“Extremely Disappointing. Second Review” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Albachiara Hotel

Save Saved
You added Albachiara Hotel to your Saves list
Albachiara Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 27 de Febrero | Camino Playa de Popy, Las Terrenas 32000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Extremely Disappointing. Second Review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I wrote a fair and balanced review of our personal experience at this hotel.

It was removed without explanation. I hope for the sake of transparency, that this one is not removed. I should also mention, for the sake of transparency, that the Hotel Owner offered me a bribe to take down my review (I have the evidence to back this up in writing). My response was clear, I would not stay at this hotel again even if they offered me $100 dollars a night in cash to stay there.

On to the review:

PROs:
Cheap: The stay is cheap, but some would call it expensive for the quality of service received at this establishment.

Clean: The rooms were pretty spotless, although the sheets felt a little worn.

CONS:
Service: Less than eager service at the breakfast buffet. The staff was visibly annoyed at having to prepare breakfast for my PREGNANT wife.

Quality: The quality of the food was very, very poor for the breakfast offering.

Facilities: The grounds are covered in over-watered grass and foliage that creates swampy conditions. This attracts insects, mosquitos, etc. The pool area was a source of constant drunken screaming.

The beach in front of the property is not very nice or inviting and is only a couple of meters from a high traffic road.

Noise: When the daytime drunken screaming at the pool ends, you can look forward to sleeping to booming music coming from the bodega less than 100 meters away from the edge of the property.

This is not a place where you can relax easily.

Conclusion:
I don't want to wreck anyone's business, only share our personal experience while staying here. So no matter how many emails management sends me, I will keep posting this review because I believe that transparency makes us all better. Obviously, some people have better experiences than we had, because other reviews are great.

That being said, I cannot recommend staying at this hotel until they have addressed the issues, some of which are unaddressable. It should also be noted that negative reviews for this property seem to disappear, which may contribute to the reason it is so highly rated. This should make the traveler weary.

This is my best attempt at helping you, the traveler, out.

Room Tip: The west side of the hotel may be quieter because it is farther away from the bodega.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hi all, I have stayed numerous times at the Alba Chiara and really like the place a lot but I felt like I had to write this review in light of an incident that occurred with an employee at breakfast. I went up a little later than the posted breakfast times and tried to get some toast and fried eggs (the griddle was still on and hot and there were dozens of eggs next to it) but was yelled at by an employee that barely spoke spanish who offered me juice and told me that it was too late for breakfast. My brother in law and cousin were at a table having their late breakfast and felt so bad about how the lady treated me that they offered me half of their breakfast which I declined. Out of roughly 10+ visits here this is just the 2nd bad thing that has happened (my sister got 100 dollars stolen from her purse in the room once) everything else about this place is excellent. The rooms are clean, the people are friendly (except for the breakfast lady) and the location is 2nd to none (beach across the street, liquor store right next door and Pizza Coco restaurant a couple of meters away for some excellent thin crust pizza and pasta). This is a great place for families to visit and the new highway has made it easier than ever to get to las terrenas so make sure and head out to Alba Chiara for a couple of relaxing days and don't be late to breakfast!! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing our Hotel and for your review about your stay! Your opinion is very important for us to constantly improve our service. We have taken your suggestions regarding employee's attitude at the breakfast into consideration, thank you for that!. We are really sorry for the little disapointement, we will talk with our front desk staff! As a family business it is very important for us that every guest feels like home during the stay and I want to apologize once again that we were not able to accomplish this! Nevertheless we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will soon have the possibilty to welcome you again at our Hotel. Kind regards !!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We came here as it was recommended by a well established local real estate agent. The location itself is well worth the money. Like most visiting from the States we traveled here from Las Americas Airport. To say that we were not very impressed with the drive or at first look, with the town is an understatement. Don’t get me wrong, we went out the following morning and discovered a town full of activity, friendly people and hundreds of stops. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel's proximity to everything in town and more so with the beach, number of restaurants and clubs within an easy walking distance. The hotel is very quiet and even for the location (a sea of motor-conchas (Mopeds) zipping-by) this is not a factor, not even while sitting at the poll. The rooms are very clean and the studio setting with the front kitchen/sitting room divided by a door to the bedroom makes it perfect for entertaining. Our room had a very nice sitting balcony facing the pool and partially the ocean, which was helpful on the one day it rained. Service was always available and would even make store runs (for ice/beer/groceries) if you need it. We did not use this service but noticed other visiting guests who did. To compliment, their breakfast was really good and healthy. If there is one complaint is that it stops at 10:00 a.m. On average this might be o.k. but after all, you are in the D.R. and you will stay out late, so while it may seem that 09:00 a.m. is late to get up for breakfast, trust me, it will come up on you earlier than you wish. My only drawback was that not been familiar with Las Terrenas and driving conditions, we prepaid for the entire stayed. In reality we should have booked up to the day before our flight out of Las Americas and since our stayed was pre-paid we could not get a refund on the last night. At the last minute we made reservations in Santo Domingo and forfeited the last evening. In retrospect we should have made plans to stay in Santo Domingo the last evening on our trip. Would not recommend doing otherwise since traveling to and from Las Terrenas and Santo Domingo can be a hard drive depending on how good of a time you might have had. We stopped for fuel right before the last toll-booth and went in for a quick snack. This was a big time surprise. This gas station/restaurant/liquor store is a well known weekend locals spot. It has a Famous Dave’s style BBQ and smoked ovens. We had a huge BBQ meal consisting of BBQ ribs, rabbit, cabrito (goat) and side dishes (rice and beans, sweet potatoes, fried plantain (tostones), baked onions, desserts and drinks for less than $30.00. Their bathroom were very clean and is a self service gas station so if you just want the fuel you don’t even have to get out of car. Highly recommend stopping here if hungry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Guest, First of all, we want to thank you the time it took you to write these words. We always try and continue working so hard to focus our attention in what our customers deserve. As you mentioned, our hotel is strategically located in the heart of the city of Las Terrenas, where you can enjoy all its charms. Hope to see you next time. Greeting!
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've been to Samana before and this hotel was nicer than the one I stayed at last time. Johana helped us have a good time. She was very informative and helped us choose the right excursions. This hotel also provides free breakfast buffet type. We had pancakes, cereal, fruits, natural juices, omelette, croissants, ham and cheese etc. Josefina was so nice with us, she would come to our table and ask us if we wanted any more food and she would gladly bring it. These rooms have an equipped kitchen so I was able to do a pineapple mint shake in the afternoon and pasta for dinner but what I like about Samana is all the nearby restaurants you can choose from. We also went to the pueblo de Los pescadores and ate in La Terrasse for dinner and for lunch and the food was delicious. We had a car rental and a map Johana provided so we were able to get around. I dont know if they have a fitness center but i would wake up early and run on the beach. Since I love the beach I would use their pool late at night like at 9:00pm and relax. I had a good time:)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback and we are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again at Albachiara Hotel. Regards!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of days and we really enjoyed it. It's located very close to the city with great restaurants and bars. In addition the hotel is on the beach so you can step outside of room and bask in the caribbean sun on the beach. The breakfast they offer is really good with real bread! The staff is very welcoming and service-minded that speaks english. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to know, that you liked the hotel and you were also satisfied with our staff! We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Or stay was from 6-11 of July

Beautiful hotel and Albachiara is in a GREAT location. Pool on premises...Beach outside of your door.. Room cleaned with a towel change every day. Close to food and activities. FREE BREAKFAST. Delicious breakfast choices. We were stuffed after every sitting.
We do not know any Spanish... so at times we were uneasy. But Thank God for Joanna who was so helpful. It made our stay very pleasant. Thanks to Frank for helping me with our arrangements

I'm very pleased with our choice of hotel. We will be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbaHotel2010, Front Office Manager at Albachiara Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about our Hotel. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially for mentioning our great customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Kind Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We went last weekend and it was more that we expected it. Gorgeous rooms and better breakfast. Great location so you won't even need to Rent a Car. Tips to the staff as well, very secure place. Highly recommend

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gues, Thank you so much for your comment. It is a great satisfaction for us to know that your stay at our hotel was a pleasant experience for you. We will be very pleased to welcome you back in our hotel. Kind regards.

Been to Albachiara Hotel? Share your experiences!