“an incredible place, the best place on Terrenas Dominican Republic.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Albachiara Hotel

Save Saved
You added Albachiara Hotel to your Saves list
Albachiara Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 27 de Febrero | Camino Playa de Popy, Las Terrenas 32000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Las Terrenas
“an incredible place, the best place on Terrenas Dominican Republic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Excellent treatment of staff, very comfortable rooms, located in a great place, everything is very close, a place for a good stay and enjoy the delights of the country, the manager very attentive to detail, totally gourmet breakfast, have two rabbits as pets for kids conoscan of nature, and we can all feel in a real peace and quiet retreat

• Stayed August 2013
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. It was a pleasure to serve you. Kind regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in Albarchiara for 4 nights so we could visits DR outside of the All-Inclusive our company had organized later in the week. All four of my friends really enjoyed our stay.

The room were well maintained and comfortable. The AC was a life saver at night and the bedroom felt nice and closed off from the Mosquitos and pests. The kitchen with fridge was a nice convienence because we could store snacks and beers for days lounging at the pool. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful.

The location of this hotel is wonderful if you want to go exploring around a small DR city. We found lots of hidden jewels including an eccentric cigar shop and owner who ended up gifting our friend a lovely box because he had become a regular. I loved the little boulangerie around the block and often went there to grab a coffee and pastry. Many of the restaurants in the area are good but too many are Italian themed. We wanted food that was more authentic to the area. FYI don't eat the oysters the guys they to sell you around the beach.

The breakfast at the hotel was nice and more than we expected. You can have a fresh omelet made for you and there is nice fruit. The pastry and meat is not that good. I didn't experience it myself but my friend said that one of the breakfast ladies was rude whe she asked for her omelet?

The reason this hotel doesn't get full stars is because the beach outside the hotel is not that nice. It's very close to a busy road and the photos might lead you to believe otherwise. I'm not saying I think their photos are misleading because you can see the road there. It's just something to be aware of if you have children or you expected the beach to feel more tranquil. With the said, within a very short walk down the road the beach widens and it feels more removed from the street. There a lots of beach front restaurants around there too. Also, the water situation in our room could have been better. They gave us a fresh water jug that was almost empty and hard to pump water out of. Our friends had to ask for thiers to be delivered because it was totally empty. This seems like something the staff should be on top of and not make us pester them for. It's common knowledge that foreigners can't drink the water. But overall none of the above concerns really amounts to much of a complaint. I liked this place.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your opinion. All our guests opinions are very useful for us. We are pleased to know that you liked our Hotel and we thank you very much for choosing it. We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon.
Clinton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Staff was super-friendly. The A/C in our room was broken upon checkin- so they upgraded us to a two-bedroom apartment- for no charge. Everything was very clean and exactly as described. The layout of the hotel is very inviting for hanging out- all the patios face the pool and there are tables/chairs set out on each patio- the con of this is you also get to hear everyone's laughter/yelling/etc- I was unable to take a nap every afternoon when we returned from excursions- even with ear plugs. The staff was very good about shutting down the pool at 10pm- allowing for a quieter night to rest. They offer excellent security for the grounds/parking lot- I have to admit I was scared the first time I seen guys with guns- but as we wandered more around the DR I was grateful that they were trying to protect us/our property. Breakfast was simple but always good; Cereal, juices, fruit, pancakes/omelets etc. The beach in front of the hotel is not the best- but I admit it is 150% better than having businesses/shacks or anything else in front of the hotel. About 5 minutes either way up the beach is much cleaner/nicer beach areas with awesome cafes/restaraunts. HIGHLY RECOMMEND: Mojito's- little cafe- AWESOME food and friendly service- Owner is a doll :)
Overall: The more we travelled around and seen the different conditions the more I appreciated Albachiara- Really was a great deal and a pretty awesome location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing!!! The staff is super fun and you feel like family!!!!

The room is specious and the place is SUPER clean!!!! For sure my place to come anytime I come to Las Terrenas!!! Love this place

• Stayed August 2013
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. It was a pleasure to host you and it is a great satisfaction to know that you were fully satisfied. He hope to see you again very soon. Kind regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time here, the best feature for me was the breakfast, everything I needed to start my day. The pool was great morning, After coming home from the day and a late night swim. The Rooms were well-kept and I like that they had a Kitchen refrigerator stove. Good location, And staff really aimed to please. ;)

• Stayed July 2013
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. It was a pleasure to host you and it is a great satisfaction to know that you were fully satisfied. We are looking forward to seeing you again very soon! Kind Regards.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I wrote a fair and balanced review of our personal experience at this hotel.

It was removed without explanation. I hope for the sake of transparency, that this one is not removed. I should also mention, for the sake of transparency, that the Hotel Owner offered me a bribe to take down my review (I have the evidence to back this up in writing). My response was clear, I would not stay at this hotel again even if they offered me $100 dollars a night in cash to stay there.

On to the review:

PROs:
Cheap: The stay is cheap, but some would call it expensive for the quality of service received at this establishment.

Clean: The rooms were pretty spotless, although the sheets felt a little worn.

CONS:
Service: Less than eager service at the breakfast buffet. The staff was visibly annoyed at having to prepare breakfast for my PREGNANT wife.

Quality: The quality of the food was very, very poor for the breakfast offering.

Facilities: The grounds are covered in over-watered grass and foliage that creates swampy conditions. This attracts insects, mosquitos, etc. The pool area was a source of constant drunken screaming.

The beach in front of the property is not very nice or inviting and is only a couple of meters from a high traffic road.

Noise: When the daytime drunken screaming at the pool ends, you can look forward to sleeping to booming music coming from the bodega less than 100 meters away from the edge of the property.

This is not a place where you can relax easily.

Conclusion:
I don't want to wreck anyone's business, only share our personal experience while staying here. So no matter how many emails management sends me, I will keep posting this review because I believe that transparency makes us all better. Obviously, some people have better experiences than we had, because other reviews are great.

That being said, I cannot recommend staying at this hotel until they have addressed the issues, some of which are unaddressable. It should also be noted that negative reviews for this property seem to disappear, which may contribute to the reason it is so highly rated. This should make the traveler weary.

This is my best attempt at helping you, the traveler, out.

Room Tip: The west side of the hotel may be quieter because it is farther away from the bodega.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hi all, I have stayed numerous times at the Alba Chiara and really like the place a lot but I felt like I had to write this review in light of an incident that occurred with an employee at breakfast. I went up a little later than the posted breakfast times and tried to get some toast and fried eggs (the griddle was still on and hot and there were dozens of eggs next to it) but was yelled at by an employee that barely spoke spanish who offered me juice and told me that it was too late for breakfast. My brother in law and cousin were at a table having their late breakfast and felt so bad about how the lady treated me that they offered me half of their breakfast which I declined. Out of roughly 10+ visits here this is just the 2nd bad thing that has happened (my sister got 100 dollars stolen from her purse in the room once) everything else about this place is excellent. The rooms are clean, the people are friendly (except for the breakfast lady) and the location is 2nd to none (beach across the street, liquor store right next door and Pizza Coco restaurant a couple of meters away for some excellent thin crust pizza and pasta). This is a great place for families to visit and the new highway has made it easier than ever to get to las terrenas so make sure and head out to Alba Chiara for a couple of relaxing days and don't be late to breakfast!! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing our Hotel and for your review about your stay! Your opinion is very important for us to constantly improve our service. We have taken your suggestions regarding employee's attitude at the breakfast into consideration, thank you for that!. We are really sorry for the little disapointement, we will talk with our front desk staff! As a family business it is very important for us that every guest feels like home during the stay and I want to apologize once again that we were not able to accomplish this! Nevertheless we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will soon have the possibilty to welcome you again at our Hotel. Kind regards !!

Been to Albachiara Hotel? Share your experiences!