they gave us a $50 credit, which was not even a quarter of what we spent including ferry rides over to the island. We made complaints to the Inn but never received a response.

Stay away!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We bought this stay as part of a two night Groupon deal for $169. It was not worth the cost. From the get go communication was poor regarding our stay, accommodation, the meal, the wine reception, check in and check out. We chose to stay in the Loft which, from photographs looked like a romantic, well appointed hideaway. We arrived to a small, freezing cold and dirty suite. From the old hairs in the bed and stuck to the wall to the billowing dust bunnies and cobwebs it was clear that little care went into maintaining this accommodation.

There was one small heater in the living room to heat the entire suite. The bathroom floor was so cold it was impossible to walk on it and we needed to use chair cushions in place of bathmats (we are mountain climbers and well used to extreme cold, but do not expect this at a bed and breakfast)! The kitchen was poorly stocked. Bathroom amenities were bleak (limited toilet paper, thin bath towels, ivory soap and nothing more).

Things did not get much better with the meals. Breakfast were institutional and unpalatable at best. The so called cooking lesson and dinner was a complete disappointment. The chef arrived an hour late to a freezing venue in an old barn that was poorly appointed. The chef was dirty. The ingredients were of extremely low quality and nothing was fresh. The water had been turned off due to pipes freezing and nothing was sanitized. The chef was self-absorbed, fishing for tips, bemoaning his hard life and complaining about his employers. There was virtually no lesson involved in the dinner preparation, however, even the most inexperienced cook could have replicated the simple and unappetizing meal.

On the whole, we were completely disappointed in our stay. It is evident that the owners care little for their guests or repeat business. We felt completely disrespected and misled by the website and coupon advertisement. Would not go back or recommend this venue to even our enemies.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I must admit, I don't quite "get" why this place creates such a wide variance of opinion on Tripadvisor. It seems like pretty much everyone booked, as we did, using the $169 two night B&B special, including a dinner. So, deducting off the value of a three course dinner ( $25 pp value, and in my opinion worth every penny if not more) you are paying $60/ night for B&B on Vancouver Island for two-how can that not be decent value?
Maybe it's just the unrealistic expectations set by a website that over sells, especially if you are staying in the Lodge, the former seniors residence that still shows numerous indications of its former use. After staying for a weekend, where we experienced nice meals, friendly hospitality and a relatively comfortable room ( not four star, but not four star prices either) I won't complain. Would I come back? Well the real issue for me is that Crofton has nothing to draw me there, and the skyline dominated by a pulp mill takes away from the appeal of the coastal location. Kudos to the owners for thinking outside the box in offering the included dinner (not really a cooking class, but hey, the chef was friendly and fun to talk to).

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I don't want to be negative but would have appreciated reading the reviews before I purchased the social shopper coupon. I purchased a coupon for $169 for two nights including dinner, cooking class, and breakfast both mornings. Because I had purchased it as a gift for my husband I was disappointed and embarassed that I hadn't done more thorough research. Our understanding from other guests was that the "loft" was very pretty and comfortable (and the couple would return) and the "lodge" was beautiful but I can say that the Inn is terrible and I would not return to this establishment. It feels and smells like a home for the elderly. Small rooms, plastic sheets with just a thin top sheet over this and cheap/low quality bedding and furnishings. The bathroom is tiny and moldy and our fan was broken. There is a chair lift in the stairway that makes it very difficult to walk up/down the stairs. In the bathroom there was some ivory soap but no other toiletries, towels were thin, cheap and sparse. The walls are paper thin - you can hear everything going on and I barely slept for two days. Our room seemed to be newly painted and overall clean - if it had not been we would have left for sure. As it was I would have left after the first night but I wanted to experience the "cooking lesson" and meal as that was part of the attraction. The meal was delicious but there was no cooking lesson - it was all pre-prepared which was disappointing - Chef Michael did explain a few things that he had done but I think he was really stressed about it being 24 people for dinner and wanted to make sure everything was done - and it was fabulous. On the dinner note - we had arrived Friday night and had the choice of doing dinner Friday but it was vegetarian - hand made pasta and eggplant parmigiana - we opted to find a restaurant elsewhere and return the following night with chef Michael's promise of meat. The best thing about the trip was the people we met who were all wonderful - staff too but particularly the other guests. Breakfast was alright but no selection or choice - or even communication of what was coming which would have been appreciated. Also, no beverage options besides strong black tea or coffee, I agree with an earlier review - amatuers wanting to make a go of it but they have a lot to learn and I don't feel that $169 was worth the value for the weekend - let alone being a good value, particularly when you add the cost of ferries. Perhaps if we had not been in the inn I would have felt differently overall. Oh, and unluckily the smell of the mill was with us most of the weekend - nauseating. Not the innkeepers fault but a deterrent on the location and value.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Inn
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Coquitlam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We obtained a coupon online for $169 for two nights including dinner and two breakfasts. We chose to book the four rooms (and sell to friends) in the new house that had 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, commercial stove and fridge. Great view of the harbour and Crofton. The demonstration dinner chef explained how he prepared everything. The staff are wonderful and helpful. The breakfast plentiful and creatively prepared. You can hear the sea lions barking at night if you leave the windows open.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at the Foxglove Inn for two nights in June 2013 as a group of 4 women who had purchased the stay through Living Social. The owner, Nancy, kindly gave us the entire separate house known as the Gables, which is a nearly new building with a water view. We all had our own bedrooms and the run of the house. Initially we were very impressed.
Not so good was the breakfast. The two mornings' breakfasts were already there when we checked in, and consisted of some large cakey grocery store muffins, which were pretty stale by the third day, sweetened yogurt, a few bananas and oranges and some instant oatmeal. Had we known the breakfast would be so unappetizing we would have brought our own.
The promised cooking class consisted of salad, pasta, eggplant parmigan and desert It was really more of a demonstration, although we did get to help make the pasta. The chef promised to email us his recipes but never did. There was nothing fresh from the garden.....he said he had bought the supplies from Walmart. It was not appealing the way the chef kept rubbing his hands over his sweaty face, then handling the food. I understand this chef is no longer there.
As it turned out, check out time was 11 am. Since we were never told this, our stay ended rather abruptly, with the maid waiting while we threw our belongings into our suitcases. Unfortunately my sister left behind her newly purchased cap, a souvenir of the trip. She called the inn to ask that it be held until I could pick it up for her, since she is from the prairies, but when I finally was able to make the trip back to get it, Nancy said she had given it away to her partner. She promised to get it from him and although I have phoned and emailed on several occasions to ask if she had the hat yet, she always acted like she had never heard of the hat, but in the end assured me she would definitely get it for me and call me right back.
I have been waiting til I had the hat before writing this review. I would have accentuated the positive at this obviously struggling small inn. But I never got the hat and I feel that Nancy was never intending to return it, but was just telling me what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone. I am angry that she did not safeguard my sister's property, but instead gave it away. She should have offered to replace the hat, or at a bare minimum apologized for losing it. My opinion of the Foxglove Inn is that it is run by unprofessional amateurs who don't respect their guests and make no efforts to ensure they return. They needn't worry.....I will never go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver Island, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place falls short of the mark. What they say you will get, is not the reality.

We stayed in the Inn and our room was very small. It was not soundproofed at all! We could hear everything going on in the rooms next to us as well as in the hallways - conversations, snoring, coughing, walking around, etc. The water pipes were very loud and sounded like they were in the wall right behind our bed. And as if that wasn't enough, the showers were not pressure-balanced. While in the shower you got repeatedly scalded or frozen when people used the water elsewhere in the Inn.

The breakfasts were not all that great - by no means deluxe as advertised - overly sweet smoothies, fruit salad made mostly with Costco frozen fruit mix (soggy), undercooked scrambled eggs (how do you even do that?), frozen hashbrowns and bacon (that was the only good part). While we were eating, we overheard yelling between Nancy and a guest. It was so loud and uncomfortable (not a relaxing experience that's for sure!). It went on and on and kept getting louder and louder (for at least 20 minutes). It was so inappropriate on so many levels. Finally we got up and left. To make matters worse, I later overheard Nancy speaking with another guest about the incident. Nancy asked her to tell the other guests that she was sorry about the commotion. I would have expected a good owner to make a point of personally apologizing to each guest and maybe even offering some kind of discount or gift to make up for it.

The saving grace of this trip for us was the dinner with Chef Mark. He was very friendly and a very good cook. While the menu sounded like it might be quite a simple meal, it was far from it. Everything was deliciously gourmet and expertly prepared!!! I would have been disappointed if I had been expecting a cooking class. Mark was interactive with us and the other guests however, sharing cooking tips and preferred ingredients along the way. He was very intuitive about when to interject cooking tips and when to be quiet and let the guests engage in their own conversations. It was nice to be able to bring our own bottle of wine to dinner.

The location was ok, but there was no view from the Inn. The pulp and paper mill was right across the bay, but thankfully it was not smelly the weekend we were there. There was a very short little walking path down to the water near the Inn which was nice.

I am glad stayed at this place with a groupon deal or we would have been really upset. It was barely worth the price we paid let along more. I would not suggest staying here (in case you hadn't already guessed that).

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Inn, perhaps the Gables or the Loft may be better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Foxglove Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!