“Sublime Surroundings and Unbelievable Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 33 hotels in Las Terrenas
New York City, New York
“Sublime Surroundings and Unbelievable Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my first review on TripAdvisor. I felt compelled to write about my positive experience at the Sublime Samana after arriving back this evening.

My wife and I traveled with our 16 month old son to the Sublime Samana Hotel via El Catey airport from JFK, NYC. Jet Blue flys on Wednesday and Saturday directly to the El Catey Airport, making it an easy transfer from the airport to the hotel (20 mins if you take toll road for about 480 RD = $12 US), versus approx 45 min for scenic route.

The hotel is a very well maintained and manicured property set on the beach. The two main pools are connected by longer perpendicular wading lap pools. Looking south of the beach, the scenery is lush mountainous terrain. The contrast of mountains and beach give the hotel a very exotic feel and look.

The Beach: Do you like warm, turquoise colored water? The beach was one of the best I have seen. See attached pics.

The Rooms: Our room, was a comfortable 2BR with a large king bed, two massive bathrooms, huge showers, a great kitchen, spa and outdoor patio (with table and 6 chairs). Extra's like can-openers were available upon request. We shopped at the local "Linda" Supermarket for basics, so the kitchen was very useful for us. The room is restocked with coffee and bottled water each day.

Service: Where do I begin? Nothing was too much for the staff at the Sublime Samana. Our son became quite sick after our 3rd day and required medical assistance. Bruno, the General Manager drove us to and from the local town in Las Terrenas 3 times to see 2 doctors, 3 pharmacies and one pathologist. He was our private driver, translator during the doctor consultations (we speak zero Spanish), psychologist (for worried parents) and blood collection assistant (for our son). I have never had any other manager act in such a kind way.

Karina, Carlos and Jasmin at the front desk were extremely helpful with local and medical advice, phone calls, babysitter bookings. They went out of their way to make our experience very memorable.

Alberto and Raymond at the restaurants were very accommodating, friendly and professional.

Food: Two restaurants with a very international menu catering to all palates. I very much enjoyed the grilled Chillo (local fish), the burger and the cerviche. Raymond makes a mean Capiroska too.

Local Las Terrenas town: It has a very Dominican rustic feel. Like many underdeveloped, but becoming popular beach towns, I think it's only a matter of time before a Starbucks or 7/11 arrive. I give it 5-8 years. It will be a sad day when that happens, so visit before this occurs. Pueblo de los Pescadores has many tasty restaurants.

Tips:
Hiring a car is essential.
"The Beach Restaurant" in Playa Coson had some of the best food I had eaten in Las Terrenas. The Beach Spaghetti, Tuna Carpaccio and Teriyaki Tuna Steak were melt in your mouth good.

I highly recommend the Sublime Samana.

BG

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BrunoGaudio, General Manager at Sublime Samana, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi Ben

Thank you for your comments and thank you too for taking your time and share it with the Tripadvisor community.
It is very satisfying to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and this makes all our work a true pleasure and reaffirms our commitment to provide our best.

We look forward to your return visit soon.

Gracias!!!

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dover, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This review is long overdue! Looking at it from another perspective: still thinking about this beautiful Samana paradise a month after our visit!! We planned this trip late spring and created so many ideas how it would be based on images and other peoples comments/review. We thought our expectations were a bit too high--looked too good to be true. My girlfriend was visiting Dominican Republic for the 1st time, and wanted something unlike the crowded places we know on the east coast of the island. Borrowed moms car from Santo Domingo and cruised to this "beautiful" paradise I'd seen in a Dominican Newspaper ( which was my guarantee it couldn't be a bad place-since appearing a socialite mag), until we arrived on the Coson Circle exit and drove through a muddy unpaved-narrowed street. We had an emotional "zero gravity" falling! Finally reached the beautiful entrance and all doubts set aside--back to our original idea of the place. Awesome main reception decor--spectacular design. The place looked better then the real thing on the magazine picture!! One bedroom apartment--all white. clean, top quality furniture...including shower soap. The place has a spiritual element in its deign and decoration...comes even better when one contemplates the ocean view and/or mountain view from the pool. Stunning. The beach was our haven for the next three days--with great service from Ramon (still remember his name...not going to stretch my memory. It needs another sublime. Pronto!!) by the beautiful beach. Service was prime at both restaurants--breakfast (which is included--hey this is gourmet Dominican mangu with all kinds of goodies). Thank You Sublime for meeting our expectations with such a fabulous location-decor-design and service. Gracias Totales from New Jersey Rafael Leclerc/Yvette Plaza

Room Tip: One Bedroom is nice apartment--fitting about 4.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Rafael and Yvette!!
Thank you for your detailed review and your great comments. We are very happy to read you had a great experience at Sublime.
I will share your feedback with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nos vemos!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My family and I spent 4 days at sublime samana. When we got there we were greeted by the hotel manager. He showed us to our room. It is a very clean hotel. The food is a little expensive. But other than that everything was great. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2013
BrunoGaudio, General Manager at Sublime Samana, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We are very glad to recieve your possitive comments about your stay at Sublime Samana.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards!!
Los esperamos pronto!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Sublime Samana last year during the November for couple of days. There were only 5 reviews at that time for this property and I took a chance, basically trusting the photos and the reviews. We were a couple travelling with an infant and had the ground floor 1 bedroom apartment, which was more than enough. There is a separate living room and you can walk to the pool/beach from living room or the bedrooms. The pool is great and there is a section for kids as well. There were several babysitters you could hire and they were great with kids too. We stayed in one of the apartments by the pool and it was great (don't know how the semi-circle building is). Loved the interior design as well as the exterior architecture. The bathroom fixtures are top notch and kitchen is well equipped too. This is a model for small luxury hotels and I wish there were more hotels like this instead of the 500 room corporate run hotel. The service is impeccable too, both at the restaurant and at the hotel. There is a spa/massage right on the beach also if you like that. There is free WiFi and breakfast also, which is very good.

Only disappointment was the food at the beach front restaurant wasn't great and I thought could improve, considering the tons of options you have in Las Terrenas town. Food was expensive also which made the disappointment worse. It's been 8 months since we stayed, so may be food is better now. Will definitely consider visiting again and is highly recommended for a relaxed stay in Las Terrenas.

Room Tip: Any room in the apartments by the pool. We were a couple travelling with an infant and had the 1 bed...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BrunoGaudio, General Manager at Sublime Samana, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Grettings from Sublime Samana.
We are so glad to heard that you enjoyed your vacations with us. We really appreciate your feedback.
I'm happy to tell you that we have improved our food in this eight months and right now is one of our best services in the hotel.
Once again, thank you for taking the time for sharing your comments and look forward to welcoming again.

Kind regards
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Having read the reviews prior to our arrival, I had high expectations, and Sublime Samana does not disappoint.

Located an easy 30 minute drive from the El Catey airport through breathtaking scenery, the hotel is tucked away on a beautiful bay with very little development.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom casita with rooftop for 9 nights plus an additional 3 nights after negotiating an early departure with another hotel. Yes, we liked it that much!

The casita is spacious and new. Lots of closet space to hide the kids' mess. A full kitchen, living room and dining room. Panoramic views of the property with 3 balconies and the roof top terrace. Oh, and 4 bathrooms!

It is clear that obsessive attention to design and detail is at the heart of this hotel, and it really makes a difference.

The pools are fantastic. One is in theory reserved for adults, though guests disregarded this notice throughout our stay. The other pool is right by the beach and a godsend to parents like us who dread wasting the vacation by a hotel pool.. it is both lovely and well positioned so you don't miss the view!

The restaurant food was very good and the service exceptional. Really, couldn't ask for better staff. The cocktails and natural fruit juices are delicious.

The gym is great and I used it every night.

The beach is calm enough for kids, and management lent us some boogie boards which was a lot of fun. The sand is soft and golden, with pink sea shells and sand dollars.

Special thanks to the managers Bruno and Karina who took time to get to know us and who are genuinely concerned about the quality of your stay.

In the spirit of giving a balanced review, here's where I think the hotel could be improved (though I forgot to mention it when asked by management). I felt using small bottles of water (supplied) was not environmentally friendly and wonder if there is another way to supply water to guests.

In terms of the area, it is very isolated. You will need to get a car to see the sights. Tours will pick you up, however. The hotel can arrange delivery of groceries.

Finally, the hike along the beach is really memorable, though I wish there was another hike in the area to appreciate the native forest. You'll be able to get an earful at night if you visit the kid's playground. Love the frogs.

You'll have a fantastic time at Sublime Samana!

Room Tip: They all look good, but we loved the rooftop casita.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi Nicole!!
Thank you so much for your great comments. It was fantastic to meet you and your family.
Please be sure that your suggestions regarding the bottles are taken into considerations and we are looking for a different way to supplie water to our guests.
Thanks too for share this wonderfull photos.
Best regards for you and your family!
Hasta pronto!
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a great time at Sublime Samaná!

The staff was always friendly and very helpful! The rooms were spacious, very clean and beautifully decorated. Every room has a kitchen in case you want to cook there. We went in low season so it rained a little bit, but it was still great to rest and use the spa (great massages!).

The beach is beautiful and the place really quiet, great for resting and enjoying the excellent service.
Las Terrenas in only 10 minutes away in car, it's a good idea to rent a car in El Catey airport if you want to explore the area. You can visit Samaná, los Haitises National Park and Cascada el Limón.

We would love to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Sublime Samana for your vacations. We are so glad to heard that you enjoyed your vacations with us.
And thank you for taking the time for sharing your comments with us and the travel community.

Best regards!!
Nos vemos!
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Sublime Samana; the WiFi is very strong throughout the resort (I Facetimed my boyfriend from the pool that's just steps from the ocean and made him jealous with the incredible sunset behind me!).

And the beach! I walked and walked and walked—for about 15-20 minutes and there was nothing but natural freshwater pools and streams and untouched beach; it was fun to walk out on the palm trees that had fallen over into the water. I finally came to a cute bar/restaurant, but the Samana peninsula, where this resort is located, is really quiet and all-natural.

The resort itself is brand new and gorgeous, with tall ceilings, giant bathrooms, lovely landscaping and very helpful and genuinely nice employees, who went out of their way to help me in any way I needed. And the spa staff was FANTASTIC! I had a massage and a facial and both were super-relaxing - the spa is right on the beach and so the only thing you hear is the waves....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
BrunoGaudio, General Manager at Sublime Samana, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi Starre!
Thank you very much for your fantastic comments and thank you for taking the time to share it.
It is great to read that you had Fantastic time at Sublime.
I will share your comment with our Spa Manager and all our staff. We value it enormously!

We look forward to your visit soon again.

Hasta pronto!!

Been to Sublime Samana? Share your experiences!