We got the Bahia Estela by Viva on short notice as an exchange for another hotel we'd booked. It would have been an ok exchange and an agreeable vacation but for one thing towards the end that spoiled it all: On the beach of the hotel they repeatedly laid out rat poison and so poisoned the friendly dog family that lived there.
After the first dead dog the angry hotel guests went to search for the poison and found some green stuff on the beach. The vet confirmed that this was rat poison and that was what the dogs were dieing from. It would have been readily available for playing children just as well.
If that danger isn't enough, it will ruin even the most cheerful holiday to watch a puppy suffer for 3 days and then die by the massage pavilion.
For us at least, that was it. i was depressed for the rest of the stay.
For this warning it is irrelevant if the hotel's management ordered this treatment or simply tolerated it. According to the vet who was called for the last dog this happens every year and always on this beach, always at this hotel, repeatedly. Draw your own conclusions.
This way or that, the vacation was ruined, and I'd strongly recommend people with kids or with a heart for animals should not book that (or the next door Viva Wyndham for that matter because you'd have to watch the same thing) or accept them in exchange for another hotel.. Personally, I will never ever book a Viva hotel again in my life and I'll sure let them know why.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia Estela offers you the opportunity to enjoy a truly unique beach front experience. Whether you are a property owner or a guest, you will be enchanted with the lush vegetation of our exclusive location, our pristine beach, our authentic cuisine, and our impeccable service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Bahia Estela reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Estela Samaná Peninsula
- Bahia Estela Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic